Time for a change: TSSAA

I'm thinking they didn't like the 6-class playoff system a whole lot either, but wanted a smaller than 5 regular season system due to the travel. Grundy County traveling all the way to Englewood and Madisonville for region games is one example of many. Going down to three in the regular season meant either a wide population range of schools facing each other in the playoffs, or the six-class mess we got.

In a 4-class group, I could have seen the state title matchups as Trousdale vs Union City, Alcoa vs Milan, Giles vs Greeneville, and Maryville vs White Station. Basically the same as what we had, but it also would be possible to have all 4 on one day with the first starting at 11 am.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do understand that, its just a shame that it has to be that way. The TSSAA does have some serious issues...one being that its funding comes from its membership schools fees, and from gates of various sports play-offs, correct?

With that being the case, it is definitely in a catch 22. Tick off the members and lose part of their funding. Make a football state championship more illusive and more difficult to attain by decreasing classifications and possibly lose some gate money.

I guess in my mind, its the difference between a chevy and a mercedes. Sell a lot and make a little on each sale, or sell few but make a lot by offering a higher quality product. Mercedes doesnt seem to be struggling in a bad economy for their choices. If the games were between more select teams, perhaps other fans besides a few die hards and player and band parents would show up to the games. Fewer games, but bigger crowds? I dont know. I remember there used to be huge crowds at playoff games, especially championship games. The doesnt seem to be the case any more.

Wasn't the Morristown High Schools placed in 6A for the playoffs and then appealed and "poof" they were allowed to drop to 5A?

It was actually just East. And the story was a bit more involved. In the original list, splitting AAA down the middle left them in 5A. But when the two AA schools in Clarksville (Northeast and West Creek) elected up to AAA, that moved the cut line down one step, and the Hurricanes happened to be the team on that step. (It also affected one other school that was pushed up from 3A to 4A by the loss of schools off the top.) The rule was then changed (or clarified--it wasn't well drafted in the first place) that the cut between the two sub-classes would not change due to schools opting up.

• 2 weeks later...