Enjoy your new friends

panfan

Posted by panfan:

I have a question for all you crying split support folks: What do you think is going to happen to 1A if all the private schools are taken out?

Here are the schools that would be 1A, under current enrollments, without private schools and in a 4-class system.

364 Rockwood High School

369 Mitchell High School

384 Tyner Academy

384 Dresden High School

386 Manassas High School

386 Alcoa High School

387 Adamsville High School

390 Trousdale Co. High School

394 Houston Co. High School

396 Huntingdon High School

398 Harriman High School

403 East Robertson High School

415 Wartburg Central High School

423 Westmoreland High School

425 Richland High School

428 Peabody High School

429 Bledsoe Co. High School

429 Hampton High School

430 Westside High School

433 McKenzie High School

438 Jackson Co. High School

442 Union City High School

449 Polk Co. High School

Tyner's number is wrong, I am almost positive they are going to Class AA in basketball next year so they'd be 2A in football. The school has grown a lot. I can't speak for Alcoa but I would guess they would move up to 2A since the 1A ball in their area wouldn'tbe too challenging usually, if there's that many 1A teams around Knoxville at all. Do you think the teams that are left, as a whole, are tougher than CPA, Boyd-Buchanan, Ezell-Harding, USJ, and the rest, including Goodpasture which is a 2A beat currently despite being one of the smallest schools in the class? Trousdale and some others have been and will continue to be good programs regardless of class--and have you ever really heard anyone say South Pittsburg and the like should have to move up to 2A or higher because of their success? There's the difference.

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/schoolstable.htm

[Edited by panfan on 9-21-02 1:30A]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to have to re make your point. I missed it. Not saying it wasn't valid or good. I just couldn't find it.

Still in your post you show many schools with large populations that would likely move down to A. that is a huge difference between them and the smallest current A team. How is that fair playing field? That is my question.

I don't understand your South Pit thing and the point you were trying to make. Please restate, so we can discuss.

Posted by panfan:

You're going to have to re make your point. I missed it. Not saying it wasn't valid or good. I just couldn't find it.

Still in your post you show many schools with large populations that would likely move down to A. that is a huge difference between them and the smallest current A team. How is that fair playing field? That is my question.

I don't understand your South Pit thing and the point you were trying to make. Please restate, so we can discuss.

The point is, regardless of how many teams they've beaten the hound out of, I've never heard or read anyone say Trousdale, South Pittsburg, Bruceton, and the rest should have to move up. Opposite for the 1A privates, Goodpasture and Lipscomb.The difference of size of the smallest 1A and largest 1A schools would not be that much, with 4 classes I would think the sizes would be closer than it was with 3 even without the 20 or so private schools in 1A. The only problem a four-division system could force would be possible 8-team regions across the board which could kill rivalry games.

The reason that no one talks about the publics being forced to move up if they win is b/c they are hypocrits. That is why you never hear anyone say successful public schools should move up. there is no logic to the idea that if teams win they should move up. People just assume that private schools cheat and that publics don't. Those people are ignorant.

As far as 4A, the difference would be a lot bigger than 5A which is what we have now. Obviously, it would be a smaller difference than the 3A system of around 10 years ago.

Posted by panfan:

The reason that no one talks about the publics being forced to move up if they win is b/c they are hypocrits. That is why you never hear anyone say successful public schools should move up. there is no logic to the idea that if teams win they should move up. People just assume that private schools cheat and that publics don't. Those people are ignorant.

As far as 4A, the difference would be a lot bigger than 5A which is what we have now. Obviously, it would be a smaller difference than the 3A system of around 10 years ago.

There's no logic that winning teams should move up I agree. CPA or Boyd-Buchanan moving up to 5A to play Riverdale would probably be a slaughter more years than not. But moving them up to 2A or 3A with a multiplier and you'd just change the complaining from 1A to 2A and 3A. People are for a total split, not just moving out the 8-10 top 1A programs plus Lipscomb and Goodpasture (along with the likes of Temple and Chattanooga Christian in other sports). The main schools are the most recognizable of course, so they get mentioned when there's split talk. As far as five classes or four, five might still be the way to go to prevent eight team regions (or larger). I don't think that's good as it would limit traditional rival games (Whitwell, Bledsoe County and South Pittsburg would all be 1A so Sequatchie County would have a hard time scheduling all 3 of them since Whitwell and South Pitt's primary opponent would be Marion, and so on).

Indian...Thanks for saying that moving teams up because of success makes no sense. BTW...I have said on here before that if you move private schools up because they are doiung better, then you should move up public schools as well. See my thread on the merit system.

Now if you want a split, then on what grounds can you give evidence that would support that a split was necessary? I`ve asked this question a lot, but no one wants to touch it. Maybe you can elaborate on the subject a little bit.

Thanks VG

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Indian...Thanks for saying that moving teams up because of success makes no sense. BTW...I have said on here before that if you move private schools up because they are doiung better, then you should move up public schools as well. See my thread on the merit system.

Now if you want a split, then on what grounds can you give evidence that would support that a split was necessary? I`ve asked this question a lot, but no one wants to touch it. Maybe you can elaborate on the subject a little bit.

I could go on and on about winning percentages, number of private schools in the class as compared to titles and so on, but the state titles and high postseason finishes should speak for themselves. look at the Class A baseball final 4. There seems to be an overal competition problem not just in football, but for every sports. There will be exceptions such as South Pittsburg football and Forrest softball, but more often than not the private school teams will come out on top in every sport in 1A. Why? that's a different subject but the topic isn't why they dominate, but why they should be out.

Thanks VG

Posted by Indian:
Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

I could go on and on about winning percentages, number of private schools in the class as compared to titles and so on, but the state titles and high postseason finishes should speak for themselves. look at the Class A baseball final 4. There seems to be an overal competition problem not just in football, but for every sports. There will be exceptions such as South Pittsburg football and Forrest softball, but more often than not the private school teams will come out on top in every sport in 1A. Why? that's a different subject but the topic isn't why they dominate, but why they should be out.

Thanks VG

Indian....there was a time when public schools won a higher percentage of championships. Should public schools have had a mulitiplier added on to them then?

Should public schools have had a mulitiplier added on to them then?

No. Those were also the days when some of the curent strong private school programs could barely field teams, or didn't even exist yet. Is it so hard to comprehend a competition problem exists that goes beyond coaching and hard work? When a student body is made up of nearly all high achievers, compared to one with all sorts of students, when one student body likely has nearly total support from parents and the other has parents that don't attend a game in four years, which one has the advantage? This isn't to say all or even most of public school students are lazy, or dumb, but a lot of them aren't high achievers and aren't too bright. And certainly a lot of them have no parent support at all. Compare that to parents who shell out $5,000-$10,000 or more a year, some working two jobs to support it. One group is made up of what you would call "winners" and the other has just a percentage of "winners." Public school coaches build their teams from whatever comes through the door, with this student flunking, distracted because his family is a bunch of meth addicts, that student not caring about anything including books and athletics and the next one out for the rest of her career because she's pregnant. Is the playing field equal?