13 AA Baseball.....

Purple & Gold Standard

O.K.....Disclaimer....I haven't followed high school baseball other than seeing the occasional scores in our local paper....I can count on one hand the times I've actually went to a game....Two of those times was when I was in high school when Union City played Unicoi County for a state championship at the UC diamond in a 2 out of 3 series and Unicoi swept the Tornadoes....That was back in the early 80's... B)

I have seen that there are a few teams in 13AA that have good baseball traditions....Milan, Covington and Ripley in recent years have fielded good teams.....I hear Dyersburg is probably the team to beat this year ??.......

I noticed on Obion Central's schedule that they play everyone in the district except Crockett County...Is that a misprint or is Crockett County fielding a team ??....Is the district broken up into two divisions ??..North and South ??....

The teams in the district are :

Covington

Ripley

Haywood County

Obion Central

Martin Westview

Milan

Gibson County

Dyersburg

Crockett County ?

To all you folks that keep up high school baseball.....Who are the teams to beat ??....Who are the players from each team to watch (Best pitchers, hitters, fielders) ??...Who are the best coaches??..Who out of this district has a chance to advance and possibly win a state championship??....Are the teams opposite this district (region tournament) strong ??

See you at some of the games .....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The district is split up this year with milan dyersburg, westview, gibson county, and oc is one division and haywood, ripley, covington and crockett in the other.

I really do not know much about covington and ripley b/c they are coming over from a different district but traditionally they have been really good for the past 10 years or so. I know crockett and haywood are down right dreadful

The other divison: gc will be terrible but will have a chance to win the first game in every district series because trey tate is exceptional. Westview will have really good pitching but will have trouble scoring runs(this is usually the case every year for them) milan is milan and will be fundamentally sound; I also have heard good things about their young kids. Obion will be decent but they never live up to their potential( in my opinion they get outcoached every game they play). Dyersburg will be the favorite on this side of the district b/c they have a great coach and they reload every year. Its ridiculous how much talent comes out of that city and county every year.

1. covington

2. ripley

3.crockett

4. haywood

1. dyersburg

2/3 milan/westview

4. oc

5. gibson county

Obion Central opens up the 2010 baseball season this week with a trio of 14A opponents....

Tues. 3/16 vs Trenton Peabody...Varsity plays @ 5 PM...JV plays @ 7 PM...

Thurs. 3/18 @ South Fulton...Varsity plays @ 6:30 PM..JV plays @ 4:30 PM...

Fri. 3/19 @ Union City...Varsity plays @ 6:30 PM...JV plays @ 4 PM...

Weather permitting of course....

GC prolly couldnt foot the the price of driving up there because the gas prices bein so high.. they have become very cheap when i comes to any program besides girls basketball and band.. GC isnt even playin on their home field for home games. they are playin at a city park.. lol for some reason they see it that it costs too much to keep their field up

Obion Central plays Greenfield today at 5 at Obion Central. Greenfield was supposed to play Gibson Co. today. But, they backed out for some reason. So, Obion Central will be playing Greenfield for real tonight.

You sure it's for real ??...My son thinks it a scrimmage... :thumb:

OC had 2 JV and 2 Varsity games rained out in a play-day at Union City this weekend....I sure wished they could have played...They need the practice and especially the at-bats...

It was a real game, and the Jackets really won, Purple. The Jackets have the potential this year to be very, very good. We have great pitching, good defense, decent to good hitting, and our bench is deep. We have boys on the bench that would be starting for a lot of teams in single A. We, also, have a good coach. The only thing that's a concern is our youth. Out of 17 boys on the team, we only have 2 seniors, and one of them is hurt and out at least until the district tourney, and maybe longer. So, we're young. The boy that pitched the shut out last night is a sophomore.

But, this team could go far...especially if our hitting can improve.

It was a real game, and the Jackets really won, Purple. The Jackets have the potential this year to be very, very good. We have great pitching, good defense, decent to good hitting, and our bench is deep. We have boys on the bench that would be starting for a lot of teams in single A. We, also, have a good coach. The only thing that's a concern is our youth. Out of 17 boys on the team, we only have 2 seniors, and one of them is hurt and out at least until the district tourney, and maybe longer. So, we're young. The boy that pitched the shut out last night is a sophomore.

But, this team could go far...especially if our hitting can improve.

Yeah, that's what I found out....I don't really know why they took this game..They had been out of school since Thursday and hadn't practiced since then...My son did say the kid pitching was a sophomore....OC has only two seniors as well, one that hasn't played all four years, maybe at all....My son came in and pitched the last two innings and played left field....He hasn't played in a game since the summer of his 7th grade year...He is a junior now...

Good luck to the Jackets this year....I don't know what McKenzie has this year but aren't they normally pretty good ??..I saw where Union City beat them 7-3 last night...