White Station vs Dyer County

Icy

Question for all you basketball nostalgia people. Would you consider DC a bigger underdog against Whitestation in the big orange pressure cooker or DC vs BTW @ BTW in 2001 when BTW was stacked, nationally ranked and got beat by DC? Just a question that probably only a select few could answer objectively. Personally I think the BTW game was the biggest win in school history and, would be a much bigger upset that DC over WS. I've seen both teams play and feel that WS is the better team but, as has been proven time and time again, in sub-state you only have to be the best team on that day.

AAA is a big big big difference than AA. If DC can pull this off, this will be the biggest upset above that BTW game. WS is a much better team and better coached team than BTW teams. Pressing WS is not a smart coaching move....period...

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for all you basketball nostalgia people. Would you consider DC a bigger underdog against Whitestation in the big orange pressure cooker or DC vs BTW @ BTW in 2001 when BTW was stacked, nationally ranked and got beat by DC? Just a question that probably only a select few could answer objectively. Personally I think the BTW game was the biggest win in school history and, would be a much bigger upset that DC over WS. I've seen both teams play and feel that WS is the better team but, as has been proven time and time again, in sub-state you only have to be the best team on that day.

AAA is a big big big difference than AA. If DC can pull this off, this will be the biggest upset above that BTW game. WS is a much better team and better coached team than BTW teams. Pressing WS is not a smart coaching move....period...

I agree with the no pressing part. Playing in a half court it's gonna be pick your poison. Personal I would pack down in a tight 2-3 to stop the drives and, pray that the unfamiliarity with the surroundings will somewhat temper the perimeter shooting of WS at least for a while. Not sure if it would work but, hey you gotta do something right?

Hey Icy....I'll be there and while DC has surprised me this year...I am a realist. Sun, moon and stars need to be aligned :thumb:. A lot of youth on DC for sure

White Station has more than Joe Jackson but he clearly is the best player for White Station. Jackson will probably drop 40 or more against DC and the full court pressure will not be an issue for Jackson. For the people that haven't seen him....you will walk away stunned at how good this kid is.....he will remind you of John Wall without the size...he is that good. One of the big keys for this game in my mind will be what kind of defensive adjustments will DC make once Jackson shows that he can easily handle and beat the full court pressure. Will DC back off? DC has a shot but it will be very very tough to pull this one out....I said on another thread a couple of days ago that if DC or Jackson North Side could either get WS at home there chances would be much better than having to play Melrose. Don't put any stock in the fact that Jackson only scored 12 points tonight against Melrose. Melrose has enough high major big time athletes across the board that they can do things other teams can't do on defense against a player of Jackson's caliber. Melrose simply overwhelms other teams with it's size and talent.....even teams from Memphis every now and then....Melrose is that good. I will be pulling for DC but it's going to be tough. One thing I do like is the DC coach and I think they will have the advantage there. I don't think the hostile environment will effect WS because they have seen that many times in Memphis. DC has some very good players and are very talented with what I believe to be at least 4 D1 talents in Janes, Yarbrough, Hudson, and Hubbs. The deal is Yarbrough and Hudson are sophs and Hubbs is a freshman...that may be the difference right there....simply not enough upper classman to lead them against a team like White Station. I will say this....if DC does in fact beat WS I would not be shocked at all if they cracked the top 100 rankings heading into the state tournament.

Fore those that don't know about White Station

Joe Jackson 5'11 Sr consensus top 15 player in the country signed with Memphis

Andre Hollins 6'2 Jr consensus top 100 player in the country

Nino Johnson 6'6 Jr D1 High Major

Marvin Williams 6'6 D1 low major

FYI:

In 2001, BTW WON STATE, with Taurean Moy setting the all-time state tournament record for 3-pointers made, and a freshman by the name of Andre Allen winning State Tournament MVP honors. They beat Austin-East in the Final, the 3rd consecutive year Austin-East got to the State Championship game and lost to a Memphis opponent(Ridgeway in 2000 and Carver in 1999)

The year DC beat BTW in sub-state was 2002, after Moy graduating. And that game was NOT at BTW. It, as well as the Ridgeway/Haywood game were BOTH at the Mid-South Coliseum. This very website even has the pictures.

And, i think that in this game, considering White Station is nationally ranked in Rivals and was pre-season top 25 in USA Today, and also is led by a McDonald's All-American who'll likely be 1-and-done in college, DC is probably a bigger underdog. And trust me, White Station plays ALOT better on the road than they do at home.

Oh yeah, and to yankees: Nino Johnson is FAR from a high-major talent.

I agree with the no pressing part. Playing in a half court it's gonna be pick your poison. Personal I would pack down in a tight 2-3 to stop the drives and, pray that the unfamiliarity with the surroundings will somewhat temper the perimeter shooting of WS at least for a while. Not sure if it would work but, hey you gotta do something right?

"Zone" is also a losing proposition against White Station, IMO.

White Station has perimeter shooters and, if DC lacks height in the post, then White Station big men will suddenly look like World-beaters (especially "garbage man" Nino Johnson) on the boards and offensively.

Bottom line: White Station has repeatedly proven that it has the versatility, speed, slashers, shooters and big men....enough to go toe-to-toe with the elite teams in the entire country, regardless of the opponent's style. Then to top it all off, the Spartans shoot FTs very well.

Ironically, it's in the Mphs area (given the extreme talent level of Districts 15 & 16) that White Station was made to look like an average team at times and, earlier in the year, caused many to underestimate them....especially me.

Thanks for the info Yankees I know all about Joe Jackson but the others I didn't know much about :thumb:

I'm pulling for my Choctaws but it's definitely going to be really tough, as someone said almost a near perfect game. Of course that's why you play the game :thumb:

"Zone" is also a losing proposition against White Station, IMO.

White Station has perimeter shooters and, if DC lacks height in the post, then White Station big men will suddenly look like World-beaters (especially "garbage man" Nino Johnson) on the boards and offensively.

Bottom line: White Station has repeatedly proven that it has the versatility, speed, slashers, shooters and big men....enough to go toe-to-toe with the elite teams in the entire country, regardless of the opponent's style. Then to top it all off, the Spartans shoot FTs very well.

Ironically, it's in the Mphs area (given the extreme talent level of Districts 15 & 16) that White Station was made to look like an average team at times and, earlier in the year, caused many to underestimate them....especially me.

We gotta play some kinda defense right. No way we man up or press. Both are losing propositions. This is why I say zone:

Pack the players down low to try to somewhat offset the size deficit and put your players in a better position to contest any penetration. Then pray that they have an off shooting night.

Three things to remember. WS won't get any smaller, we won't get any taller, and a layup is easier to hit than a three pointer.

FYI:

In 2001, BTW WON STATE, with Taurean Moy setting the all-time state tournament record for 3-pointers made, and a freshman by the name of Andre Allen winning State Tournament MVP honors. They beat Austin-East in the Final, the 3rd consecutive year Austin-East got to the State Championship game and lost to a Memphis opponent(Ridgeway in 2000 and Carver in 1999)

The year DC beat BTW in sub-state was 2002, after Moy graduating. And that game was NOT at BTW. It, as well as the Ridgeway/Haywood game were BOTH at the Mid-South Coliseum. This very website even has the pictures.

And, i think that in this game, considering White Station is nationally ranked in Rivals and was pre-season top 25 in USA Today, and also is led by a McDonald's All-American who'll likely be 1-and-done in college, DC is probably a bigger underdog. And trust me, White Station plays ALOT better on the road than they do at home.

I think Nino will end up a high major....he has a very strong upside. He has one more year to prove it.

FYI:

I think Nino will end up a high major....he has a very strong upside. He has one more year to prove it.

And Nino does not play his true position....he is a wing playing the center/power foward position. I think he will blossom over the summer.

Firestone,

Mark my words Nino Johnson will be a high major recruit. Wait and see. I know some don't believe that but he will be. Just don't get on here singing his praises next season when I turn out to be right. Trust me when I say he has been getting some attention already.

You certainly will not get any arguments from me, about Nino's next-year prospects. :motorbike:

----------------------------------------------------

I absolutely raved about Nino Johnson when I first saw him last year, when he played for Melrose!

While Nino did not play often (enough), everytime he was inserted into the game -- good things always seemed to happen for Melrose. Nino was always around the ball and in the right place @ the right time. He quietly and consistently made all the key "hustle" plays, got scrap buckets off break-down plays and loose balls, got clutch rebounds, etc.... Melrose never ran plays for him, of course.

That's why I started calling Nino the "Garbage Man."

Since Nino transferred to White Station and cracked the starting lineup, he's still just as laid back and unassuming as ever. While he still excels as an active blue-collar "Garbage Man," his offensive skills don't appear to be D1-level outstanding, IMO.....not yet, anyway. I'd rate his skills as good, at this point.

In all fairness, though--everybody knows that White Station's offense runs through PG Joe Jackson, not Nino Johnson and his fellow big men. Therefore, Nino never really gets enough touches in the paint, in order to consistently demonstrate whatever offensive skills he might have...and for me to accurately gauge his skill-set.

Next year, I expect to see Nino become more of a focal point of White Station's offense. If that happens, then I will not be shocked to see Nino become more aggressive offensively and begin to demonstrate a D1 skill-set.