Division II Playoff Seedings

3yardsandacloudofdust

I would say that 2 from the West and 4 or 6 from E/m would be a reasonable number.

Some limited regular season play between the E/M and West (while a travel hassle) would also be a good thing for the division. Right now, we have no idea of how to compare, for instance, Ensworth and MUS. They have no common opponents.

In a division this small, there are a lot of problems with staging a play-off. If you go back to a less enlightened era (3 divisions with 16 districts, only the district winner goes to the play-offs), there were relatively few rematches, and every district game (all but 3 or 4 regular season games were district games) was vital. The occasional rematch is interesting, but it's not incoceivable that most of the play-offs will consist of rematches, rendering the regular season little more than a seeding tournament, as more than one writer has noted.

Someone put out the idea of awarding the championship on the basis of the regualr season, and concluding the season with each team playing a big Thanksgiving rivalry game. I like that, although since that would limit the TSSAA'a ability to give Div II a championship date more befitting a middle school make-up game, it'll never happen.

I've actually reached the point where I agree with the conclusion of the whining contingent in Div I, albeit for different reasons: the pariahs who give financial aid need to go into their own association. Make it an amicable split so that the public programs with stones can play private schools if they desire, and let the private schools make decisions that reflect their interests. The one overarching rule is that there must be a lottery system among the middle Tn schools to provide a free education to any young man zoned to Riverdale for as long as Ron Aydelott coaches there.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that 2 from the West and 4 or 6 from E/m would be a reasonable number.

Some limited regular season play between the E/M and West (while a travel hassle) would also be a good thing for the division. Right now, we have no idea of how to compare, for instance, Ensworth and MUS. They have no common opponents.

In a division this small, there are a lot of problems with staging a play-off. If you go back to a less enlightened era (3 divisions with 16 districts, only the district winner goes to the play-offs), there were relatively few rematches, and every district game (all but 3 or 4 regular season games were district games) was vital. The occasional rematch is interesting, but it's not incoceivable that most of the play-offs will consist of rematches, rendering the regular season little more than a seeding tournament, as more than one writer has noted.

Someone put out the idea of awarding the championship on the basis of the regualr season, and concluding the season with each team playing a big Thanksgiving rivalry game. I like that, although since that would limit the TSSAA'a ability to give Div II a championship date more befitting a middle school make-up game, it'll never happen.

I've actually reached the point where I agree with the conclusion of the whining contingent in Div I, albeit for different reasons: the pariahs who give financial aid need to go into their own association. Make it an amicable split so that the public programs with stones can play private schools if they desire, and let the private schools make decisions that reflect their interests. The one overarching rule is that there must be a lottery system among the middle Tn schools to provide a free education to any young man zoned to Riverdale for as long as Ron Aydelott coaches there.

Does "zoned to Riverdale" mean a camper on a vacant lot in the Riverdale school zone with a Middle Tn Electric utility box hooked up?

What are the chances the DII schools could get R. Carter to come out of retirement to head the newly established PSSAA (Private Secondary School Athletic Association)?

Just kidding about Carter.

SOME ITEMS THAT THE PSSAA WOULD NEED TO SHOW SOME ATTENTION TO:

Championship football game would be played on........the weekend.

Only 8 teams eligible for playoffs.

New rules, the defense can jump thru the neutral zone without penalty and you can run kickoffs out of end zones.

Public and private schools can play each other without effecting playoff eligibility.

Does "zoned to Riverdale" mean a camper on a vacant lot in the Riverdale school zone with a Middle Tn Electric utility box hooked up?

What are the chances the DII schools could get R. Carter to come out of retirement to head the newly established PSSAA (Private Secondary School Athletic Association)?

Just kidding about Carter.

SOME ITEMS THAT THE PSSAA WOULD NEED TO SHOW SOME ATTENTION TO:

Championship football game would be played on........the weekend.

Only 8 teams eligible for playoffs.

New rules, the defense can jump thru the neutral zone without penalty and you can run kickoffs out of end zones.

Public and private schools can play each other without effecting playoff eligibility.

It might be best if everyone with an opinion (or a complaint) about the playoff structure in Div II forward their comments here:

http://www.tssaa.org/IntForms/feedbackform.cfm

If you want it to change, let them know and maybe something will begin to happen.

To the best that I can tell, here are the stakes going into tonight's games:

Ryan: Win tonight: #2 seed. Loss: #4 (with MBA loss) or #5 (with MBA win).

BA: Win tonight combined with Ryan loss: #2. Win with Ryan win: #3. Loss: #3.

MBA: Win tonight with Ryan loss: #3. Win with Ryan win: #4. Loss: Likely #6, possibly #4 or #5.

Baylor: Win with MBA loss: #3. Win with MBA win: #4. Loss: #5 or #6.

BGA: MBA win: #6. MBA loss and Baylor win: #5. MBA loss and Baylor loss: #4, #5 or #6.

1st Round Matchups:

McCallie at Briarcrest (winner plays at Ryan)

St. Benedict @ Baylor (winner plays at MUS)

BGA @ MBA (winner plays at Ensworth)

JPII at BA (winner plays at Christian Bros)

I don't know a lot about the Memphis area teams, but Baylor and McCallie both have pretty decent teams (based on watching them play MBA). If BA sends the same team out to play JP II that they used against MBA, I'm leaning towards a short game. The only one that I wouldn't want to bet on is the only one that interests me. MBA should beat BGA, but then they should have beaten them a few weeks ago. No word on whether they've recieved the memo this time.