Play-off comittee

coach1076

First let me say the committee has been conducted under the utmost secrecy. No input from any other coaches and a mostly hand picked group that the TSSAA (Board of Control) limited from the start. They will recommend and it will be passed to take the top 2 in each district as automatic playoff teams. The rest of the teams will be based on their record. The TSSAA tiebreaker will be used to break any ties. For those who have scheduled well you have an advantage.

I agree and disagree just a tad. Item 3 helps (Wins over teams winning 50% or more of their games.) but it is better than 2009. Maybe they will tweak it every year until they get it right. It doesn't resolve the problem with knowing the 1st game playoff competition until Saturday mid day. It may muddy the picture more than 2009.

News is, competitive scheduling continues to be relentlessly punished.

According to minutes released by the TSSAA:

1. Top two teams in every district are in the playoffs.

2. Remaining teams in each bracket are determined based on how they finished in regular season using the set criteria described below.

3. Quadrants set based on geography.

4. Seeding within quadrants based solely on how teams finished using the set criteria.

In order for the system to work, the following must be put into place:

1. Teams in the same district may play each other in the 1st round of the playoffs.

2. Teams finishing in the top half of their sub-group will not automatically qualify for the playoffs.

All teams not finishing 1st or 2nd in their district must qualify based on how they finished in regular season using the set criteria listed below. Their selection will be based on the number of available slots left in the bracket after the District #1 and #2 finishers are determined.

FOOTBALL PLAYOFF CRITERIA

1. Total number of victories

2. Number of teams you played that won 50% or more of their games (Takes into consideration strength of schedule).

3. Wins over teams winning 50% or more of their games.

4. Total number of victories by all opponents.

5. Fewest defeats of all opponents.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100316/SPORTS07/100316099/-1/RSS05

From what I have read teams that finished like 1-9, 3-7 are out and teams like Knox West & Knox Halls would have been in the playoffs evenb thought they had a 4-6 record. Lookks better to me, but I aint no expert.

Now is the time for all you know-it-alls to stand up and be counted. It will help clear up the playoff picture from what I been told and it wont be on middle day Saturday.