Upperman/Sequatchie Co.

plateauvol

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that was the reasoning, and there was a good visiting crowd. It looked to be about as much as the hosts had, surprisingly.

It was a disappointing loss for Sequatchie, 58-53 in overtime. Sequatchie led in double figures in the third quarter but things went downhill about halfway through it. Upperman cut it to 35-31 after 3, tied it with a 3 at 37-37 in the fourth. Things went back and forth after that, neither team did well at the foul line late (or in overtime) which could have affected the outcome. 44-44 after 4 quarters.

Sequatchie opened the overtime badly missing a lay-up and turning the ball over quickly, helping Upperman get it to 48-44 right away. Upperman pushed it to 52-47 with 45 seconds left, after a made shot by Cartwright and a free throw for each team it was 53-50 with 15 seconds left. Sequatchie had the ball with three 3-point shooters on the floor but turned the ball over, Upperman made 2 more FT, 55-50 before a long 3 by Kilgore again cut it close, 55-53 with 3 seconds to go. Upperman added three more FT very late for the final margin.

For Sequatchie Kilgore (sr) played through what looked like cramps, late, and scored 18 with five 3s. Cartwright (so) had 14 points, Derek Smith (sr) 13 with 8 rebounds.

In my opinion allowing both games to be played on the same night allows the boys team that wins (in this case Upperman) an unfair advantage. They now have an extra day of rest, extra day to practice, and the opportunity to go scout tonight's game in preparation for their game in the semis. I completely understand travel, expenses, and fan support, but these should not outweigh giving an advantage to one team that can easily be avoided. If I were fans/coaches of the winner of tonight's game to face Upperman I would be upset.

Probably right. Upperman was 3-10 in the fourth quarter including two with six seconds to go (but that was after a terrible foul call so he needed to miss :roflol: ) They did get it together in overtime as Sequatchie didn't do the best job of fouling guys who had either missed or who'd not proven yet they could make them. UM was 8-14 in overtime, Sequatchie 4-9. Sequatchie was 4-6 in quarters 1-4, UM 5-16. Another stat, Sequatchie had 23 turnovers counting overtime (just 4 by the starting point who handled the ball the majority of the time), UM 15.

Probably right. Upperman was 3-10 in the fourth quarter including two with six seconds to go (but that was after a terrible foul call so he needed to miss :roflol: ) They did get it together in overtime as Sequatchie didn't do the best job of fouling guys who had either missed or who'd not proven yet they could make them. UM was 8-14 in overtime, Sequatchie 4-9. Sequatchie was 4-6 in quarters 1-4, UM 5-16. Another stat, Sequatchie had 23 turnovers counting overtime (just 4 by the starting point who handled the ball the majority of the time), UM 15.

man, those FTs were a killer. SC came ready to play, and played a great game. Looked like you had a great bunch of kids. Good luck to them next year.

The two possible opponents also had the opportunity to come watch this game.

I understand and while this makes it more understandable it still does not answer the issue of one team having an extra day of practice and rest in preparation for a game that sends you to the substate. It also opens this up as an option everytime this situation arises which is not that unrealistic considering the number of region quarterfinals games played in all classifications in both boys and girls throughout the state. What if the next time this happens the two possible opponents have to decide between scouting or watching their girls teams play? A coach shouldn't have to be put in this situation in my opinion and Notre Dame/York (I haven't checked on who won this morning) have still been put at a disadvantage for this Tuesday's game.