Early 7AAA predictions?

LiverpoolReds

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season will be very competitive, I think Riverdale is the favorite with Blackman and Lavergne close behind. Blackman returns its best senior forward and has a strong junior class that should contribute alot this season. My prediction is :

1) Riverdale

2) Blackman

3)Lavergne

4)Siegel

5)Oakland

6)Smyrna

just looking at your prediction, i am left with a few question. riverdale loses compton (who was pretty much the only thing they had) and is your top team. Who does riverdale have now? you have platez mixed in with a bunch of overrated young players who are yet to prove anything themselves. the team i see as a huge factor in this district is siegel. They have young players who have actually proved themselves. producing this districts past two top jv teams. I know there is a big difference between jv and varsity. but something just tells me that this year. siegel will live up to their talent level.unlike past seasons.

so here is my prediction

1.Siegel/ La Vergne ( boths teams i see with alot of potential and its to early to decide on either one)

3.Oakland/blackmon( blackmon has a strong forward and oakland has some pieces of the puzzle if they can just put it together)

5.riverdale (just need to have those young skilled players prove something without compton running the show)

6.Smyrna (just got switched into a tough district)

Very interesting! Futbol101, I can see why you give Riverdale the early number 1 as they are always at the top of the district, but I slightly agree with soccerfan011 in that Riverdale might not be as successful this year. Definitely not as harsh as soccerfan's opinions, but I feel that Riverdale will have more steady competition this year within the district... It is truly a toss up (that's why I've started this topic). It's hard to pick the top 3 or 4 in this district so early. Riverdale, LaVergne, Siegel, and Blackman will all have strong teams.. all of which lost talented seniors. Riverdale will depend on the strength of the younger players, Siegel will have to debut new players onto the varsity pitch (which I believe may be underestimated), LaVergne will be a contender with a few strong midfielders, and Blackman will of course have strength in the offense. Oakland, for what I have heard, has once again picked up foreign exchange students, so they will also be a contender depending on the talent of the exchange players. If I had to choose a list it might look a little like:

1-3. Riverdale, Siegel, or LaVergne

4-5. Blackman or Oakland

6. Smyrna

The reason I see Riverdale as the top ream is Pletiz, and yes Compton was a great player whos gone, but the main reason I pick them is COACHING. Coach Arman gets more from so called " over rated young players" than most coaches can. And btw my son doesnt play for Riverdale so I have no reason to toot there horn, I just know most of the local Rutherford County soccer talent and know coach Arman gets those boys to play hard every game.

Blackman per team probably hasnt the most talented team, but time will tell if these boys will play as a team or will last year resurface again. :thumb:

Lavergne is a very strong team that has a great chance to win district this year, so I wouldnt be suprised at all if there at seasons end.

Siegel will start alot of talent that in the past from JV teams has shown alot of potiental, and any night should be able to beat any district team, just will wait and see how it goes.

Oakland did lose the big forward exchange student, and yes replaced him I believe with a couple more, but just think depth will hurt them this year.

I dont think this district has a true dominant team, all the teams are strong with most having many talented select players in every line up so I believe it will be a very close race this year in District 7 AAA. This is just my opinion, it may be close or totally off base, it just depends on how the boys do each and every district game.

Well said, I agree with the most part of what you are saying here. Coach Arman is a fantastic coach and has lead Riverdale to many successful seasons throughout the years, and no doubt that he can do it again. If Arman is mentioned, I feel the need to also throw Shelton and Vice in the mix, as both coaches proved capable of producing strong teams.

• 2 weeks later...

soccerfan011...

You appear very knowledgeable. I have one very simple question for you...

How many of Riverdale's 19 games did you watch "in person" in spring 2009? According to eurosport scoreboard their record was 15-3-1 (with 14 of the wins by two or more goals and all three losses by one goal...to McCallie, Columbia and Cleveland). I have heard they had one or two underclassmen starters that missed all or nearly all of last season due to injury.

last year i watched 3 different riverdale games. and they were a good team last year. but the sole reason they won 15 games was for compton. Riverdale had a sweeper who could kick the ball out ( eli or something?) they had one midfielder (compton) and they had one forward (platez). The rest of the team was full of underclassmen role players. Compton and Eli are gone now and all they have are a bunch of role players and platez. Unless Riverdale has a player in the midfield step up and a player in the back step up. I dont see them going far.

This past weekend i went and saw the Division 1 state tournament in Murfreesboro. The strikers 92 is the only murfreesboro team in D1 and although they didnt win. I was impressed by how they played competing against the best teams in state. The strikers team is made out of 85% siegel and 15% oakland. Thats why i think siegel will be top this year. They are playing the best in travel season, so most likely the expierence they are gaining will translate over to school season.

I went to watch a few games in the D1 tourament this past weekend as well. I saw M'boro Strikers 92 play their 1st game and watched Brentwood Premier 92 play their 1st on Friday night. I recognized a few on the Strikers, all from either Siegel or Oakland. They played well throughout and were quick to respond to a goal against them. The game ended 2-3 with a goal scored by Knoxville in the final seconds. It was a very close match and a great game of soccer. I look forward to seeing what these boys bring in the school season. Brentwood was also a strong team composed of many of the best throughout middle Tennessee, a few from our district. They created plays and were strong fairly strong attack.

Last season, I caught a few Riverdale games as well. They were obviously the strongest in 7AAA, lead by Compton. I'm interested to see how the absense of Compton will effect Riverdale in the upcoming season.

• 1 month later...

Siegel will have the most talent. They will have more select players than probably any other three teams combined (heck, they will have more on the bench than any other team in the district). However, there has been a lack of cohesiveness in that team. It seems they play like a professional basketball team (everyone running down the pitch wanting the ball, refusing to pass, and shooting). They can put the best group of defenders on the pitch. They should win it, but, they probably should have won it last year or the year before. They will be very solid in every position but really needs a go-to scorer (one of their top potential scorers last year not only played JV, but was placed as a defender).

Blackman has Ryan Zeeck (best scorer in the district) and a bunch of younger boys. But, a team can frustrate him especially if his teammates can't get him the ball. They also lost their keeper and a lot of starters. If Ryan is on, watch out (put up 5 on Siegel), but if he is frustrated, he can be shut down (ask Oakland). They will probably be middle of the pack.

Riverdale should not do anything, but, as always their coach has gotten more out of less talent over the past few years than any other team. Pleitez is back and should be the top scorer in the district (only because I doubt that Ryan will get the touches necessary). They have some solid role players and will not have any real weaknesses. One of their top returners, Eric Warren, might not play. And if you do not believe in Coach Ali, just check his record over the past couple of years and comparatively low number of select players. He will get you in shape and have you play smartly.

Oakland lost their huge foreign exchange student. If he had returned, would have been the top MVP candidate. They got 3 foreign exchange students in return. Will add depth. Should be among the top three teams. While they still will not have the depth of some teams, they will be able to start 11 solid players unlike some previous years. Josh Sanders, all district most valuable defender and all-stater, will return (if you can't score on them, it is hard to beat them). Will probably be in the best shape of any team (even Riverdale who has generally claimed that title).

Smyrna should be down this year. They have a good coach and can surprise people (ask Siegel who they beat last year).

LaVergne is a big question mark. They may potentially have some of the top talent, but the question will be if they will have them playing as a team and on the field.

Prediction: Siegel, Riverdale, Oakland, Blackman, LaVergne, Smyrna

• 1 month later...

Now that teams have played some. What are people thinking?

From what the scores have shown, Riverdale and Oakland have been struggling. I went to the riverdale hendersonville game, and Hendersonville seemed in a different league

Siegel has really impressed me with the scores they have posted. Nothing extravagent, but they are competeting well with the top teams in Tennessee according to the preseason poll, even beat brentwood. Still seems like they are struggling with scoring, as usual. I still need to get out to see a game to make a real claim on how good they are.

How are other teams in district doing?

Riverdale has had some struggling moments but have been resilient. Hendersonville is a strong team but Riverdale also had the 3rd Keeper start so it made it look overpowering in the beginning. Riverdale has already been dealt a tough blow by losing the starting keeper with an injury but it will not affect the overall play of the team. They have a young team and they will only get stronger as the year goes on. It is great that Coach Arman has put together a difficult schedule this year which will really demand the best out of the young team. It will be exciting to watch the progression this year and people will be surprised to find out that Riverdale is not a 2 or 3 player team as some people have suggested about last year's team. 7AAA will be fun as always!