Perry County Vikings

pcviking23

First of all...somebody isn't reporting scores because the last 2 games aren't on the scoreboard.

Okay. Now that is out of the way.

I haven't seen them play, but I have to believe that they offset their size with speed. This will probably get them through the district with no more than a couple of losses...maybe none. And it possibly will get them to the State. I don't know how the other 1A powers in the state stack up, but a well-disciplined team with good guard play and a big man that can handle the ball will offset a lot of speed advantages.

I hope they can put together another run at the State. In PC, if you don't make it to the State, you didn't have a good year. It's funny to go to other gyms and they have banners all over the place for everything, but PC only has banners for making it to the finals (unless they have changed). I remember being upset when they put up the "runner-up" banner for the '96 team. In my opinion, PC should only raise banners for State Championships. I also think they should stop retiring numbers for All-State Tournament honorees. They could retire their jersey, but keep the number active. Only First Team All-State honorees should have their number retired. Just my humble opinion.

surely they have a district thread already started...no reason to start their own thread.

Perry County/Linden has won 6 state championships (should have been arguably 7 or 8)...3 of which were won BEFORE THERE WERE CLASSIFICATIONS. They produced a Parade All-American shooting guard who averaged almost 42 points per game 15 years before the introduction of the 3-point line (only 15 players in the entire country get named "All-American"), and a player that went on to become the Big Ten Player of the Year as a Junior at Indiana, as well as a first round NBA draft pick.

And this only scratches the surface of the accomplishments of Perry County basketball. All this from the 6th least populated county in Tennessee. A place that couldn't recruit from surrounding counties school districts if it wanted to.

I'm pretty sure Perry County has earned the right to have their own thread.

This is comparable to someone complaining about Alcoa having their own tread in football the football forum or Shelbyville girls having their own thread in the girls basketball forum.

The PC vikings are off to a good start with 5-1 and their only loss coming from Creekwood High School, the boys have won 4 of the 5 games big and with a ranking of #2 in 1A. What do you say about them?? Are they the real deal?

Are you saying the rankings are out and Perry Co is the number 2 team in the State?Some teams just played their first district games last night..And some have only played 3 games thus far..so am surprised that any rankings are out !

surely they have a district thread already started...no reason to start their own thread.

Perry County/Linden has won 6 state championships (should have been arguably 7 or 8)...3 of which were won BEFORE THERE WERE CLASSIFICATIONS. They produced a Parade All-American shooting guard who averaged almost 42 points per game 15 years before the introduction of the 3-point line (only 15 players in the entire country get named "All-American"), and a player that went on to become the Big Ten Player of the Year as a Junior at Indiana, as well as a first round NBA draft pick.

And this only scratches the surface of the accomplishments of Perry County basketball. All this from the 6th least populated county in Tennessee. A place that couldn't recruit from surrounding counties school districts if it wanted to.

I'm pretty sure Perry County has earned the right to have their own thread.

This is comparable to someone complaining about Alcoa having their own tread in football the football forum or Shelbyville girls having their own thread in the girls basketball forum.

cool. i'm glad they had so much success before the inventions of computers...probably telephones....you're probably a notre dame fan that still brags about all the national championships won 300 years ago...

last time i checked alcoa has had a LOT of success in recent history...something like 6 of the last state championships? yea thats worthy of their own thread. even teams that won the state championship last year i can see them having them, or even a final 4 last year. i'm just saying...you get more feedback from using your districts thread, and it keeps people from having to search 100 different threads to find out about a certain team. instead of having to find each teams individual thread where maybe you talked about other teams in there to.

cool. i'm glad they had so much success before the inventions of computers...probably telephones....you're probably a notre dame fan that still brags about all the national championships won 300 years ago...

last time i checked alcoa has had a LOT of success in recent history...something like 6 of the last state championships? yea thats worthy of their own thread. even teams that won the state championship last year i can see them having them, or even a final 4 last year. i'm just saying...you get more feedback from using your districts thread, and it keeps people from having to search 100 different threads to find out about a certain team. instead of having to find each teams individual thread where maybe you talked about other teams in there to.

Smooth....

Not a Notre Dame fan at all, and Alcoa recruits like there's no tomorrow. Heck, they don't even deny it anymore. The 3 point line came into existence in the late 80's. I know this is probably a long time ago to someone in their late teens like you, but really...it's not.

The point is that Perry County has a lot of tradition and expectations to succeed. The other teams in Perry County's district have never won a State Championship in boys basketball and I sincerely doubt they have ever produced a D-1 player (PC has at least 4) and especially haven't produced a pro (PC has 2).

You think they don't deserve to have their own thread? I think you are wrong. The 6 gold balls think you are wrong. The Big Ten Player of the Year thinks you are wrong. The Parade All-American thinks you are wrong. The one-time all time leading scorer for Vanderbilt (even though he was used sparingly his senior year due to a coaching issue) thinks you are wrong. The mid-50's teams with a school enrollment of about 150 that won 3 consecutive State Championships against urban schools with enrollments approaching 2000 think you are wrong.

If someone is inconvenienced by a Perry County basketball thread, then that's their problem. Anybody who truly knows anything about high school basketball in Tennessee doesn't have an issue with it, I assure you.

Jealous haters, on the other hand.....