Coaching Vacancy in Rhea County! (long)

quaddad

Well the politics that is Rhea County has hit our Softball team. Our coach Brittney Hayes told the girls last week that she would not be their coach next season. From what she has told the girls and the parents, it was not her choice. It only choice she was given was to resign or be fired. I have heard this from more than one source, so I am assuming it is true. She is the only coach that has ever won a district championship in softball. She represents the school, the county, and her parents with nothing but class. I am proud to call her our coach and will miss her very much. The superintendent of Rhea County schools has told one parent that she did nothing unethical, or immoral to lose her job. The Principal told the girls, when they went to him with a petition to keep their coach, that it was not his call, and that he was more worried about Teachers than Coaches. This year she had a team that started four to five freshmen a game. They overachieved early, fell into a slump, and have let to come out of it. We play in a tough district, and take on all comers in our non-district, which does not do well for your overall record, but will only make the girls better. I have never seen her argue with an Umpire, nor have I seen one of our girls disrespect an Umpire during a game (it just kills me to she a girl shake her head after the Umpire calls a strike on her)

I have not lived in Rhea County too long, so I do not know the history of the school and county. I do know this; my Son played in a sport last year and after almost every game he came home complained about the officiating. The school had to go to the TSSAA in order to keep on playing that year because the JV coach pulled the team off the field after some “bad calls” and thus had to forfeit the game. The Varsity coach was confined to the dugout in at least one game last year, and has had quotes in the local paper where he has criticized the officials. They have not won very many games ether but he still has his job. Blaming the officials is a cop out!! I have always told my children, and the players I coach that I have never seen an official lose a game. Yes I have seen blown calls, and have voiced my displeasure to a certain extent, but unless you play a perfect game (I have not seen one of these ether) than one call did not beat you. My son did not play for him this year.

I could give you a lot more examples of this type of behavior in Rhea County coaches, but do not want to boar you more than I already have. I do not want these people fired ether, but how do you judge your coach anyway? If it is wins and loses then we would be looking for a lot more than a Softball coach next year!! It most not be teaching your players to do the right thing on the field, and to carry yourself with class on and off the field.

I am sure that the new coach will be one of the good old boys, or a relative of the Principal or school Superintendent. They will take over a team that only loses three starters, and has a bright future. I told Brook Ward’s grandfather last week that if we had one stud pitcher we would be a force in the Chattanooga area, and in the state. There is a girl from Rhea County that fit that bill, but her family decided to send her to a private school in Chattanooga. Now I see why!

I know that I represent the options of the majority of the Rhea County parents. I cannot do justice to coach Hayes, because of my lack of writing ability. I will tell you that you and Coach Copeland are loved, and will be dearly missed. I cannot express in words my appreciation for your hard work and help in developing my daughter. The next three years will be empty without you.

I know Too long, sorry had to get off my chest.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still scratching my head over this one. It's a tough situation to lose Coach Hayes. She is a good coach and the next school she coaches at will be lucky to have her. I have been around Rhea Co. athletics since I was very little, so It's not too surprising to me. Politics has always been a part of Rhea Co. softball and probably will always will be. Rhea Co. hasn't been able to keep a softball coach around for an extended period of time regardless of how good or bad the coach was. Now as for a solid reason to why. I don't know yet, but I will probably find out when I get back from college and for spring football in couple days. The reason could be teaching related, either way I'm interested to hear the reason. Now I'm good friends with almost every coach at the school and all of them are good people. Yes some do have their moments, but I don't hold it against them. Levengood is the one who makes the calls on personnel so I would contact him. Now if what I did hear is true, it isn't a good ole boy or a relative, but I'm not going to say much more until I know a little more.

Thanks Rhea Co. for the reply. BTW Levengood was contacted and tried to say she resigned, which is a half truth since she did not have a choice. Rhea County has shown us over and over that they do not support their girls sports, even though Softball has been the most successful, besides maybe Track. When you have a Freshman Daughter as I do, and have been looking forward to this group of girls to come up and see how far they can go over their four years it is a kick in the gut when something like this happens.

I agree about the other coaches for the most part. They are good people, but sometimes let their emotion get the best of them. But there are a couple that think they are God’s gift to coaching. They do not win, point the fingers at their players, make the same stupid decisions, and blame their players because they do not know everything when they come to high school. Sorry I rambled again.

We could end up with a very good coach when all is said and done, however the way everyone is being so tightlipped about it makes me worry. In addition, I do not care if the next coach can walk on water they still did Coach Hayes wrong.

This is the first I have heard concerning this situation. I do not know details nor do I care to. However, as one of her coaching peers, I have the utmost respect for her and have enjoyed coaching against her the last few years. She has represented Rhea County with class and has put great teams on the field. I wish you the best Britt, it shouldn't be too hard to find a system that will appreciate you for your abilities on the diamond. God Bless, friend.

Hey I know Indian I was just trying to make a piont. Do not know how that would have worked out and never will. She left a school where she lead the Chattanooga area in strikeouts but had a .500 record. Don't know but sounds like she did not get much support while there.

Thanks coach, just wanted to say that I have always admired your teams, and your passion for the game. Your teams, both in Middle and High school, are always well prepared and well coached. Good luck in the future.

Thanks, I have been blessed with great kids and a great administration.

She will be missed, seems she was a favorite.

Well I really dont know a lot about your school since you are up in the East but here is something that my daddy told me a long time ago. Most coaches are hired to be fired.....not many coaches stay around very long cause there are to many people who know more than them. Yep we can name a few coaches who have been at a school a long time but again there are more who have not. Here are some coaches who have been there since the bein of dirt. SD, Tullahoma, Lipscomb, Ezell, Hippie School,Hendersonville, Greenbrier," Fiddlers School", White House, Goodpasture, Creek Wood, Fairview, "Football School, "Mule School", Waverly, Hunters Lane, McGavock are just a few, now here are few who have not: Cumberland County, Cookeville, Livingston, York, Page, Brentwood, Spring Hill, Independence, Clarksville Northwest, Clarksville Northeast,Henry County, Giles County, Marshall County, Macon County, Friendship Christian, Gordonsville, Cannon County, Station Camp, Beech, Cascade, Harpeth, Overton, Springfield, MLK, Moore County, Springfield, Wilson Central, Franklin County, Stone Memorial, just mentionin a few.

There is always goin to be a changin goin on at schools, some are good some are bad but always remember that the board will always win out over you parents and the sad thing it could be wrong but again it may be the best thin to ever happen to a school. Just remember dont worry about somethin you cant control cause it aint goin to help you one bit by a worrin! Just stop the talkin and vote out the folks that you think aint doin a good job! :blush: