Losers for week three in the Mid-State

MrNoitAll

Well Birdie and I got out to more parks this week and weekend and got to see some real losers playin. Some things never change and again there were winners and losers and the loser’s just keep on a losin!

1. Again in first place are the metro schools, until they have summer programs and play travel ball and get it things together things will never get any better.

2. F.C. Boyd School---looks like they will be here for a long while looks like they could get players from Putman County, Cannon County, Grundy County as well as some from the Coffee County area to help their athletic programs. Oh I forgot it ain’t about winnin it about learnin to be a good loser.

3. Harpeth----this team needs help in all areas and just will not have a good year this year, next year or years to come, great kids and they are a tryin but do not look good.

4. White County---this town does not have a good summer program and they do not play travel ball, just another town that has softball in the spring but never be goin to the “Boro.”

5. Tullahoma---Home of “Ole MrNoitAll” I may be the only winner in the town cause our softball team sure ain’t a winnin!

6. Franklin County----(Fat Phil’s School) well I heard this at the card game Saturday night that these fine people in Franklin County have forgotten what it is to be winner in any sports….now I thought maybe they could get Fat Phil a job since he ain’t a workin no more….just a thought.

7. Cannon County----one year you are fightin for the district championship and the next you are fightin to stay out of the cellar!

8. Ensworth---if you have ever been to their campus you know it is one of the best in the state. Everything is first class except the softball team, good people but this ain’t know softball school!

9. Franklin Road Academy---has jumped into the top ten losers another private school with a nice campus but this school’s athletic program has gone down in the last several years. I have an idea that several reasons are behind this but hate startin rumors but there head man on campus is on the T$$AA board and you would think that he would want his teams a doin better.

10. Santa Fe Wildcats----A new member this year to our Top 10 Losers they did make the list last year and will probably be here for a very long time. A unique school and a nice community but softball is to little of a ball these folks luv their basketball.

:thumb:

Interesting summary of the state of softball at a lot of schools. Metro schools are not competitive and won't be. Lack of talent since softball is not something you just pick up and do well in without practice no matter how athletic you are. FRA had a good run in the past when they had a core of travel ball players and good pitching, but those days are behind them. Maybe they can get better if some students enroll there who play summer ball, but who can tell. Ensworth the same boat. Somebody told me a long time ago that schools like FRA, HH, and now Ensworth won't be competitive in softball because there are too few pick up trucks in the parking lot. I thought that was a novel way of putting it.

The schools that do well are in counties that have strong youth programs. I know that is not a profound statement, but I have observed a decline in the quality of the youth programs. Maybe more girls are gravitating to other sports.

Interesting summary of the state of softball at a lot of schools. Metro schools are not competitive and won't be. Lack of talent since softball is not something you just pick up and do well in without practice no matter how athletic you are. FRA had a good run in the past when they had a core of travel ball players and good pitching, but those days are behind them. Maybe they can get better if some students enroll there who play summer ball, but who can tell. Ensworth the same boat. Somebody told me a long time ago that schools like FRA, HH, and now Ensworth won't be competitive in softball because there are too few pick up trucks in the parking lot. I thought that was a novel way of putting it.

The schools that do well are in counties that have strong youth programs. I know that is not a profound statement, but I have observed a decline in the quality of the youth programs. Maybe more girls are gravitating to other sports.

The word in the park was that at one time the Metro area had a very good summer programs for all ages and that Ezell benefited from these programs as well as others. Now these programs are know longer around and the climate has changed and these schools are having problems winning and putting successful teams on the dirt. :D

Metro suffers from the fact that the two biggest summer programs in the past -- Shelby Park and Donelson Civitan -- both played slow pitch as late as 2007 and may still be, as far as I know. Gifted athletes that had no idea how to deal with fast pitch. Madison Park had fast pitch, but I don't know if there is even a program there anymore. The Crieve Hall park also used to have a great program. Between 2003-2007, Hume Fogg and Hunters Lane in Metro both went to the state and benefitted from having girls who played in the Hendersonville, Madison and Moss Wright/Goodlettsville leagues. They also played travel ball together for several years and took lessons. However, I don't know if any of these parks have strong programs anymore.