Team Tennessee 5th grade and below

YOUTHCOACH16

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Sutherland and Jimmy Frederick are coaching this team. The members were chosen by taking the oldest state champions first and working our way down from there from a list of kids that signed up. Its hard to chose a team because its K-5th grade all on one team. There are a few state champs that arent on the team because they got beat during the year by a younger or older kid or lost challenge matches. If you have questions email me at msutherland16@aol.com

Why did I not get an answer to my last post, is it a secret or something. I was at Big Boy and Pee Wee state and watched alot of wrestling. I heard there is only 3 kids from the Mid State area that are on that team. Is this a Chattanooga team or is it filled with the best that Tennessee has to offer. How do we expect Tennessee to move forward in wrestling, when we are still treating our wrestlers like this. AAU needs to step in and handle this. They could start with having the coach of the year (that is voted on) coach the team. I know there are alot of 4th and some 3rd grade kids that can beat some 5th graders. So do whats right and send the best to compete for AAU and Tennessee.

I didnt answer your post because we have been trying to finalize the team. I have been begging people to wrestle in the weights we needed and had to go out of state to pick up one. We are open and welcome to ideas if you have a great way of picking a team that consists of four different age groups. I put my personal email on here for all to see if you have a question you can email me or you can call me anytime. The process for picking the team is very hard since its k-5th grade all on one team. I can assure you we tried our best to pick the best kids. Im pretty confident that we have had the best kids the past few years as evidenced by our success. As far as coaching the team we do have a coach of the year with Jimmy Frederick coaching as he was the south region coach of the year. There are also some coaches with tremendous sucess who are not elegible for coach of the year because they are on the Aau board. I personally had two wrestlers win the top 100 belts for their age groups this year with two more being the runner ups in the other age groups as well as having a couple of winners last year. It would be pretty hard to argue with those results and also the success of Team Tennessee last year. As far as I know nobody expressed an interest in coaching Team Tennessee because to be truthful I would have gladly handed you the reigns. Feel free to volunteer to help next year or head it up yourself. My phone # is 423 580 2739 if you want to pass along any ideas or have comoplaints or suggestions on who should be on the team. Its as fair as it possibly can be given the circumstances.

2010 Elementary Team Tennessee

40-Jaxon Quails- (East Ridge) 3rd in Tot state, won aau nationals. None of the top kids wanted to compete, last minute replacement

45- Jack Braman-(Tornado) Bantam state champ, Liberty nationals 3rd place, 3rd Aaau nationals

50-Jacob Brown-(East Ridge) Bantam state champ, Aau national champ

55-Trey Ashby -(Knox catholic) runner at 60 lb state, 5th at liberty, 5th at aau nationals at 60lbs. beat state champ in challenge match

55-alternate Noah Horst (Cleveland) state champ, 2009 liberty nationals outstanding wrestler

60-Ryan McEllhaney-(East Ridge) Novice state champ, Aau national champ

65- Jonah Bird- (Baylor)Novice state champ, Aau nationals 5th place

70-Colton Landers-(Baylor) Novice state champ and top 100 winner

75-Trevor Rippy- (Hendersonville)Midget state champ, Aau nationals champ(I believe) and beat Novice representative in challenge match

80-Mason Reiniche- (Soddy Daisy)Novice state champ even though he is a midget. one of the top wrestlers in the country. Read usa wrestling magazine for acomplishments

85-Christian Salter -(Sharp shooters)Midget state champ, 2nd at Aau Nationals , undefeated at Dixie Duals

90-Judah Duhme -(Tornado)Novice state champ- not sure of nationals placement

& Nathan Walling- (Mt Juliet)Novice runner up- not sure of nationals placement

95-Logan Fuson- (maryville) 3rd in Novice state, fist two place winners are too old

100-Austin Mathews (Bradley) 3rd in Novice state, state champ bumping up a weight

108-Colton McMahan (knoxville) 100 lb state champ

116-Truman Ross(Baylor) 3rd in state , first two place winners didnt want to wrestle

125- Patrick Ferguson (Virginia) we didnt have this weight in Tennessee and nobody in tennessee wanted to wrestle

135-Samuel McNelly (maryville) state champ novice

148- Nicholas Boykin (Sharp Shooters) state champ novice and multiple time all american

Hwt- Sammy Evans - ( Alcoa)Novice state champ and undefeated at dixie duals

Just an observation, there are 77 age / weight classes in AAU for State. Here is the breakdown of gold medals by region.

South – 32 – 42%

West – 26 – 34%

East – 14 – 10%

North – 5 - 6%

Of the 19 starting weight classes on Team Tennessee here is the breakdown

South – 9 – 47%

West – 4 – 21%

East – 3 – 16%

North – 2 -11%

Add Eli King to the team, who is wrestling for Team Georgia, and the numbers almost match.