Another Playoff Plan

Charlie Murphy

Charlie Murphy Plan (Public Schools Only)

The simplest way for the TSSAA to fix the playoff mess (for publics) is to go back to 3 classes for the 2010 season.

Advantages -

The districts are already set up,

The schedules are set,

Take the top 2 from each district,

Only 1 team with losing record would be in based on 2009 results

Group them into 4 quads based on district (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16)

The only entity that loses in this scenario is the TSSAA, they lose revenue, but…

IT’S A PUBLIC RELATIONS MOVE FOR THEM,

THIS WOULD BE AN OPPORTUNITTY TO DISCOUNT THE CLAIMS THAT THEY ARE ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. THIS COULD BE A GESTURE TO SHOW THAT THE TSSAA IS PUTTING THE KIDS FIRST…..IMO, THIS ALONE SHOULD MAKE IT ATTRACTIVE TO THEM.

Disadvantages-

Some good teams are left out because of the strength of their district (Loudon, Fulton, Livingston Academy)

Here’s what class AA would have looked like

1a Elizabethton (3A)

3b Gatlinburg-Pittman (3A)

2a Greeneville (4A)

4b CAK (3A)

3a Austin-East (3A)

1b Sullivan North (3A)

4a Alcoa (3A)

2b Claiborne County (4A)

5a Polk County (3A)

7b Sequatchie County (3A)

6a Red Bank (4A)

8b Smith County (3A)

7a Bledsoe County (3A)

5b McMinn Central (3A)

8a Cannon County (3A)

6b Tyner (3A)

9a Goodpasture (3A)

11b Camden (3A)

10a David Lipscomb (4A)

12b Spring Hill (4A)

11a Creek Wood (4A)

9b White House (4A)

12a Giles County (4A)

10b Maplewood (4A)

13a Milan (3A)

15b Kingsbury (4A)

14a Liberty Magnet (4A)

16b Fairley (4A)

15a Manassas (3A)

13b Crockett County (4A)

16a Sheffield (4A)

14b Jackson South Side (4A)

(The number to the left is the district, a/b is #1/#2)

There is no seeding, district 1a would always play district 3b….

With this set-up district teams wouldn’t meet again until the 3rd round.

District champs always host, otherwise alternate top/bottom of bracket.

Consider playing the quarter finals at neutral site based on quad,,,,(just a thought)

Please comment, critique, add advantages/disadvantages,,,

This would have been more fair for all involved, and in my opinion you get a better state championship game.

How about this, if they are wanting more money- why not take #3 and #4 teams from each district and have them play a play in game. This would allow for a stronger district to represent, i.e a Loudon who obviously is stronger than other district teams #1. It would be unfortunate for a district such as Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon not have a chance to show their district strength. Just like this year it sucks that Alcoa, Tyner, McMinn Central, Loudon, and Polk Co. are in the same quad - it seems that so many good teams are eliminated early. I am sure that these #3 and #4 teams would not mind to travel just for a chance, and reward #1 for winning district.

Tyner and McMinn Central did not deserve their first round games to be against that strong of opponents. I mean MC beat the crap out of Seq. Co. and Seq. gets first round bye, home field just for being in a weak district. That needs to be fixed!

Alas folks,you know what happens when gov. officials get together.This layout looks a whole lot better.I can't understand the crappy records getting in at all.And like CAK playing Alcoa two weeks gone by?Loudon-Bledsoe? Same records,weird.Trying to figure their reasoning you'd have to get your head up your butt as far as they have their's the same. :hungry:

OK, I have thought about it a little more.

Here is how I would do it.

#2 vs. #3 from respected districts. #1 from each district or region, whatever we call it gets first round bye. This would help with weaker districts. This would help TSSAA keep revenue, and not eliminate a strong #3 team who is probably better than the other districts #1 team. Winners of these #2 and #3 simply play #1 teams 2nd round.

I just thought this plan would be simple,,,no one would whine about "not understanding"...It needs to be simple. When you bring in strength of schedule you're just opening up a big can of worms. Ok you scheduled tough non-district opponents, but what if they all beat you. But maybe some of them beat you bad, others just barely....somebody else scheduled lesser non-district competition, but they mercy ruled all of them,,,What if you played a bunch of non-distirct teams with high winning percentages, but they had good records because they played "cupcakes"...it could go on and on and on....

Make it simple.....

Plus it gives TSSAA an opportunitty to show that it's not all about the money.

This is a good topic Charlie, I wish more were involved.

I don't mind a fourth team from a district makes it. I don't care if they are 2-8. However, they need to be seeded properly to make this work. Here is what I would do.

I would divide the state into two halves with 2 Regions and call it a Pod. The best way to show this is to use the teams we had this year.

REGION 1 - 1st Round

#1 Elizabeton vs. #4 Gibbs

#2 Gat. Pitt vs. #3 Happy Valley

#2 Sullivan North vs. #3 Fulton

#1 Austin East vs. #4 ????

REGION 2 - 1st Round

#1 Polk vs. #4 Kingston

#2 McMinn Central vs. #3 Loudon

#2 CAK vs. #3 Sweetwater

#1 Alcoa vs. #4 Meigs Co.

This will allow for a stronger district to prevail in round 1, and in reality give a 1 round gaurantee to #1 seeds

ROUND 2

Polk/Kingston winner VS. Sullivan North/Fulton winner

Alcoa/Meigs winner vs. Gat. Pitt/Happy Valley winner

Elizabethton/Gibbs winner VS. McMinn Cen/Loudon winner

Austin East/#4 winner VS. CAK/Sweetwater winner

This would eliminate district teams from meeting until Semifinals.

TSSAA gets their revenue, and we get a little more fair opportunity to have better teams avoiding each other early in the tournament.

This would have been more fair for all involved, and in my opinion you get a better state championship game.

How about this, if they are wanting more money- why not take #3 and #4 teams from each district and have them play a play in game. This would allow for a stronger district to represent, i.e a Loudon who obviously is stronger than other district teams #1. It would be unfortunate for a district such as Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon not have a chance to show their district strength. Just like this year it sucks that Alcoa, Tyner, McMinn Central, Loudon, and Polk Co. are in the same quad - it seems that so many good teams are eliminated early. I am sure that these #3 and #4 teams would not mind to travel just for a chance, and reward #1 for winning district.

Tyner and McMinn Central did not deserve their first round games to be against that strong of opponents. I mean MC beat the crap out of Seq. Co. and Seq. gets first round bye, home field just for being in a weak district. That needs to be fixed!

Yeah that's the first time one region has been stronger than another in its class, ever in Tennessee. Blow up the whole system. :roflol: With the first round playoff losses from your region the past few years I would have thought you could get that.

If you go to three classes next year, regular season and postseason, just add one more playoff week and take four teams from each district. Six weeks of playoffs sounds like a lot but it will six weeks for only six teams.

Looks good on paper, but every body syas the TSSAA aint for the kids. How does doing away with 3 state championship games do things for the kids. Why change in the middle of the road? Why not get it right and not have the misstakes that we had this year?

Even the great state of Georgia made misstakes this year or that is what I heard.

Yeah that's the first time one region has been stronger than another in its class, ever in Tennessee. Blow up the whole system. :popcorneater: With the first round playoff losses from your region the past few years I would have thought you could get that.

If you go to three classes next year, regular season and postseason, just add one more playoff week and take four teams from each district. Six weeks of playoffs sounds like a lot but it will six weeks for only six teams.

Indian, I was not refering to my district, I was refering to Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon. Either way you look at it - my solution would keep stronger districts from playing each other. If my district is the weaker one it is not fair I get an easier road. Do you not agree?