scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

Stacy Carter is in too good of a situation to leave unless SHHS can meet every demand he requests. Here is why it will not happen.1) He will only go if he can bring two or three assistants with him. In order for that to happen there have to be teaching positions open. If the rumors are true and he wants to bring the Nelson bros and maybe Haynie, he will be disappointed because SHHS doesn't have those openings in the classroom. 2). Money is not an object for him. 3). He is the King of Colonial Heights. He has done more as a football coach than any other South coach. He is an icon at South. 4). His best chance to win a State Championship is at South, not SHHS. Here is why, SHHS has never been a football school and South will more than likely move down to 4A the next time they reclassify. 4A is the best chance any team from NE TENN has at winning a State. 5). Not all JC Brass want him. Another Big 8 coach has a lot of support with fewer demands. And lastly 6) I don't think he really wants it. The top job in NE TENN is not SHHS. Regardless of what many may think, it is DB. That is the job he wants. Every head coach in the Big 8 would take that job if it were offered to them.

I hope he doesn't go because I don't think they deserve him. They have been terrible at not supporting their head coaches and I would hate to see what they would do to him after they didnt win 10 plus games a year.

These just my random thoughts concern the topic.

What does SHHS have that he or any other coach would want? The biggest draws right now are a little bit of a pay raise, a new stadium next year and a new weightlifting room for off season the year after next. Press will have more coverage of his team vs. what he was having at South, and he would be playing bigger teams in the playoffs or if he scheduled tougher opponents. A much larger talent pool is also available to whoever comes (which could be good or bad). Aside from that, you mentioned a lot of the negatives of this job and I'm sure whoever is going for it is keeping it in mind. SH is a make it big or go home job, and they have not found someone who has been able to do that. SH football fans apparently need 8 win seasons every year. The first year, whoever has it, needs to bring in at least 6 wins, and the year after and the next year will have to have huge seasons. It is the hurdle thats kept people out of that job.

As far as the DB job goes, I'd like to see how they would take that if they were looking for someone. I seriously doubt that DB would look at any of the coaches around here, not because they aren't able, but because I think the DB football fans expect some big name from elsewhere.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a scale of 1-10, how is Gerald Sensabaugh's career going these days?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/p ... yerId=8571

Looks like he is playing every week and has some tackles here or there. Not bad not great. As long as he can stay away from bringing guns around with him when he comes back to Kingsport I guess he is doing ok.

I don't really keep up with everything going on in upper east tn but do have comment on search. They obviously don't want to interview all the best candidates. Personally know of coach now in Florida that is from upper ET and would like to get back to the area that has 4 state championship rings (3 as assistant and 1 as a head coach). He applied, called and left message for AD, sent resume and hasn't even gotten so much as an email back...nothing! Not saying they have to hire him but man, to not even interview him. He is young, energetic, gets kids out of hallways. Good coach with lots of passion. Been at current school 1 yr and took them from 2-8 the yr before he got there to 7-4, leading the league in total defense. School he was at before that in Georgia was 1-9 before he arrived and in 3rd year won state championship. I'm sure candidates are good and deserving of interviews too but I can't believe their resumes and track records are as impressive as his.

On a scale of 1-10, how is Gerald Sensabaugh's career going these days?

The cold weather is really putting a hurt on you. :flower:

The guy is starting for the Dallas Cowboys. Get a grip on yourself.

Im just trying to figure out what this has to do with the Science Hill job. Unless your saying that Gerald has interviewed for the job. A big pay cut for sure. :thumb:

I don't really keep up with everything going on in upper east tn but do have comment on search. They obviously don't want to interview all the best candidates. Personally know of coach now in Florida that is from upper ET and would like to get back to the area that has 4 state championship rings (3 as assistant and 1 as a head coach). He applied, called and left message for AD, sent resume and hasn't even gotten so much as an email back...nothing! Not saying they have to hire him but man, to not even interview him. He is young, energetic, gets kids out of hallways. Good coach with lots of passion. Been at current school 1 yr and took them from 2-8 the yr before he got there to 7-4, leading the league in total defense. School he was at before that in Georgia was 1-9 before he arrived and in 3rd year won state championship. I'm sure candidates are good and deserving of interviews too but I can't believe their resumes and track records are as impressive as his.

They had a coach hired before Smith even anounced he was leaving. This is all just a circus created be the media and the people posting on CoachT. :flower:

Stacy Carter is in too good of a situation to leave unless SHHS can meet every demand he requests. Here is why it will not happen.1) He will only go if he can bring two or three assistants with him. In order for that to happen there have to be teaching positions open. If the rumors are true and he wants to bring the Nelson bros and maybe Haynie, he will be disappointed because SHHS doesn't have those openings in the classroom. 2). Money is not an object for him. 3). He is the King of Colonial Heights. He has done more as a football coach than any other South coach. He is an icon at South. 4). His best chance to win a State Championship is at South, not SHHS. Here is why, SHHS has never been a football school and South will more than likely move down to 4A the next time they reclassify. 4A is the best chance any team from NE TENN has at winning a State. 5). Not all JC Brass want him. Another Big 8 coach has a lot of support with fewer demands. And lastly 6) I don't think he really wants it. The top job in NE TENN is not SHHS. Regardless of what many may think, it is DB. That is the job he wants. Every head coach in the Big 8 would take that job if it were offered to them.

I hope he doesn't go because I don't think they deserve him. They have been terrible at not supporting their head coaches and I would hate to see what they would do to him after they didnt win 10 plus games a year.

DB won't make a fool of themselves when it comes time to finding a new coach. Then again, the current AD is questionable. With Gerald Sensabaugh being on one year contracts I would say his career could posibly end about the same time GC's does. DB likes to hire from within and I would venture to say that GS would be an attractive thought. It's a long shot but if I were an Indian I would consider it a possibility.

They had a coach hired before Smith even anounced he was leaving. This is all just a circus created be the media and the people posting on CoachT. :flower:

And who are you...Barnum or Bailey?

DB won't make a fool of themselves when it comes time to finding a new coach. Then again, the current AD is questionable. With Gerald Sensabaugh being on one year contracts I would say his career could posibly end about the same time GC's does. DB likes to hire from within and I would venture to say that GS would be an attractive thought. It's a long shot but if I were an Indian I would consider it a possibility.

I know we are playing pretend here, and on one hand I can see your point, but on the other hand a football player does not make a football coach. From what Waco said and what I saw on ESPN, he is still starting and playing every week, some injuries here and there, but some questionable press that has happened around here and in other areas might keep him out anytime in the future (again, just saying if it did happen soon, since we are playing pretend) but after an NFL career, maybe, but I doubt they could pay him enough.

DB would look to someone on their resume who had a state championship as a head coach under their belt, nothing less than that.

So now you've taken us from "who will be the next Science Hill coach" to this bizarre post. You were doing better when you were building Stacy Carter into some kind of football god. :ph34r:

I know we are playing pretend here, and on one hand I can see your point, but on the other hand a football player does not make a football coach. From what Waco said and what I saw on ESPN, he is still starting and playing every week, some injuries here and there, but some questionable press that has happened around here and in other areas might keep him out anytime in the future (again, just saying if it did happen soon, since we are playing pretend) but after an NFL career, maybe, but I doubt they could pay him enough.

DB would look to someone on their resume who had a state championship as a head coach under their belt, nothing less than that.

DB would look in their own stable first. Then to prospective alumni. Teddy Gains for example.

DB would look in their own stable first. Then to prospective alumni. Teddy Gains for example.

But both of those players for instance, if they did want to get into coaching, would have a leg up on everyone because they could use contacts at the professional and college level to get into coaching. They wouldn't need to go down to the HS level if they had to.