Food report from Franklin

Da Bears

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Venue: Good burgers, hot dogs and BBQ sandwiches. The big hit was the glazed pecans.

(closed to early on Saturday night)

In Franklin: Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant

Mickey Roos

Mellow Mushroom

Red Pony (friends ate there/high end)

Da Bears:

The places you have listed are all good but up in Franklin. There are some good eats as well up at the Franklin exit, the Cool Spings exit and the Brentwood exit all on I-65. The problem is that they are a good drive up the road from the venue. Great for dinner or, if you have along break, lunch. But if you only have maybe 45 minutes between matches you want to see, you might be pushed to get there and back if you do not want to eat at the concession stand.

Only because you must be friend of rival poster Bayou Bear , I'm going to let you in on a place I was tipped off about by FRA Coach Marc Taylor that is only minutes from the venue. Its called the Hen Peck Market. Come out of the ag center, turn right, go back over the interstate, go to the first light (Lewisburg Pike), turn right, and it is about a mile up the road on your left, right behind a BP station. it takes about ten minutes, max, to get there from the ag center.

Several of us went there for lunch on Saturday. They have really good burgers and fresh cooked fires, many varieties of deli type sandwiches---they have a deli bar----and things like cold fried chicken, chicken salad, tuna salad, pasta salad, etc,---------- even a fried bologna sandwich on artisan bread. It looks like they have a catering operation. During the weekdays, but not on Saturday, they also have a "meat and three" hot bar. Food is excellent. A lot of locals there eating. I had an excellent large burger and fries, one guy had the regular size burger and fries, and the biggest one of us, who is always testing out his feminine side, had some sort of turkey, bacon and avocado on artisan bread sandwich that he described as " marvelous".

I highly recommend you try this place during the day on Friday or Saturday. Don't know how late it stays open, so dinner may not be an option. But they do make the sandwiches to go, so you could send somebody out for a sandwich run and bring the food back to you. Give it a try, but don't tell the world about it. There are only about 8-10 tables in the back of the market and we want to be able to get a seat.

BTW---the brisket at Judge Beans up at the Brentwood exit on Friday was good and the meat was falling off the ribs.

Hello all who are coming to the State wrestling @ the AgPark in Franklin. Thanks for the great write up about Henpeck Market (http://www.henpeckmarket.com) We are a neighborhood market just "around the corner" from the AgPark. Our hours of operation 5:30 am - 6:00 pm Mon - Sat, (our grill closes @ 5:00, so you must order before that) GREAT BREAKFAST, BURGERS, FRESH HOMEMADE SALADS, AND UNBELIEVABLE DESSERTS!, PLUS SEVERAL FEATURED SANDWICHES WHICH ARE LOCAL FAVORITES. ALSO, great shopping upstairs in "The Loft". We actually can seat around 50 - 60 people inside and have all of our food ToGo, you can call ahead 615-794-7518 FOR TO GO ORDERS. We look forward to you being here!

You guys found some gems in your limited time in our county. Since you'll have a little more time between sessions at the individuals, let me make a few more suggestions that you might enjoy:

1. The Cajun Steamer(in Cools Springs on the East Side of the Interstate, take the Cool Springs BLVD exit.and than take a left on Carothers Pkwy. It will be on your left shortly) - Great Cajun seafood place with fresh Gumbo, Po Boys, oysters on the half shell, lots of cold ice tea or beer, and lots of really attractive looking waitresses.

2. If you want a really good steak with a more of a local flair, try Sperry's in Cool Springs. There is also an Outback.

3. Good Mexican at the Mexicali Grill off of Carothers and also at Cozymel's on Moore's Lane.

As for bars, I'm sure BCB has those scoped out..... :lol: