Bodenhamer resigns from Liberty Tech....

GCPioneer

I had been hearing on and off all summer about a middle school coach possibly getting the job but never believed it. I had heard nothing about Jarrett Jones until today.

This hire is baffling to me. I am a big fan of J Jones. He was the best player on the best Chester County team from probably the last 30 years. Jones can still ball and jump out of the gym...kid can get his elbow above the rim and he is only about a legit 5'10.

What Baffles me is the Liberty Job is one of the top AA jobs in the state and to turn the keys over to a 24 year old with no head coaching experience is what I don't get. Nobdody knows how well Jones may or may not be as a coach, to many unknowns. With this hire I see Liberty going through some struggles and eventually flamming out in post season. I think Jones will one day be a fantastic coach but to expect him to come in from the jump and think Liberty will not skip a beat is not practical. I don't think State is realistic at this point even though they will still have a ton of talent, led by Anthony and Barnett.

• Upvote 1

I had been hearing on and off all summer about a middle school coach possibly getting the job but never believed it. I had heard nothing about Jarrett Jones until today.

This hire is baffling to me. I am a big fan of J Jones. He was the best player on the best Chester County team from probably the last 30 years. Jones can still ball and jump out of the gym...kid can get his elbow above the rim and he is only about a legit 5'10.

What Baffles me is the Liberty Job is one of the top AA jobs in the state and to turn the keys over to a 24 year old with no head coaching experience is what I don't get. Nobdody knows how well Jones may or may not be as a coach, to many unknowns. With this hire I see Liberty going through some struggles and eventually flamming out in post season. I think Jones will one day be a fantastic coach but to expect him to come in from the jump and think Liberty will not skip a beat is not practical. I don't think State is realistic at this point even though they will still have a ton of talent, led by Anthony and Barnett.

Gutsy hire.......but then again, so was Dexter Wms a few years ago.

Gutsy hire.......but then again, so was Dexter Wms a few years ago.

Yea but when they hired Dexter no one had a clue what Liberty would become. Jackson was never even considered a tough place to play. Then Liberty opens and .... Well we all know.

I wish the guy luck. Like yankees said to expect him to come in and not have a hiccup is wishful thinking. He will probably take a few knocks early on.

Yea but when they hired Dexter no one had a clue what Liberty would become. Jackson was never even considered a tough place to play. Then Liberty opens and .... Well we all know.

I wish the guy luck. Like yankees said to expect him to come in and not have a hiccup is wishful thinking. He will probably take a few knocks early on.

According to the article they (LT) had over 100 applicants. Either he gave one heck of an interview, or had someone really pushing him that has strong ties there. Either way it is an unusual hire. That does not make it an incorrect hire, just unusual. Look what Brad Stevens has done at such a young age at Butler, so it can be done if he has the communication skills, worked hard at gaining a high level of knowledge other than just being a good player, and has a tremendous work ethic, along with being a good and fair disciplinarian. I wish him well. Liberty Tech is certainly set to be a powerhouse for years to come with the right leadership.

The more I think about this hire the more it seems to have to do with economics, especially in this economy. Madison County has three public High Schools and three head coaches.....my guess is that in the past they would have all be on equal footing as far as pay (depending on the teaching job)not sure what the coaching supplement is for each. I would bet anything J Jones is getting less that Fuller and Brown....I don't know that just a guess. I think this hire may have come down to economics.

This has nothing to do with the coach but did Liberty lose any basketball players.I'm having a couple Dyer Co buddies tell me they have a player that came from Liberty.So.don't know if it's a player from there..maybe someone that went to school there but didn't play..And they could be just messing with me because I live in Newbern but am always kidding them about getting players from all over.!

Other than last seniors, not that I'm aware of.

I was just wondering.Another buddy of mine said he thought the kid actually moved to Dyer Co last year and sat out.Said he thought he was about 6'1 and could really get up over the rim.I'll try to find out more.Dyer Co is becoming the hot bed for this area getting kids from Halls,Lake Co.,Gibson Co..I also heard Dyer Co was hiring a girls assisant coach,Tim Strayhorn.Not sure if they're going to actually put him on the payroll.He's coached AAU girls basketball in Dyersburg for a long time.Guess Dyer Co is wanting to get some of the younger girls that maybe he has influence to come to Dyer Co.If he's paid..don't think he could still coach AAU ball.And if he's not paid.really can't see why he would do it because he works at Dyersburg Electric,he went to Dyersburg and his daughter was a star player for the Trojans.Can't see him doing it unless he is being paid something.!