District 12 Weihtlifting Competition

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually there even though Fairview chose to skip the event. I very much question the fairness of the competition. They were measured on Power cleans and Bench. Now Bench there is really no way to miss judge the lift. The PC's is a little bit different. I always thought that this lift whether do a hang clean or true power clean that the arms had to be straight. Well I saw a lot of the players starting with the weight in the bend of the hip at their waste. Then muscling it up to a PC finish. This is not fair if the other teams are doing true cleans. Giles was the worst at doing this from what I saw. Again maybe I misunderstood the rules but they were not doing proper cleans. I also heard that Spring Hill is going to do a lifting meet later in the spring that will add squats and cleans(where the arms must start straight). I think this will be more of a true look at who the stronger athletes in the district are. Which team made the biggest gains from last year?

I was actually there even though Fairview chose to skip the event. I very much question the fairness of the competition. They were measured on Power cleans and Bench. Now Bench there is really no way to miss judge the lift. The PC's is a little bit different. I always thought that this lift whether do a hang clean or true power clean that the arms had to be straight. Well I saw a lot of the players starting with the weight in the bend of the hip at their waste. Then muscling it up to a PC finish. This is not fair if the other teams are doing true cleans. Giles was the worst at doing this from what I saw. Again maybe I misunderstood the rules but they were not doing proper cleans. I also heard that Spring Hill is going to do a lifting meet later in the spring that will add squats and cleans(where the arms must start straight). I think this will be more of a true look at who the stronger athletes in the district are. Which team made the biggest gains from last year?

You mis-understood the rules and power cleans.The true look of who the stronger players are won't come until they get on the field this fall.(arms straight or bent)

You mis-understood the rules and power cleans.The true look of who the stronger players are won't come until they get on the field this fall.(arms straight or bent)

I think you misunderstood. The stronger player is not always the best player. And talking about strength I was referring to the weightroom obviously. But if you are going to do a WEIGHTLIFTING competition then at least do the lifts correctly. Otherwise why bother having the competition.

Frankie. You busted Giles. You see we had 8 playing baseball so we recruited 3 from the golf team, 2 from the tennis team, and 3 from the trap shooting crew. So some of the guys didn't know proper techniques. Now the old bluebird they travel in has a exhaust leak so the fumes had the boys a little woozy too. Even with all these factors weighing in the real problem was the word "proper". You see the word "proper" and Giles cannot be used in a sentence together. We are about as un-proper as you can get! :thumb:

Frankie. You busted Giles. You see we had 8 playing baseball so we recruited 3 from the golf team, 2 from the tennis team, and 3 from the trap shooting crew. So some of the guys didn't know proper techniques. Now the old bluebird they travel in has a exhaust leak so the fumes had the boys a little woozy too. Even with all these factors weighing in the real problem was the word "proper". You see the word "proper" and Giles cannot be used in a sentence together. We are about as un-proper as you can get! :roflol:

You know you have a point. The more coaches around the area and more specific the district and the more people that I talk to that are involved in athletics (basketball, baseball, etc.) they all seem to mention how classless and rude Giles County (fans and coaches) are. I always knew the arrogance on coacht but I just assumed it was just a few posters. Seems it runs deeper than that. Maybe their reputation travels much further than here locally. Colleges maybe? Anyways back to the weights. I just think that there should be consistency in a competition. Do the weights with correct form. Kindof like timing the 40 with a 5 yard head start. Much easier to run a 4.4 that way.

You know you have a point. The more coaches around the area and more specific the district and the more people that I talk to that are involved in athletics (basketball, baseball, etc.) they all seem to mention how classless and rude Giles County (fans and coaches) are. I always knew the arrogance on coacht but I just assumed it was just a few posters. Seems it runs deeper than that. Maybe their reputation travels much further than here locally. Colleges maybe? Anyways back to the weights. I just think that there should be consistency in a competition. Do the weights with correct form. Kindof like timing the 40 with a 5 yard head start. Much easier to run a 4.4 that way.

You see Frankie us Giles folks lack the silver spoons you Williamson County folks enjoy. Most of us can't even afford under pinning for our doublewides! We usually just swipe the plastic fencing you guys put up in construction areas and spray paint them to match. As a matter of fact the last new job that came to Giles County was way back in the 90's. That's when we got our 2nd Dollar General Store. Big celebration and all. And don't even put us down because we all like to watch the gals wrestle on Saturday nights over at the old armory. Sometime a little chaw will drip onto the baseball when one of the boys throws it but our balls are old and dingy colored so you can't even tell it anyway. It all stems from having to vision LMSS in heels & hose. Brain damage for sure.

You are wrong about the 5 yard head start. We only use 3. We are developing a "reputation". Its used to be an automatic win when playing Giles. Now we tend to get on peoples nerves a bit. Colleges seem to like us a little since 13 of our classless rude young men are now playing there over the last three years. You don't have to put much effort into arguing with us. CoachT will tell ya that we are may be the best at locking threads simply by bashing each other. And basically your right. Giles folks didn't cry when Old Yellow died :roflol:

I think you misunderstood. The stronger player is not always the best player. And talking about strength I was referring to the weightroom obviously. But if you are going to do a WEIGHTLIFTING competition then at least do the lifts correctly. Otherwise why bother having the competition.

It's supposed to be a reward for the players who don't play spring sports for their work in the weightroom.It started as a chance to see how teams in the ragion stacked up.The clean and the bench are the two easiest for MOST people to judge.(I understand that you think only you can do that) This is not a TSSAA sponsored lift If you want powerlifting as a sport call your board of control member Brian True and I'm sure he will accomodate you.Evry one of these I've ever seen around here 'somebody' from williamson county ALLWAYS finds monumental fallacies and cries unfair!