Westwood vs Grace Baptist 1A Semi-Finals

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(24-7) Westwood Longhorns vs (23-7) Grace Baptist

Who ya got ??

contain Brandon Harman like Manassas did last year. Put a man on him and deny him the ball all over the floor. If he get it ran a double team at him so he will have to give the ball up. Westwood do that then they win in the teens just like they did Humboldt.

Can Westwood rely on another outburst by the Gary kid again tomorrow ??..Where was Zachary Smith yesterday ??....Holt and Pledge seem to be steady players....The bench had a big game against Humboldt scoring 38 points (Gary 32 & Nesby 6)....Stopping the Herman kid from Grace will be the key for Westwood...I think Westwood will win by 8-12 points....

Is that you Legend ??.... :thumb::thumb:

Can Westwood rely on another outburst by the Gary kid again tomorrow ??..Where was Zachary Smith yesterday ??....Holt and Pledge seem to be steady players....The bench had a big game against Humboldt scoring 38 points (Gary 32 & Nesby 6)....Stopping the Herman kid from Grace will be the key for Westwood...I think Westwood will win by 8-12 points....

Is that you Legend ??.... :thumb::thumb:

My name is Coach Megatron. I coach AAU basketball out of Memphis. I been coaching some of these Westwood kids since 8th grade. I been coaching basketball for 20 years in Memphis.

While I would not begin to argue with Megatron's pedigree/experience or his knowledge of the game of basketball and his relationship with the Westwood players, I disagree with the game plan to slow down the Grace team, especially based on the sentiments and strategy he shares about Herman concerning the game against Manassas last year. While it may be true that Brandon Herman provides a full arsenal of offense and in my opinion, some difficult match ups for Westwood, if Grace is able to slow the game down (from the Westwood style to a more strategic game plan) (I cite Grace's game against Humboldt some years back), it could prove to be an interesting contest. Believe me, Grace has many different facets and added skill by other players to their game to beat Westwood. The game played against Oliver Springs yesterday was little indication of their offensive or defensive prowess. Westwood will have a solid contender in Grace. My prediction - Grace - 64

Westwood - 59

PS It will be much worse if Westwood shoots "Free Throws" like they did yesterday.

While I would not begin to argue with Megatron's pedigree/experience or his knowledge of the game of basketball and his relationship with the Westwood players, I disagree with the game plan to slow down the Grace team, especially based on the sentiments and strategy he shares about Herman concerning the game against Manassas last year. While it may be true that Brandon Herman provides a full arsenal of offense and in my opinion, some difficult match ups for Westwood, if Grace is able to slow the game down (from the Westwood style to a more strategic game plan) (I cite Grace's game against Humboldt some years back), it could prove to be an interesting contest. Believe me, Grace has many different facets and added skill by other players to their game to beat Westwood. The game played against Oliver Springs yesterday was little indication of their offensive or defensive prowess. Westwood will have a solid contender in Grace. My prediction - Grace - 64

Westwood - 59

PS It will be much worse if Westwood shoots "Free Throws" like they did yesterday.

how can a team slow the game down under pressure like westwood will bring it?

that game plan worked for manassas last year so why not westwood too?

The only thing I can see is that Z. Smith will need to play for Westwood. He better then Gary!

Here are few points to consider:

One year later = more experience by the supporting players as well as Brandon - Grace has weathered or played in many close battles this year and against that type or greater pressure.

At parts of the game, Grace can match that type of quick play as they did with McCallie or with CSAS or they can also slow the game down as they did yesterday. Grace's strength will be a solid offense and defense against a team that can run and probably rebound much better. Grace will need to box out on the boards and they will.

I really think it comes down to a "run and gun" type offense vs a "fundamentally sound" ball club. From my viewpoint, if Westwood plays the way they did yesterday, they will lose. Westwood did not have a great game even though they outplayed Humboldt.

It will be a great contest, worthy to watch and I wish both teams the very best.

Sorry guys but college coaches are not looking for a kid that can just come down pass the ball and set a screen. They are looking for the athletic kids that can take someone off the dribble and get to the basket, if the kid can speed dribble to the basket and shoot they are consider to be a top prospect. These county school who suppose to be FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND TEAMS are not going to the big D1 schools. Plus they are not winning the STATE every year because when the game is on the line, all the fundamental stuff goes out the window because its all about who can get to the basket and who can shoot the basketball. So to answer your question WESTWOOD wins by 15. Thank You and I approve this message...................

Sorry guys but college coaches are not looking for a kid that can just come down pass the ball and set a screen. They are looking for the athletic kids that can take someone off the dribble and get to the basket, if the kid can speed dribble to the basket and shoot they are consider to be a top prospect. These county school who suppose to be FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND TEAMS are not going to the big D1 schools. Plus they are not winning the STATE every year because when the game is on the line, all the fundamental stuff goes out the window because its all about who can get to the basket and who can shoot the basketball. So to answer your question WESTWOOD wins by 15. Thank You and I approve this message...................

I'm not disagreeing with your prediction... But Grace is far from a county school and fundamentals definitely don't go out the window when the game is on the line. It is the athletes with fundamentals that go D1.