Alcoa at Maryville

AlcoaDad

This was really an exciting game to watch. The stands were full, people were sitting around the field in chairs and many people were sitting outside the fence on the top of the hill watching the game. It was Maryville's Senior Night.

Maryville scored twice in the first half. One was on a nice cross to someone running the back post and the other was off a PK.

In the second half Alcoa scored off a header in front of the Maryville keeper who had come out. The second goal was off a PK.

The game was very exciting with lots of chances for Maryville but the Alcoa defense played very well. I would tell you how well my son, the Alcoa Keeper played, but that would be too "homer" like and I am trying to just report the game! :thumb:

There was s long play stoppage in the second half as one of Maryville's players got hurt. They had to put a blow up cast on his leg and his parents drove onto the field and took him to the hospital. I wish him the best. Overall play was physical, but clean. It was a very well played match.

Before anyone comments on the PK calls, let me give you my take. I was with the Alcoa film crew at the endline where both fouls occured and I could not have been any closer to the plays and still have been off the field. Each was the type play where if the ref called the foul you would say, "Ok, I see that" or if he chose not to call the foul, you would be able to see that as well. He was consistent on the calls which is all you can ask.

I am sure that Maryville feels like they let one get away and that feels like a lose, especially on Senior night. At the same time, I am sure Alcoa feels like they got a win because the did not give up and mounted a great comeback to tie the game.

I am sure both coaches see where if only a few things had been different, they could have come away with the win.

A well played match and good for our sport.

Congrats to your son.

Bad night for Maryville. Dominated possession and had most of the chances but possession means nothing if you can't finish your chances. Sorry if my report sounds different and more negative than AlcoaDad but Maryville almost seemed bored with their possession and it made for a boring game. They eventually got caught up and Alcoa was able to counter well with nice set pieces. Hats off to Alcoa...they stayed focus and deserved to tie...not a word about the PK...goals are goals and there is no use complaining.

Injury report:

Caleb Lucas suffered concussion in the first half

Austin Pugh broke his leg and is out for the rest of the season

Good luck to Alcoa. They are a focused team and they played well tonight. Good luck to them at tourney time.

Ned:

I don't see you as being negative at all, we just have different perspectives and that is fine. I was afraid Austin had broken his leg and I hate that for him. He has had leg problems for years. I also wondered what happened to Caleb Lucas. He played for a number of years with my son and he is a dynamic talent. I hope he is not out for long.

Games like this are very unique because you know so many from each side. My son plays on the same club team with a number of the Maryville varsity starters and almost the entire JV starting team. I am the keeper coach for that club team so I have been around those Maryville players a great deal and they are all fine young men and have great parents. I know at times I found myself wanting a certain Maryville player to do well, then I would catch myself and remember they were playing against us.

Games like this is what makes soccer so fun for our family.

I wish Maryville all the best as they get ready for the post season.

Tried posting last night but it never would submit for some reason.

First off, Prayers go out to Caleb and Austin, I was really hoping it wasn't that bad. I hope he has a speedy recovery. As far as the match goes, Maryville had the better run of play throughout. They pinged the ball around us very well and we were forced to sit back and defend, then try to counter. I really hate playing that way, but we spent the first half chasing after them and they just really seemed to never have a poor touch. They first goal on the slotted ball was really nice. I was really impressed and felt we were fortunate to be down only 2 nil at half. I felt we played much "smarter" in the second half and even though Maryville continued to dominate possession we were able to counter more and defending much more organized. Maryville still had some good opportunities, but we were able to make the deflection or save on some. We really needed the deadball situations to get our goals to tie it up and then the last few minutes were pretty tense as maryville increased their pressure and intensity going forward. Glad this game was not any longer.

I do want to say I'm very proud of my guys for not giving up in the second half. It could have been very easy, but they decided to keep fighting through the cramps and some injuries. Well done lads!

Good Luck to the Rebels the rest of the way. I'd really hate to have to meet them in the playoffs!!!!