Rocky versus Apollo GP at AE

harley04

I'm sorry I forgot you think of it like pro ball where if it's not over 50 yards it's a short pass. Kind of like you saying AE passing game was getting better a few weeks ago or that Fulton was much more physical because they had more rushing yds.

Austin-East passing game has improved. Since GP, Austin-East has thrown the ball efficiently. They haven't had to throw the ball a lot, but they have been efficient.

How do you define a "long passing game?"

Does it really matter? You use stats to try to prove GP doesn't have a long passing play. Then say AE throws the ball efficiently but stats (as I've quoted previously posted) say otherwise.

You have not quoted Austin-East passing stats since the GP game. Since the GP game Austin-East is 21/31 (68%) for 253 yards.

You totally ignored cneagle, I assume because you can't refute.

I replied to cneagle. Look back at the thread.

BTW A curl route can be over 10 yds.

A curl route is usually 10-12 yards... not part of a long passing game.

And I assume the pass to #10 in the Fulton game to didn't happen? I know, I know, that's just 1 pass but you did say you hadn't seen GP (excuse me Tye Marshall) throw down the field against Fulton.

I remember a fade route to #10 that was incomplete. There was a 22 yard completion in that game, but I think it was a screen pass... I could be wrong.

The point is that GP is not going to win any games with their "long passing game." They win games by playing good defense, running the ball, throwing screen passes, and not making many mistakes.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you define a "long passing game?"

Glad to see we are finally getting somewhere with this discussion. If you have seen the tape you say you have, you will have noticed that the levels route concept has played a key part of the passing game. Part of that route combination includes an 8 to 10 yard out route. I would consider that play to be part of a long passing game. GP has also hit the fade pattern with some success over the past few games(look at the Carter and PF games). But ultimately, all GP needs to do is hit one such long play, because that opens up all the shorter routes plus the run game.

You also might want to have the KPD add some extra security at your stadium this week. The rumor floating around town is that all the county fire departments are sending their pump trucks down their under the cover of night to water down the field again. Supposedly it's being coordinated in conjunction with the Navy Seals, Army Rangers, and a retired Green Beret.

I haven't seen the Carter game, but I will look at the PF game. The out routes in the Fulton game appeared to be more like 5-8 yard outs. I wouldn't consider a 5 yard or a 10 yard out as part of a long passing game. They do run a fade with the out route, but I haven't seen them complete many fades. They are more efficient completing the out and much more efficient with their screen game.

As far as extra security from the KPD... they're probably in on watering down the field. Mother nature is probably in on it too.

Seriously, the field conditions will be much better this time around.

I'm a GP fan and I would love to say they will win Friday night but I just don't see it.

GP traditionally has had a lot of trouble against teams with superior speed, which is exactly what Austin East brings to the table. Granted, GP has done a lot better than most would have thought at the beginning of the season entering this region (Beat Fulton, lost to AE by 7). I truly think that the reason why the last GP/AE match up was so close was because of the field condition, which played into GP's favor.

I do not expect Friday nights score to be that close... I hope I' wrong though.

Gosh with fans like you GP doesn't need any enemies. You've got us beat badly and we haven't even played the game yet. Last I checked GP had to play on the same sloppy field AE did during first matchup. It certainly effected GP too. It negated their long passing game and I'm not sure GP has thrown the ball down the field well since.

I'm sure its not raining in Knoxville today just Gat. If AEs field gets wet I'm sure that will be a Gat conspiracy. Paid off water dept, paid helicoptors to drop water, paid fire dept, paid neighborhood kids to drag their water hoses down to the field at night, and on and on.

Way to take my comment entirely out of context. All I was saying is that GP has been used to playing on a wet field all year around, and at times, it has given them a slight advantage over the competition.

Genius you might want to watch the Fulton game again.

You mean to tell me that if AE rolls their corners up in the face of the receivers this Friday like they did at GP that the fade pass couldn't be the difference in the game.

How do you define "efficient"? 18 for 26 in the last 2 regular season games (johnson co wasn't posted) for 216 yards. Average of 8.3 yds per attempt and completion % of 69.2. (Of course thats against the #4 and #6 teams in the district. 1 already out of playoffs and other didn't make.) When you throw the football on 3 things can happen and 2 are bad. I guess since QB completed more than 33% thats efficient.

Now lets look at another important area of the game. Penalties - AE had 41 in 10 games for 316 yds. Now that's efficient.

You mean to tell me that if AE rolls their corners up in the face of the receivers this Friday like they did at GP that the fade pass couldn't be the difference in the game.

How do you define "efficient"? 18 for 26 in the last 2 regular season games (johnson co wasn't posted) for 216 yards. Average of 8.3 yds per attempt and completion % of 69.2. (Of course thats against the #4 and #6 teams in the district. 1 already out of playoffs and other didn't make.) When you throw the football on 3 things can happen and 2 are bad. I guess since QB completed more than 33% thats efficient.

Now lets look at another important area of the game. Penalties - AE had 41 in 10 games for 316 yds. Now that's efficient.

GP is not going to beat anybody by throwing or completing the fade route. They win with what they do well. If you had to rank the things that GP does well, completing the fade route would not be at the top of the list.

I define efficient passing game by completion percentage... 69% (2 out of every 3) is pretty good. 8.3 yards per attempt along with a 69% completion rate (which is better than your 6.75 yards per attempt with a 56% completion rate against the same competition) equals a first down every three plays. The last three games have been against lesser competition, but ...WRs are running better routes, QBs are making better decisions, OL is protecting better, and RBs are doing a better job blocking and getting out in routes... Austin-East's passing game has improved.

4 penalties for 30 yards a game... I thought it would be worse than that. We've had one officiating crew get reprimanded in two separate games for bad calls. We will not get that crew again. A critical penalty at the wrong time could hurt in a close game... that is an area where Austin-East needs to improve.

GP is not going to beat anybody by throwing or completing the fade route. They win with what they do well. If you had to rank the things that GP does well, completing the fade route would not be at the top of the list.

I define efficient passing game by completion percentage... 69% (2 out of every 3) is pretty good. 8.3 yards per attempt along with a 69% completion rate (which is better than your 6.75 yards per attempt with a 56% completion rate against the same competition) equals a first down every three plays. The last three games have been against lesser competition, but ...WRs are running better routes, QBs are making better decisions, OL is protecting better, and RBs are doing a better job blocking and getting out in routes... Austin-East's passing game has improved.

4 penalties for 30 yards a game... I thought it would be worse than that. We've had one officiating crew get reprimanded in two separate games for bad calls. We will not get that crew again. A critical penalty at the wrong time could hurt in a close game... that is an area where Austin-East needs to improve.

Funny how you comment on what you want and avoid everything else. You must be a polictician or should be. Instead of admitting they've completed some "long" passes you say well they won't win that way. Is GP's bread n butter running the football? Sure is but would any thought they would throw for 300 yds against Alcoa 2 yrs ago during playoffs. Crazy things can happy on Friday night. That's why we play the game. GP could win or AE could get 1 win closer to their Christmas wish (Alcoa).

I'll buy that AE's pass game worked better against PF (insert your own joke about the Mighty Tigers here), but you were 4/7 against Gibbs for 53 yards. Unless you can put up dominate numbers on the ground, that kind of passing game isn't going to win any games, regardless of how efficient it is.

By this point in time, we all know each team's strengths and weaknesses. What I want to know is how will AE keep GP from dominating in the trenches like they did last time. I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet that GP will run that unbalanced line until AE stops it, and then they'll probably run it two or three more times just to make sure.

That's why we play the game. GP could win or AE could get 1 win closer to their Christmas wish (Alcoa).

Who is Alcoa? They're a nobody.. Come on now, Alcoa can be beat too.. Just stop their run game then they have nothing.. But hold up, Alcoa will get their chance right now its GP's chance so don't discuss any other team but GP as of now..

its wed. morning woke to more rain over 2 inches in Knoxville.Looks like another sloppy field fri. night maybe not as bad at AE as GP, but still has too be bad. Probley another low scoring contest it might hurt the speed , but also hurts the passing of GP.I don't think I can ever remember playing in this much mud, ever.

Funny how you comment on what you want and avoid everything else. You must be a polictician or should be. Instead of admitting they've completed some "long" passes you say well they won't win that way. Is GP's bread n butter running the football? Sure is but would any thought they would throw for 300 yds against Alcoa 2 yrs ago during playoffs. Crazy things can happy on Friday night. That's why we play the game. GP could win or AE could get 1 win closer to their Christmas wish (Alcoa).

I watched GP vs Happy Valley, Fulton, and Pigeon Forge last night. The 20 yard pass to #10 against Fulton was on a busted play. It was a great catch by #10, but the pass wasn't even intended for him. The QB never saw him, and I don't think he was even suppose to be in the area. The incompletion that I mentioned was a fade route to #4. GP did complete a 22 yard screen to #28 down the middle of the field.

There were no completions down the field against Happy Valley... just 3 INTs thrown. There were a few passes completed down the field against Pigeon Forge, but one of you made the point that Pigeon Forge is not very good. The out route that was spoken of in previous posts is a 5 yard out route... #10 has caught several of them. GP executes that route well.

I don't think GP will complete passes down the field on Friday. I predict that they will complete 1 or less passes over 20 yards.

I'll buy that AE's pass game worked better against PF (insert your own joke about the Mighty Tigers here), but you were 4/7 against Gibbs for 53 yards. Unless you can put up dominate numbers on the ground, that kind of passing game isn't going to win any games, regardless of how efficient it is.

By this point in time, we all know each team's strengths and weaknesses. What I want to know is how will AE keep GP from dominating in the trenches like they did last time. I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet that GP will run that unbalanced line until AE stops it, and then they'll probably run it two or three more times just to make sure.

The unbalanced line was the only time GP drove the ball down the field. Austin-East will be ready for the unbalanced line. You take that one series away and the running statistics are about even for both teams. So, I don't know how you say GP dominated the LOS. Neither team had much success doing anything on that field.

I have two questions for you:

What will GP do when Austin-East shuts down the unbalanced set?

What's GP going to do when they kickoff?

I heard they were going to onside kick every time and punt the ball out of bounds.