6A Playoffs the way I see it....after week 9.

randymc

Another scenario being looked at (heard from a co-worker) is the possibility a middle north and middle south. I don’t know how that is going to work, but there are way too many rumors and uncertainty out there. I hope TSSAA gets this straighten out, but again it’s going to take time. Hopefully, it will be worked out by next year.

I could see them doing this...that would be grouping them geographically, which is the "rule". BUT I really don't see them putting Oakland, Riverdale, Blackman, Independence, Franklin and Brentwood in the same Quad and sending Cookeville all the way to Clarksville, this would defeat the purpose of the new system, which was to cut down on travel. BUT if it's about $$$, why wouldn't they want 2 guaranteed matchups between Rutherford and Williamson Co teams? I sure hope they decide against this, it will create a very weak playoffs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy,

In response to Fred's original post, you posted total mileage between Brentwood and Franklin as compared to Mount Juliet. I see Indepenence as the most likely candidate of these four to go east. Because they are all so similar in geographics, I think they'll pluck the wildcard and send them east (which they mentioned earlier if geographics were similar and makes sense)...look at Independence on the travel tape.

Independence to Murfreesboro: 27.4 miles

Independence to Winchester: 89.2 miles

Independence to Coffee County: 51.3 miles

Independence to Cookeville: 101.7 miles

Total: 269 (and I don't like totals because truthfully Independence is the same distance as MJ to Murfreesboro, and technically closer than MJ to Manchester or Winchester)...Cookeville is a remote possiblity for these teams as they will all likely enter as a 5 or higher and Cookeville will be a 3 if they win...

I do not see sending a potential 10-0 team in MJ or 9-1 Franklin or 8-2 Brentwood (depending on outcomes of these two games) before a wildcard when they are all geographically similar...that does an injustice to the team you send and the teams you send them to...I would not want to explain to Riverdale that they are not a #1 seed after beating Oakland, Farragut, Smyrna, Siegel, and possibly Blackman because Mount Juliet is moving in...not very popular when it can be avoided.

Having said all that, I think you have done an awesome job for the most part on this and hope that you are involved in some way because you have been open to discussion and made good observations.

Randy,

In response to Fred's original post, you posted total mileage between Brentwood and Franklin as compared to Mount Juliet. I see Indepenence as the most likely candidate of these four to go east. Because they are all so similar in geographics, I think they'll pluck the wildcard and send them east (which they mentioned earlier if geographics were similar and makes sense)...look at Independence on the travel tape.

Independence to Murfreesboro: 27.4 miles

Independence to Winchester: 89.2 miles

Independence to Coffee County: 51.3 miles

Independence to Cookeville: 101.7 miles

Total: 269 (and I don't like totals because truthfully Independence is the same distance as MJ to Murfreesboro, and technically closer than MJ to Manchester or Winchester)...Cookeville is a remote possiblity for these teams as they will all likely enter as a 5 or higher and Cookeville will be a 3 if they win...

I do not see sending a potential 10-0 team in MJ or 9-1 Franklin or 8-2 Brentwood (depending on outcomes of these two games) before a wildcard when they are all geographically similar...that does an injustice to the team you send and the teams you send them to...I would not want to explain to Riverdale that they are not a #1 seed after beating Oakland, Farragut, Smyrna, Siegel, and possibly Blackman because Mount Juliet is moving in...not very popular when it can be avoided.

Having said all that, I think you have done an awesome job for the most part on this and hope that you are involved in some way because you have been open to discussion and made good observations.

I understand your argument. But they geographic groups are not for 1st round only, basically for 1st 3 rounds, so I would think they would take all that into consideration, which includes Cookeville. And I REALLY do not think they will but a Brentwood or Franklin in with Oakland Riverdale and Blackman.

Bottom line is there must be 2 teams moved into this Quad (if you take Oakland, Riverdale, Blackman, Cookeville, Coffee Co, and Franklin Co) because that's only 6 teams. I agree Independence should come over, but then who is the 8th team to fill out this quad?, I really think it will be Mt. Juliet. How would you avoid it? Move in McGavock? or the loser of Franklin/Brentwood...a lot of people would see the Franklin/Brentwood loser as more unfair than moving in Mt. Juliet....a WHOLE lot of people. And making Quad 3 quite a bit easier.

As I look at the map more, I would be VERY shocked if Franklin or Brentwood is placed in the same quad as Oakland/Riverdale/Blackman. If they did, maybe you could might could cut your playoff field down to 8 teams and bring in 3 more teams and play an 8 team playoff. I know it's hard to seed Riverdale 2nd in any Quad, and they could avoid it by moving in Franklin/Brentwood loser or McGavock, but it's their own rules that wouldn't allow Riverdale to be seeded #1. If they moved Mt. Juliet into the quad with the Franklin/Brentwood winner, they same arguments could be made.

Understood to a degree...would more people be upset with an undefeated team getting moved into their quad or a 2 or 3 loss team...because geographics is a push. They will project, and the projection will include the Murfreesboro teams winning the first team rounds, which makes the Cookeville arguement rather moot, and you left out Smyrna...barring something unforseen, they will be the seventh team in that quad which leaves one to move...and that one should be Independence.

Understood to a degree...would more people be upset with an undefeated team getting moved into their quad or a 2 or 3 loss team...because geographics is a push. They will project, and the projection will include the Murfreesboro teams winning the first team rounds, which makes the Cookeville arguement rather moot, and you left out Smyrna...barring something unforseen, they will be the seventh team in that quad which leaves one to move...and that one should be Independence.

Smyrna ONLY gets in with a win tonight vs. Oakland....so they could get in, but I wouldn't bet on it...but I am an Oakland fan....Smyrna can not get a WC spot. And I would be willing to bet OHS RHS BHS IHS CHS CCHS FCHS would all rather have an undefeated MJ in their quad that FHS or BHS....just my opinion. No slight to MJHS.

So, what we know after tonight:

Oakland secured at worst 3rd in D7, 2nd if Riverdale beats Blackman tomorrow night.

Smyrna fans are BIG Bolton and Independence Fans Friday night.

Mt Juliet gets 1st D9 if Gallatin beats Hendersonville friday night, 2nd if Hendersonville beats Gallatin.

Mt Juliet fans are BIG Gallatin fans, and Blackman fans if you are looking at seeding and think they will be in a quad with Riverdale.

No news on the Kirby game out of memphis.

Oak Ridge secured 2nd in D3 with Clinton beating Anderson Co