Marshall County Tigerettes

seriously

What's going on in Marshall County? Heard that Coach West resigned on Wednesday. I know they have already lost a couple of district games this year and the talent is down a bit from years past. Obviously losing Lauren March didn't help, but is the future of the program that bleak? Maybe someone can fill me in. Thanks.

I'm sure that Coach West has given a valid reason for his departure regarding his other job outside of basketball. However, unless he is taking on more responsibilty or a heavier work load, why has he resigned all of a sudden right here before the meat of the season even begins? Did something that major come up that just couldn't be dealt with while continuing to coach since he has obviously been able to do it for several years now? Its not like this is the first year he has had two gigs going on at the same time. The timing to me just seems kind of odd. I have no doubt that juggling two jobs can be a difficult one especially when you are in charge of a basketball program that has been so successful in the past and the expectations from the community are so high. Nonetheless, I bet if the team were 10-0 right now there would be a good chance he would still be at the helm and just might figure out a way to handle both jobs. The Tigerettes have now come back to the pack as a mortal team and surely Coach West knew that was coming. Losing Lauren March and other talented girls would put a dent into anyones program. The Tigerettes will still be a very competitive team this year as is evident by them beating a good Columbia Central team just a few weeks ago. Winning AND losing is just a natural part of athletics and no doubt Marshall County will have some of both. Sometimes, when you have won more than you have lost you get a little spoiled and expectations become a little unrealistic. Unlike college athletics where you can recruit, in high school you more or less have to play with the hand of kids who have been dealt to you. (although I am not naive enough to think that recruiting does not go on at the high school level either) I sure wish Boyd would reconsider returning to the team because I think he is a good coach ..... but, it may be too late anyway. A good new coach is in place and the team I suppose is moving on. I just wished Coach West would not have taken his ball and done the same.

A good coach can lose good players then rebuild his team. It may take years to do but it is possible. No doubt losing good players hurts but you have to start over with what you got and work your way back up. I see other programs playing freshman and sophomores along with there senior starters. Why is this? Building a program for the future.