Big 8 Baseball

Gabby

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the season winding down and with Crockett losing to DB, it looks like Science Hill has the inside track to win the regular season conference. They play South tonight, and have remaining games with Boone, Volunteer, Tennessee High, and Sullivan Central. If their pitching can hold out tonight--third game in three nights, the pitching should be aligned so that Daniel Norris will pitch against Boone and THS. I like his odds!

My predictions for the tournament seedings are:

1. Science Hill

2. Dobyns Bennett

3. David Crockett

4. Tennessee High

5. Boone

6. Sullivan South

7. Sullivan Central

8. Volunteer

Seeds 3 through 8 are going to be at a definite disadvantage because they will all be forced to throw their aces in the first game. Of course the 1 and 2 seeds face the old tournament trap of trying to steal that first game with someone other than their ace. After the second game of the tournament--assuming everything goes according to Hoyle, it should be a free-for-all.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the season is about over. Anyone surprised? I have been impressed with how well Science Hill has hit the ball lately. I think everyone was concerned about their pitching at the beginning of the year, but pitching doesn't need to be that good if you score lots of runs. I have also been surprised by how well Tennessee High has done this year.

South Doyle beat Science Hill today. Great game with Clifton pitching for the Cherokees and being relieved by Kirkland. Kirkland had a HR and a triple and 2 intentional walks. The 3rd baseman for SH hit a HR and had a big hit to tie the score in the top of the 7th. He said he was a Freshman #22. South Doyle was ahead 3-2 in the top of the 7th when the freshman got the hit to tie. SH chose to put Kirkand on in the bottom of the 7th as the leadoff batter, and just like so many times this year the next batter Thomas made them pay. Zach hit a screamer to the right field corner and Kirkland scored from 1st to win 4-3. The Kees are on an 8-0 run right now and are looking solid for the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Plowboy,

Sorry to get to you so late. Went saw all the tournament games. Davy Crockett saved their best baseball for the tournament. Their pitching just ran out the last night. SH plays Jefferson County and DC plays Sevier County. I think the Big 8 has a good chance of winning both. I am assuming Norris will be pitching for SH and Freeman for Crockett.

I talked to parent from Morristown West who played Jefferson County. He thought Jeff County was a better hitting team than it was a pitching team.

Any predictions for next year? SH losing 8 seniors, but the core players will be back. Mainly losing 3 outfielders and three pitchers, but those were strengths of JV team. Corey McPhearson will probably be replaced Will Carter and DelGaicco will be replaced by Kevin Nelson. Norris and Zach Thompson are going to be a year older and stronger. I honestly think SH should be just as strong if not stronger next year.

DC losing 4 seniors, but two are Freeman and DeLoach. How is DB shaping up?