Weight Mgt Question

HSDAD

Say there is a wrestler who has wrestled ??? (let's say 152) all year long.

He is thinking about dropping to 145, but preseason weight mgt testing

states his lowest possible weight is 145.3. Can he drop to and wrestle 147

for the remainder of the season? (Assuming that he does not exceed the 1.5%

rule) If so, must he wrestle that weight at a dual or can he start @ a later

time?

No, he would have to stay at 152 bc in order to wrestle 145 or 147 after Christmas you must certify at that weight and not the weight you get after christmas.

I am not so sure. I seem to remember something from the weight management meetings that concerned a change to how minimum weight was used. Please check to be sure, but I think that if you are able to be a 145 pound wrestler at 146.9, then after Christmas, you are an eligible 145 pound wrestler. Again, please have your coach check with TSSAA but I think the rule changed to allow this.

No, he would have to stay at 152 bc in order to wrestle 145 or 147 after Christmas you must certify at that weight and not the weight you get after christmas.

I am not so sure. I seem to remember something from the weight management meetings that concerned a change to how minimum weight was used. Please check to be sure, but I think that if you are able to be a 145 pound wrestler at 146.9, then after Christmas, you are an eligible 145 pound wrestler. Again, please have your coach check with TSSAA but I think the rule changed to allow this.

If you dont qualify for 145 before christmas then you cannot qualify for 145 after christmas. If test said you can go 145.3 then even with two pound growth allowance you are still 152.

time?

From my understanding. A wrestler can certify at a lower weight and be within 2% of that lower and cerify to wrestle at the lower weight as long as he or she passes the hydration and body fat test.

Example:

A 125 pounder needs to certify at 119. He can weigh 121 and certify at 119lb weight class. Because 2% of 121 is 2.42lb. 121lb less the 2 percent (118.58) qualifies that wrestler to certify and wrestle at 119lb assuming he/she passes the hydration and body fat test.

Information from the TSSAA Site that may better help explain the weight management program and it can be located at: http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/wrestling.pdf

The lowest weight class in which a wrestler may compete will be determined as follows:

1. If the predicted weight, at 7% body fat for males and 12% for females, is exactly that of

one of the weight classes that shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class.

2. If the predicted weight, at 7% body fat for males and 12% for females, falls between two

weight classes, they must wrestle at the higher weight class.

3. The wrestler may wrestle at the weight class in which their 7% male/12% female body fat

predicted weight, less 2% of that weight, places them.

time?

From my understanding. A wrestler can certify at a lower weight and be within 2% of that lower and cerify to wrestle at the lower weight as long as he or she passes the hydration and body fat test.

Example:

A 125 pounder needs to certify at 119. He can weigh 121 and certify at 119lb weight class. Because 2% of 121 is 2.42lb. 121lb less the 2 percent (118.58) qualifies that wrestler to certify and wrestle at 119lb assuming he/she passes the hydration and body fat test.

Information from the TSSAA Site that may better help explain the weight management program and it can be located at: http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/wrestling.pdf

The lowest weight class in which a wrestler may compete will be determined as follows:

1. If the predicted weight, at 7% body fat for males and 12% for females, is exactly that of

one of the weight classes that shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class.

2. If the predicted weight, at 7% body fat for males and 12% for females, falls between two

weight classes, they must wrestle at the higher weight class.

3. The wrestler may wrestle at the weight class in which their 7% male/12% female body fat

predicted weight, less 2% of that weight, places them.

he can weigh 121, but he still certified at 119.

What the question was, if the wrestler certifies at 145.6, can he wrestle 145 (after the 2 lb allowance), and the answer to that is no. He must certify at 145, to wrestle 145. The 2% is included in the lowest weight (certified weight) the wrestler can get to.

If Wrestler A does his weight assessment weighing 128.9 and it calculates it out to a MWC of 125.2, then the minimum weight class he can go is 130 all year. The 2% that people are referring to is when a wrestler’s body fat is less than 7%. A couple years ago if a person's body fat was under 7%, he was not allowed to drop any weight. That has been changed since, now stating that no matter the body weight, a person can drop that 2% no matter what. Either way, whatever weight the computer spits out as a minimum weight once it accounts for all the variables, that is your qualifying weight class.