TSSAA Umpires

chsbaseball

I say this to any to has anything to say about umpires...put on the blue shirt, do it once. Its looks easy and people think how can they miss a call. But humans make mistakes and people will just have to handle it.

I know it's not as easy as one might think, but when you see an ump who takes the bat out of someones hands and it changes the game entirely then it makes you wonder if they may have done it on purpose! And when you see an ump so drastically change his strike zone later in the game then it makes you wonder again. (After all, as you said, they are only human and sometims their biases are bound to come into play). Not all do this but you will have to admit that some do! Don't get bent out of shape unless you are one I am referring to!

I was not getting bent out of shape. I totally understand how someone strike zone changes, being consistent is the biggest part of high school ball since some are undertrained.

To the post about 130.00 for two games, their is a doubleheader fee and the umps only get 80.00 for the DH. Only time 130.00 happens is if their is DH and 4 teams play, no one team can play twice or its consider DH.

To the rules, hands are part of the bar and tie go to runners are some of the biggest myths of baseball that people tend to believe but are not true.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, like I said before, if you think $65/game is a lot of money, you're crazy.

You compare it to someone making $10/hour, that's laughable, I wouldn't work my regular job for twice that.

And lastly, if you think HS coaches know rules, you'd better think again. They don't. Many of them think hands are part of the bat, tie goes to the runner, etc.

Again, I said it's good money for what's being asked. I didn't say it was alot. But any job you can have that pays you an average of $20.00 an hour is good money. I'm not sure how loaded you are, but where I'm from, there are lots of people who would gladly take that salary. In fact, there are plenty who would be lucky to get a $10.00/hr job right now. I guess we are not as lucky as you.

Be good at what you do, that's it. Take pride in making the right call. Work as hard as the people trying to win a game.

This topic could go on forever! There are two sides and both have legitimate arguments. I don't care who you are, if an ump makes an OBVIOUSLY bad call, (and he will not change it, for whatever reason), then you are going to hear it from the fans! I'm not talking close calls here, umps usually will give back if they think they may have missed one. But, when a pitcher throws a ball that comes over the plate so low that a catcher brings up dirt when he catches it and the ump calls it "strike 3"! And, when someone throws a ball in from the outfield to the SS standing on the bag in a forced play and the runner is two steps from the base and he is called safe! Also, when your team is beating another team (that isn't use to getting beat, especially by your team) and that teams coach flips out and yells at the ump behind the plate, this ump said nothing and did nothing EXCEPT change his strike zone to where our pitcher is still looking for it, then it makes you wonder why! For the most part I believe that most umps are trying to call a game the best to their ability and are being fair. We have lost games to where we walked away knowing that we got beat or beat outselves, they are hard to take but you understand that is going to happen and maybe the players will benefit and work harder. But, when you leave a game frustrated by calls that took the game away from your team or in the least took away their momentum, then that is just plain difficult to overcome! Yeah, I know, that's baseball!!! It shouldn't be though!

Well, like I said before, if you think $65/game is a lot of money, you're crazy.

You compare it to someone making $10/hour, that's laughable, I wouldn't work my regular job for twice that.

And lastly, if you think HS coaches know rules, you'd better think again. They don't. Many of them think hands are part of the bat, tie goes to the runner, etc.

Again, I said it's good money for what's being asked. I didn't say it was alot. But any job you can have that pays you an average of $20.00 an hour is good money. I'm not sure how loaded you are, but where I'm from, there are lots of people who would gladly take that salary. In fact, there are plenty who would be lucky to get a $10.00/hr job right now. I guess we are not as lucky as you.

Be good at what you do, that's it. Take pride in making the right call. Work as hard as the people trying to win a game.

I agree 100%!

I think we can all agree that umpiring is a tough job, and yes they get paid and should take pride in doing a good jod. But what makes baseball so much fun to watch is that every strike/ball, every safe/out call, every pitch/hit, or defensive great play and errors are maginified (there's no one to hide behind). When an umpire, coach or kid makes a mistake the pace of the game is so slow that we as parents/fans can second guess and over analyze it to the death. And if you are a player you don't get many opportunities in a game to rectify a mistake.

But the only positions on the field that have some sense of control or flow of the game are the pitchers (#pitches/control), coaching (changes) and the plate umpire (strike zone). If the plate umpire is consistent with his strike zone, the kids (pitchers and hitters) will adjust, and yes he may still make a few bad calls (even the field umpire). But a good pitcher with good control can adjust to the locations that are favorable to the umpire's zone, even if the zone is tight or huge. And if the umpire is consistent with calling it, the good hitters/pitchers will make the adjustment whether they like the zone or not. It's when they become inconsistent with it that the players (hitters and pitching) get confused and upset. That's usually when they'll begin to hear the flack worse from the coaching and from the stands.

Ultimately, I don't care if you get paid or don't get paid, whether you are a umpire, coach or player, if you're on the field then at least act like you want to be there and put in the effort (and most do).

OK. This is easy enough. There is no accountability. There is no instant reply to fix mistakes. There is no deduction of pay when they mess up. Oh wait, there is no coach with the ability to eject an umpire. Therefore, the umpire has complete control of all situations, including what coaches can or can't say. Yes, I guess you could report an umpire for fraternizing with the opposing team that's getting more calls. You could let TSSAA know that he has missed more calls than he got right or the strike zone is bad. What good does that do? TSSAA is in need of umpires so he probably won't ever even hear that he had a complaint. It's a joke. It's like having a job with a boss that says you can do what you want too. TSSAA is the problem here not the umps. Until TSSAA gets things under control, these problems will pop up year after year!

OK. This is easy enough. There is no accountability. There is no instant reply to fix mistakes. There is no deduction of pay when they mess up. Oh wait, there is no coach with the ability to eject an umpire. Therefore, the umpire has complete control of all situations, including what coaches can or can't say. Yes, I guess you could report an umpire for fraternizing with the opposing team that's getting more calls. You could let TSSAA know that he has missed more calls than he got right or the strike zone is bad. What good does that do? TSSAA is in need of umpires so he probably won't ever even hear that he had a complaint. It's a joke. It's like having a job with a boss that says you can do what you want too. TSSAA is the problem here not the umps. Until TSSAA gets things under control, these problems will pop up year after year!

Lose a game that you shouldn't have because your team didn't play well? Sour grapes?

How many games have you watched this year?

And of all those games, how many of those have had the outcome determined by the umpires?

That's what I thought.

And contrary to what you say, umpires have absolutely no control over what coaches can and can't say. Just like i have no control over what you can and can't say, no matter how unintelligent it might be.

Coaches control what they say and how long they get to stay. Umpires don't eject coaches, coaches eject themselves.

How fun this is going to be. I have probably watched between 35-40 High school baseball and softball games this year. No I agree in most cases the umpire does not control the outcome. Only 3-5 may have had the outcome changed. That's only 10%. How many jobs allow you to be right only 90% of the time. Hmmmmm. None you get fired. I'm not blaming the umps for anything. I'm blaming TSSAA.

What irks me is when the umpire makes the zone wide and cause teams to start expanding their zone, striking out, or swinging at bad pitches. That speeds up the game drastically. Why? so he can get paid the same for less time. Now the better team will usually win the same, but it's not baseball or softball and it's not Fair to the kids.

As far as what the coach can or can't say. You are wrong. Most coaches are better than that and you know it. They will try to get their jabs in when they can't but they can't fuss about the calling. The umpires have their hands tied and you know it. There are some that don;t know when to quit and do it anyway and I say good for them. the rest just take it day in and day out knowing nothing wil ever be done!

I'll tell you what though. There have been a handful of games this year where the umpires have been outstanding. Always in position. Easy to communicate with. Win or lose, the games go by smoothly

I agree but didn't say that. If you look at my last post. I argued about the 10% of bad ones. But, I didn't brag on the 90% doing a good job.

Thanks to those of you who stay up to date on the rules, and are always trying to become a better official and making H.S. sports great.

How fun this is going to be. I have probably watched between 35-40 High school baseball and softball games this year. No I agree in most cases the umpire does not control the outcome. Only 3-5 may have had the outcome changed. That's only 10%. How many jobs allow you to be right only 90% of the time. Hmmmmm. None you get fired. I'm not blaming the umps for anything. I'm blaming TSSAA.

As far as what the coach can or can't say. You are wrong. Most coaches are better than that and you know it. They will try to get their jabs in when they can't but they can't fuss about the calling. The umpires have their hands tied and you know it. There are some that don;t know when to quit and do it anyway and I say good for them. the rest just take it day in and day out knowing nothing wil ever be done!

Out of 35-40 games you say 3-5 may have had the outcome changed by the umpire. Well did it or didn't it? With that fuzzy math you say in 10% of the games you have watched the team that should have won didn't because of the umpires. 10%...Wow...anybody who has been around this game at this level knows that is completely absurd.

Did you hear that sound of glass breaking? That was your credibility flying out the window. :popcorneater:

You are right...this is fun, and now it's over.

By the screen name and posts it's quite obvious on which side of the argument you are from. I once again have to say by your posts.

1. My credibility was disproved by you brilliance....Just like in a game you are always right!

2. You have been to and watched the same games as I and have not witnessed any bad calls.....You are a mastermind at baseball and softball rules and no one can argue against your perfection in making those decisions!

3. The word may is used to say that had the calls been correct the outcome would have been different.....Since MAY allows us to say that we will never know (because we won't).....You are also a literary genius and Webster's calls on you to verify the use of words in context of common language...I'm guessing that NFHS may call on you as well to verify confusing text in the rule book.

4. Lastly, you end with saying "Now, it's Over".....Meaning that you are right and your points can not be argue.

Looking at these 4 points! You must be an umpire. You are always right, Your decisions making skills are perfect, you are a literary interpreter of the NFHS rule book, your decision is final and can not be argued.

I'm done Mr. Umpire! You have more than over proved your point about your and all other umpires inability to ever make a mistake. Thanks for your help!