District 6AAA

tromo

First of all let me say that us Cookevillians do not judge all CC fans by one individual. I have several long-time friends from Manchester. However, I do believe that the decent people of Coffee County should steps to insure that the skum-bag is banned from future CC athletic events forever. Secondly, we have been told by some folks from CC that the lowlife who yelled the disgusting remark (more than once) is a Coffee County Commissioner. Could someone from Coffee County please confirm if that is true or not ?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was embarrassed for Coffee County's coaches last night. They have always seemed to be very classy and I can imagine nobody felt worse about what the nice, thoughtful, considerate old gentleman called one of the Cookeville kids than the Coffee Co. coaches. That gentleman did not represent a school or a county very well at all, but like you guys have said, you certainly can't judge the whole by one man. As for the game, it was well played and well coached on both sides, despite what Tromo might lead everyone who wasn't there to believe. Cookeville's pitching let them down a little bit, but I imagine Spurgeon will be ready to go on Monday when they travel to Soddy. Now, Mr. Tromo, I've been reading your crap on here for a while and I have successfully held my tongue until now. You are dogging Cookeville's catcher for not being able to hit or throw. The fact is that he threw out the only would-be base stealer of the night in the first inning and Coffee County didn't test him the rest of the night. No Coffee Co. runners advanced on passed balls. So he had a bad night at the plate? big deal, get over it. I bet the stats would show he's hitting well over the Mendoza Line, and from what I have seen from the home games that I've watched, he's driven in his fair share of runs from the middle of the lineup. As for your comment about hitting it to the third baseman, he made one error last night, on a barehanded play on a drag bunt, the toughest play in baseball. He didn't make any errors on any other plays of the three or four that i remember being hit to him. Let it go. Either be a fan of the team, a real one, or find another team where you actually like the catcher and third baseman. Dogging high school kids from behind a screen name is worse than the Coffee Co. grandfather calling a kid a derogatory name in front of hundreds of people, because at least he didn't try to hide. He let everyone know who he was and how he felt. There is never a correct way to dog a high school kid, especially as an adult, but at least he didn't try to hide his identity. Here's a better solution, just be silent. Your blood pressure will probably thank you.

I was embarrassed for Coffee County's coaches last night. They have always seemed to be very classy and I can imagine nobody felt worse about what the nice, thoughtful, considerate old gentleman called one of the Cookeville kids than the Coffee Co. coaches. That gentleman did not represent a school or a county very well at all, but like you guys have said, you certainly can't judge the whole by one man. As for the game, it was well played and well coached on both sides, despite what Tromo might lead everyone who wasn't there to believe. Cookeville's pitching let them down a little bit, but I imagine Spurgeon will be ready to go on Monday when they travel to Soddy. Now, Mr. Tromo, I've been reading your crap on here for a while and I have successfully held my tongue until now. You are dogging Cookeville's catcher for not being able to hit or throw. The fact is that he threw out the only would-be base stealer of the night in the first inning and Coffee County didn't test him the rest of the night. No Coffee Co. runners advanced on passed balls. So he had a bad night at the plate? big deal, get over it. I bet the stats would show he's hitting well over the Mendoza Line, and from what I have seen from the home games that I've watched, he's driven in his fair share of runs from the middle of the lineup. As for your comment about hitting it to the third baseman, he made one error last night, on a barehanded play on a drag bunt, the toughest play in baseball. He didn't make any errors on any other plays of the three or four that i remember being hit to him. Let it go. Either be a fan of the team, a real one, or find another team where you actually like the catcher and third baseman. Dogging high school kids from behind a screen name is worse than the Coffee Co. grandfather calling a kid a derogatory name in front of hundreds of people, because at least he didn't try to hide. He let everyone know who he was and how he felt. There is never a correct way to dog a high school kid, especially as an adult, but at least he didn't try to hide his identity. Here's a better solution, just be silent. Your blood pressure will probably thank you.

I do agree with your comments on Tromo. His comments are worthless and malicious. He would be far better served (we all would) if he remained silent. I also agree that it was a great game with both teams battling to the end. However, I strongly disagree with your comments on the "grandfather". He did attempt to hide. In fact, he moved behind the crowd and denied that he had said anything. I witnessed this personally. As petty and low as Tromo's comments are, you can in no way compare someone dogging a kid's baseball abilities to someone making derogatory comments targeted at a kid's racial heritage. If you really believe they are equal then you are just as twisted as the "grandfather" is!!

Not a attack just a question that was put to me today. By the way I was not a very good coach just a guy who gave of his time to try make the program better.

That's a lousy excuse, coach. You are well aware of the rules. Or at least I should hope so. Since you are an educator (making posts on my dollar) and a former coach. So I look at it as an attack if you are going to lay it out there on coacht.

I, too, was a bit embarrassed when I heard the comment last night. However, my wife was sitting close to the person who made the comment, and she had a completely different story about what happened. When the teams conducted the post game handshake, the first guy in Cookeville's line (a white player) refused to shake the hand of the first guy in Coffee County's line. Apparently, the person who is being accused of making racial remarks, said something like 'if I was his coach, I'd make him run poles". Followed up by saying he (the white kid) was acting like a monkey. A black player from Cookeville mistakenly thought the comment was directed at him and told his coach. Then, everyone got upset. My wife said that was the only such comment she heard. Some have indicated that the comment was made two or more times. If so, she didn't hear it. Maybe some of the posters just heard a comment out of context and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Cookeville has their own set of bad behavior that they need to get some control over. Every time we have played there the past two years, they've had some individuals harassing our players. Last year, they had a bunch of punks cursing and threatening our right fielder from beyond the right field fence. Some of our parents had to walk out there to put a stop to it. This year, there was another group that was harassing our first baseman from right beside Cookeville's dugout. If this were happening in Manchester, Coach Jones would put an end to it. Then, after the game, this same group came over to Coffee County's dugout area presumably looking to get into a fight with one or more of our players. They were waiting around right where the players would exit the field. Our parents and AD had to stick around to prevent something from happining. Cookeville's coach refused to allow Coffee County players to walk across the field and exit from the other side.

I, too, was a bit embarrassed when I heard the comment last night. However, my wife was sitting close to the person who made the comment, and she had a completely different story about what happened. When the teams conducted the post game handshake, the first guy in Cookeville's line (a white player) refused to shake the hand of the first guy in Coffee County's line. Apparently, the person who is being accused of making racial remarks, said something like 'if I was his coach, I'd make him run poles". Followed up by saying he (the white kid) was acting like a monkey. A black player from Cookeville mistakenly thought the comment was directed at him and told his coach. Then, everyone got upset. My wife said that was the only such comment she heard. Some have indicated that the comment was made two or more times. If so, she didn't hear it. Maybe some of the posters just heard a comment out of context and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Cookeville has their own set of bad behavior that they need to get some control over. Every time we have played there the past two years, they've had some individuals harassing our players. Last year, they had a bunch of punks cursing and threatening our right fielder from beyond the right field fence. Some of our parents had to walk out there to put a stop to it. This year, there was another group that was harassing our first baseman from right beside Cookeville's dugout. If this were happening in Manchester, Coach Jones would put an end to it. Then, after the game, this same group came over to Coffee County's dugout area presumably looking to get into a fight with one or more of our players. They were waiting around right where the players would exit the field. Our parents and AD had to stick around to prevent something from happining. Cookeville's coach refused to allow Coffee County players to walk across the field and exit from the other side.

This will be my last post on the subject but I could not let the above post go with out responding.

Your wife is right about one thing, one our of players did not shake the first CC players hand and that was very poor sportmanship on his part. After that point your wife's version looses touch with reality. The gentlemen who made the remark noticed that our player had not shaken hands and yelled F--k you #___ (called the kid's number) at that point another player on our team who happens to be black and was standing behind the kid who was yelled at, turned and looked at the guy who had yelled. At this point this fellow yells "F--k you too ya monkey" and proceeds to yell monkey again. This is not hear-say I heard it and saw him yell(I looked when I heard the first yelling). I did not see the part about our kid not shaking hands but some of our players told me that did happen and as I said that was poor sportsmanship on his part. None us in Cookeville judge CC fans by the actions of that one man but that one man has a definite problem so making excuses for him does not help anyone.

I do agree with you that kids should not be permitted to harass other team's players from outside the fence. I know this happens at Cookeville as it does at some other schools and is very poor sportmanship and should not be tolerated. I'm not sure who was yelling at your players last night but the boys that came over to your side after the game were not looking for your players but the "gentlemen" who made the monkey remarks.

As far as not letting your team exit out on our side, emotions were running way too high at that point for your boys to walk out right through our players. I'm sure you can understand why this would not have been a good idea at the time.

I'm sorry, but I'm sticking with my wife's version. Your version is the one that "looses" touch with reality. My wife isn't a big baseball fan and is quite unemotional about winning or losing...more interested in socializing with her lady friends. I think she was quite a bit closer to the alleged incident than you were. And if anyone, much less a grandparent, had yelled the "f" word, it would have been a hot topic of conversation on the ride home. Secondly, why would a grandparent, who is quite mild mannered, suddenly blow his top and yell the "f" word after we won the district championship? I have known him for several years, through hard fought wins and losses and have never heard him utter a cuss word of any kind, much less the "f" word (generally used by much younger generations). I don't know what you heard, or thought you heard, or who you thought said it. Thirdly, I was sitting 2 seats from a parent (not the grandparent), who yelled at the Cookeville player for not shaking hands. He called his number and sarcastically yelled "Now that's real sportsmanship #2!!!" These are two completely different people, and you are claiming you witnessed the same guy make both comments??? And, no, the parent didn't use the "f" word either. I was between these two guys (maybe 10 ft) and never heard what you claim. Funny thing...our radio broadcasters were sitting right beside the grandfather. I am quite certain the radio station would have been flooded with calls if anything like that were yelled.

Maybe one of our players or your players yelled the "f" word (wouldn't surprise me) about the same time as the other comments were being made, and you thought it was said by the grandfather.

Can a player play in a game and not attend school the same day as the game?

no they can't but its hard to prove it because attendence records can be rewritten

or unless your AD turns you in like mathis did too us about 5 years ago in soccer