Grace vs. Arts Round One

ChattanoogaStone

This Friday at Grace is the first of probably four matchups between these two rivals. Arts has had some recent post-season success against Grace lately, but the last Region Tournament matchup went Grace's way.

Arts has quality wins against Clay Co., Pickett Co. and McCallie. Grace has beaten Ridgeland and Bradley Central and lost to Baylor by 3 (but were up 12 at half). Both teams lost to Tyner.

What does everyone think? This season has some extra intrigue because Grace and Arts are in the same District now.

This should be an interesting game to see how these two teams match up and a preview of the tournament. Grace - on paper - seems to have the more impresive lineup with their expierenced and explosive guard play of Herman and Church however it looks like CSAS has played a more difficult schedule to this point. Grace should be favored since they have the expierence and are playing at home.

Grace is at home so that has to be an advantage for them. Grace also has key seniors that the Patriots don't have. It is Grace's game to lose....all the pressure is on their end. CSAS has won some pretty big games against some tough opponents and hopefully that will pay off tomorrow night and the rest of the year.

Very exciting game. Grace came out with an early 11-2 lead, but found themselves down by four fairly quickly. Game went back and forth until early 3rd quarter and Arts began to establish a five-seven point lead. Arts had an offensive answer every time Grace would score. They hit three big time 3's in the fourth to stop a Grace rally. It's not that Grace played poorly...it seemed like Arts played very inspired defense and they run offensive sets until they get a basket. Grace would settle for bad shots too often.

Both teams had a hard time scoring in the first half (25-24 at halftime), but Arts got MANY easy layups in the second half. Stallion is the real deal. Grace has a lot of athletes and none of them could stop Alex.

These teams should play at least 3 more times this year. Both teams are capable of winning a sub-state game on the road so I wouldn't be shocked, barring a Region Semi-Final upset, to see both teams in the State Tournament. Arts gets one of their big men back soon from injury which will help them out come tournament time.

Wanted to say that I appreciate the classiness of Coach Dragoo and Coach Mattheiss. They've been doing this a while and have been friends even longer. It's fun to watch them compete against each other in highly competitive games and handle the adversity well.