Bolivar vs. Liberty - AA State Championship

cmeister

Toinemac, Bolivar will be playing for a gold ball, but far from a great team. Great teams don't always find a way to win, an average team can find a way to win. Bolivar made a great comeback, and the fans should feel good. Like I said before, you guys get on here and build these teams up to be more than what they are. All I hear about is how weak everything outside the west is. It's not hating, it's about respect. I'm not going back and forth defending Marshall, this game is between Bolivar/Liberty. Just know that if you think the only basketball is being played in the west, you need to travel more. Good luck to all, and Marshall will see you at the Boro next year!

You need to let it go. Bolivar and Liberty are FROM THE SAME DISTRICT AND WILL BE PLAYING FOR THE AA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP...LET ME REPEAT...FROM THE SAME DISTRICT. It doesn't really matter what you, me, or anyone else thinks the fact remains Bolivar knocked of Fulton and Marshall County (east and middle) and Liberty knocked off Howard and Mapelwood (east and middle).....East and Middle TN had the chance this season and didn't get the job done...That's 4 teams that bit the dust....case closed ...end of story. It's kind of hard to support your argument when the rest of the state is batting a whopping ZERO against two teams from THE SAME DISTRICT.

I'm pretty sure you don't know anything about Bolivar except what you have seen at the state tournament. Bolivar is 30 and 4 with they're last 4 wins (all post season) coming against Liberty, Trezevant, Fulton, and Marshall County...........Honestly do you think Marshall County would have enough to beat Liberty, Trezevant, and Fulton back to back to back...I don't think so.

If you honestly believe Middle TN high school basketball is on par with the West you are the one that needs to get out and travel more. Personally I don't see anything that would resemble a truly signature win on the entire Marshall County schedule........certainly NOTHING CLOSE to some of the teams Bolivar has beat this season. With the exception of Fulton in AA nobody else from the other parts of the state has proved they are equal footing and even when Fulton won back to back the silver balls came to the West. Even when the west is down a little in talent they still win........YOU JUST DON'T GET IT. Every now and then a team from the middle or east catch lightning in a bottle for 2 or 3 years and then they flame out....that doesn't happen in the west. After today's AA state championship game it will be 5 out of the last 7 AA gold balls to go to the same district from West TN...you do understand that 5 out of 7 FROM THE SAME DISTRICT speaks to the level of teams that come for the district don't you...Oh and this will be the 2nd time in that span that District 12AA has brought home both the gold and silver balls. This district is good and consistent and not just good every now and then or has really good teams every now and then like most districts.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toinemac, Bolivar will be playing for a gold ball, but far from a great team. Great teams don't always find a way to win, an average team can find a way to win. Bolivar made a great comeback, and the fans should feel good. Like I said before, you guys get on here and build these teams up to be more than what they are. All I hear about is how weak everything outside the west is. It's not hating, it's about respect. I'm not going back and forth defending Marshall, this game is between Bolivar/Liberty. Just know that if you think the only basketball is being played in the west, you need to travel more. Good luck to all, and Marshall will see you at the Boro next year!

MC1992, I know you addressed this post to Toinemac, but I just gotta say a couple of things.

If the Tigers win the Gold Ball today, after overcoming two difficult games-with great players, then I do believe they can truly be considered a great team. I feel that yesterday's game was one of the biggest wins Bolivar has had in a long time. And the Tigers have beaten some great teams. After the Fulton and MC wins...we're proud of the players and coaches no matter what.

Also, I believe most posts from the west are not really meant as dissing any Mid or East teams...they're just trying to get folks fired up.

Finally...I really hope the Bolivar Tigers are back at the tourney next year...and I don't mind one bit if they play Marshall. I have the utmost respect for every team up there and Bolivar, or whoever, must beat the best to be the best. So...bring it. If we can't do it then, today or whenever, my hat is off to the team that wins. If Liberty wins today...hat's off to them. They are a great team...no matter where they're from! Bolivar v. Liberty games are always good ones!

Yes. I realize that was three comments and not just a couple!

Let 4pm come on and may the best team win. Wish I was there, since I can't be I'll be watching Bolivar alum Wayne Chism and the UT Vols while listening to the TIGERS!!!

One final comment......off topic, I know...kudos to former Bolivar Tiger Willie Kemp. He's a great young man and I'm truly sorry his college carrer ended last night.

Congrats to Bolivar and Liberty. However, I just didn't see anything special at all from Bolvar. I'm not hating, just expected after hearing all year how great Bolivar/Liberty was, I expected more. Marshall probably had like 30 turnovers, but 15 could've been called fouls. Marshall was clearly better than Bolivar, and I don't expect any Bolivar fans to agree, but if you were at the game you saw it yourself. Marshall got out coached, not out played. The game was ours to win, and we didn't. I can't speak for Liberty, but the best team didn't come out of Bolivar/Marshall's bracket. Nebuntyn, you got your wish with Bolivar/Liberty, but please do me a huge favor. Please stop building these overrated West Tenn. teams up to be so great. Bolivar/Liberty are good, but far from great. You're always posting how somebody's going to win by 20+(particularly west tenn. teams). It's ok to be a fan, but be honest with yourself. By the way if Kedren Johnson doesn't get Mr. Basketball something is terribly wrong. He is by far the only player in AA that can't be checked one on one. We had a great year(Marshall), and any unbiased fan that was at the game clearly saw who the better team was. The best team doesn't always win though, but if you're going to talk down on east and mid. tenn. be sure that your team is truly that much better. No disrespect to any Bolivar/Liberty fans, just the one that constantly talks so much about how west is better than everybody else(specifically Nebuntyn). I'm clearly a Marshall fan, but I refuse to get on here before a game and tell you how many points my team is better than yours. I'll end this by saying, great year Marshall Co. and congrats to Bolvar/Liberty.

Mr.MC 1992....LMAO! Marshall County shot 19-36 for the game 10-18 from the free throw line....Bolivar shot 20-59 from the game and 9-15 from the free throw line. In overtime Bolivar shot 12-16 from the free throw line. Marshall County had 27 turnovers at the end of regulation.....Here is my point....off of those 27 turnovers Marshall County only scored 10 points. If i recall Marshall County also lost the lead in the Tyner game, as I have said in the past without a doubt West Tennessee has the best men's basketball.......out of the past 6 AA state champions 4 have been from district 12AA now district 14AA....and today district 14AA will play for the championship....that says something (same district). Marshall County has a stud.... in Kedren Johnson, my problem is this, life is bigger than the square in the sidewalk.......They need to schedule AAA teams, go to the Penny Hardaway Classic in Memphis, Marshall County Hoopfest in Kentucky, The Poplar bluff showdown in Missouri, The Arby's classic, The Bank of America city of Palms Classic in Florida......Liberty has done all of these in the past and Bolivar has done most of these and went to Hawaii. They also go to Memphis and get beat up. The difference in both Marshall County games was clearly their mental edge, it was not there....If Bolivar played Marshall County 10 times I am taking Bolivar in all 10.....Any true fan knows that you can't judge a team off 1 game........Here are some facts for you Liberty has been in existence for only 7 years, they will win their 3rd gold ball today......Marshall County has been open since the dinosaur ages and how many gold balls do they have......enough said. Liberty is also tied with the best start in state tournament history 8-0.....they will break that today. Liberty also is the only team in state tournament history to have their starting 5 make the all tournament team. MC 1992 i don't know what rock you are under, but please come out to the real world.....West Tn has dominated the gold ball the past 10 years in AA and AAA, that's facts not opinion. Having said all that since you said that Bolivar is not that good, is fair to say that Marshall County Choked because in 2 games they lost leads....In the Bolivar game Jay Murphy killed Marshall County By himself in overtime, so I will call him clutch. There is no doubt Lebron James is the best player in the NBA, but I will still take Kobe Bryant in the clutch....Period.

The Marshall County coach has player ranked 80ish overall in the nation, I think he needs to adjust his schedule accordingly. He also shouldn't tell his kids at least we made it this far, moral victories are just that.....Moral. I don't believe everybody is a winner, everybody cant win, but go with the mindset to win. New coach may help as well. Bolivar clearly didn't play their best game, but mentally they were stronger.......As far as AA Mr. Basketball I agree Kedren Johnson should get it, but I have come to find out, that the best player is not neccessarily the winner....I was told that it is based on current year performance, I don't believe that.....I think it's overall body of work and with that being said, Jalen Steele was clutch the past 2 years and for that reason I think he will win Mr. Basketball. My vote would be for Kedren Johnson as well, but like you I don't have a vote. Liberty Tech 2010 AA State Champions BOOK IT! :thumb:

K Johnson had 10 of those turnovers. That's an insane amount from one player. I'm fairly certain Bolivar had something to do with that.

yankees8589, you said it man. Bolivar has had trouble with shots falling-in the last two games...but their defense has won the last two games. Most people would say...a good "D" outweighs luck almost anytime.

I have to believe they will have more shots fall today. They are due to have a better game in that department today.

I think they got away with some fouls and got a few charges called with flops on d, but they still put forth a great defensive effort. I feel confident in saying that Marshall Co. was the better team, but Bolivar found a way to win, and that's what championship teams do. I also wouldn't say that Marshall Co. just got out-coached. Coach Tigert drew up a great gameplan, but Murphy just wasn't going to let Bolivar lose.

I think they got away with some fouls and got a few charges called with flops on d, but they still put forth a great defensive effort. I feel confident in saying that Marshall Co. was the better team, but Bolivar found a way to win, and that's what championship teams do. I also wouldn't say that Marshall Co. just got out-coached. Coach Tigert drew up a great gameplan, but Murphy just wasn't going to let Bolivar lose.

I can't agree with all of your post here mcfan10, but as soon as the game was over I posted that Marshall Co. gave us all we wanted. I still believe that.

I do agree with you that championship teams do find a way to win...and that goes for Bolivar, Liberty, Marshall or whoever! But still, no matter what happens this half, I'm proud of our team because Steele and Johnson were both tough competition.

It's the half and it's 30-27 Bolivar. Shooting is much better for the Tigers...but still anybody's game.

Either way man, we'll know before long!

But...COME ON TIGERS!