soccerstud

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lenoir city - 1

maryville - 1

VERY interesting!

This is from a Maryville perspective so I might be a little biased. It really wasn't that interesting. Maryville is so banged up that there was not much they could do to prevent a tricky LC team and deal with a terrible field. The field is so narrow and was slick as ice. Coach Feather found out after school today that our starting center back was out with a broken foot from the Catholic game, and he also found out at practice that Bradley Fischer is not ready to go yet. Also important...Austin Pugh cannot play right now. he spent the bulk of the Catholic game on the bench and he spent almost the whole second half on the bench too from his ongoing knee problems. SO....Maryville had to play in a formation that they have never played in all year, they were missing two all district players and their team captain center back, and they could not possess on such a narrow field. When it comes down to it, Maryville no longer has any depth with all of their players injured, and if you look at X's and O's....with all of the injuries that Maryville has, there was really only 4 full time starters on the field tonight from last season. Excuses, excuses...i know. I feel bad for some of the Maryville players who are having to spend their junior and senior years watching, but I guess when it rains it pours...LITERALLY it poured tonight.

Let's take nothing away from Lenoir City...they played an awesome game and very easily could have won had they finished some of their chances in the first half. I predict that they are not through upsetting people.

Wow, didn't see the LC/Maryville score coming, but am not that surprised with how LC always finds ways to come up against "bigger" teams and show they can play on any given night. RebelFan, I don't blame you for explaining some of the behind the scenes stuff that we wouldn't know about. I don't really view it as making excuses. I know of a few more teams that have suffered a string of setbacks and are not showing as well as the will at the end of the season when it really counts. I hope you guys can get healthy soon.

As far as our match with Ooltewah tonight.....very frustrating! And I don't mean to slight Ooltewah in any way, but we didn't play very well finishing off with our attack. It is early in the season so some of that is expected, but I give the Owls credit that while we created some good chances, they were so organized in the back that they forced us into tough spots when it was time to finish. Very frustrating playing a well coached team that shows you what you want to see, only to bait you into what they do well. I'm just really glad to come home with a win against a good team. I think Ooltewah will make some noise in their district and region and by the time the real season starts, could make a good run.

For anyone that is near the area, the Cleveland tournament is looking to be pretty awesome with matchups the rest of the weekend. Lots of good teams, but also lots of different styles that make this so much fun early in the season. We all come out better in the end.

lenoir city - 1

maryville - 1

VERY interesting!

This is from a Maryville perspective so I might be a little biased. It really wasn't that interesting. Maryville is so banged up that there was not much they could do to prevent a tricky LC team and deal with a terrible field. The field is so narrow and was slick as ice. Coach Feather found out after school today that our starting center back was out with a broken foot from the Catholic game, and he also found out at practice that Bradley Fischer is not ready to go yet. Also important...Austin Pugh cannot play right now. he spent the bulk of the Catholic game on the bench and he spent almost the whole second half on the bench too from his ongoing knee problems. SO....Maryville had to play in a formation that they have never played in all year, they were missing two all district players and their team captain center back, and they could not possess on such a narrow field. When it comes down to it, Maryville no longer has any depth with all of their players injured, and if you look at X's and O's....with all of the injuries that Maryville has, there was really only 4 full time starters on the field tonight from last season. Excuses, excuses...i know. I feel bad for some of the Maryville players who are having to spend their junior and senior years watching, but I guess when it rains it pours...LITERALLY it poured tonight.

Let's take nothing away from Lenoir City...they played an awesome game and very easily could have won had they finished some of their chances in the first half. I predict that they are not through upsetting people.

Blaming how a game went on the condition of the field isn't a very good excuse. LC played with a whole new formation as well and with almost no depth at all.

LCPanther...i think if you reread my post, you will see that the bulk of my excuses...and i admit that they are excuses...are because Maryville has so many kids out. They subbed in literally two players all game last night, and at the beginning of pre-season they were worried about keeping everyone happy because of playing time. Trust me...some of the players that they have out are big time difference makers...Austin Pugh etc

You are right though. I am making excuses and it is a bit pathetic. Blaming it on a field is a bad excuse...good teams adjust to tough conditions and I think Maryville proved that they could adjust in the second half. Lenoir City also played a great game!

As some may have already seen, we had to forfeit our win over Scott County. This is our first year with an exchange student on our roster, and, unknown to the coaches, the proper paperwork was not finalized when we played him in the Scott County game. While he only played a few minutes, the rule still applied. We self reported the morning after the Scott County game, and the state handed out their ruling this afternoon.

While it was hard to take, I believe in James 1:2. We have been through a lot this season (those who are close to us know what has happened as far as the severe injuries) but I have faith that God has a plan through all of this.

Not meaning to preach, but I also wanted my boys to see that this is so much more than just winning and losing, and as coaches, we have a responsibility to show our young men and women that even though sometimes it is VERY hard to do the right thing, it still needs to be done, regardless of the ramifications.

In the Southern Soccer Challenge (hosted by Grissom and Randolph Acad in Alabama):

Independence defeated Randolph Acad (AL) 1 - 0

Christian Brothers defeated East Limestone (AL) 4 - 0

Father Ryan defeated Grissom (AL) 1 - 0

Putnam City (OK) defeated Brentwood 2 - 1

Saturday's games:

Independence v Christian Brothers

Father Ryan v Putnam City (OK)

Brentwood v Grissom

Randolph Acad v East Limestone