Is Soddy Daisy really that good

BigFanTN

For a team that is ranked 13th nationally, surely they have a plethora of young tallented girls that will go on to nationally ranked Div 1 programs? Are any going to any of the SEC schools? Have they ever had anyone within the past 10 years that has gone on to play a significant role in a school other than UTC,TW, etc? I hardly feel that the current arbitrary ranking holds any weight and should not be mentioned in the Times Free Press again as they are so fond of doing, unless you have the history to back it up.....just a thought. :lol:
Clifford Kirk.......what more can I say? Even his own players would not throw him a life vest if he was drowning! Back to my original premiss..building young ladies that will move on to greatness in sports and in life, isn't that our real mission?

Before you bash me bigfantn for just having two posts I am a newbie on this site. I will also try to use correct grammar as this seems to annoy you. As for the two quotes posted above, I will respond to the first by enlightening you to the fact that Clifford Kirk has coached six Soddy Daisy Teams to state titles and two Hixson teams to state titles. This is not the only Soddy Daisy team he has coached that has received such attention from national ranking entities. If you would do a little research, you would see his program is rich in winning tradition and national recognition by such entities..... just a thought. No matter the weight you place in these national rankings, it is still nice to have the team noticed by the local newspaper, as I would expect is part of their job. On to players receiving scholarships from top programs; I feel as though any player receiving a scholarship from any college, is a blessing and honor. I don't know if you realized it, but his three seniors going to Wesleyan graduated with very high GPA's. If memory serves me correct, one has a 4.0. Not too shabby in my opinion. Quote two response..... I am sure throughout the years there have been many players that adored Clifford, some who tolerated him, and some who could not stand him, but they all probably respected him and the effort he puts in coaching on a daily basis. This theory might be verified by the fact he gets so much out of his players and the support of his parents along with the Soddy Daisy Community. He would probably drown from being bombarded with too many life vests. If you are a coach or would like to be a coach, you might ask him to teach you how he accomplishes this considering all of the different personalities you have on a girl's softball team. Just a thought.... :D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can assure you I know several past and present players that wouldn't throw out a vest. I guess the rest of us should just be in awe when we step out on the field with them... :lol: Lets just go ahead and crown em now and forget the formalities of the remaining games, the rest of us are so unworthy of your tremondous talent, we just hope you don't beat us down with those ball crushing bats...I am sure Cliff would never allow an illegal one, it may tarnish his pristine reputation.

Even loaded bats must arrive at the ball correctly during a swing to be effective. The best answer was penned in the article below from an outstanding coach and gentleman that knows softball.

TheCityPaper

Preps: Three feet has made a world of difference this softball season

Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 2:19pm

By Harold Huggins

Three feet – one measly yard – has made a significant difference this season in high school girls softball.

That’s the opinion of many, including veteran Ezell-Harding coach Don Freudenthal, whose teams have won 12 state championships and who recently won his 700th career game.

Per a new national rule implemented before the season started, the distance of the pitching rubber to home plate for girls softball was moved from 40 feet back to 43.

“It has really changed the game,” Freudenthal said. “I’ve always felt that games were won on the basis of pitching and defense, because of the dominance a team could have with a good pitcher. But that’s changed, and hitting has come more into the equation.

“I’ve noticed that scores of games have been significantly higher than last year’s and previous years, and I think that’s directly because the mound is further back.”

The top pitchers are still that – top pitchers, Freudenthal said.

“The really good ones like Holly Hockaday at Davidson Academy and the pitcher at Soddy Daisy (Kelsey Nunley) are still having success because they are outstanding pitchers and have enough power to get their stuff past hitters,” he said. “Some good pitchers, who don’t throw that much heat, are having a bit more trouble, because the hitters have slightly more time to adjust their swing.

“Our pitcher, Caylee Bobo, is very good, but she’s not someone who can overpower you. If she makes a mistake or gets a pitch up too much, it’s going to get hit.”

Even loaded bats must arrive at the ball correctly during a swing to be effective. The best answer was penned in the article below from an outstanding coach and gentleman that knows softball.

At least you aren't denying using, ok we will use "loaded" bats...is this what the state pays you to do...what class is this?

Please elaborate, Batman. If you can't, you're just making yourself look jealous, petty and foolish. I've seen SD get plenty of favorable calls on balls and strikes in their own tournament, but I can't see even "Clifford's Umps" (whoever they are) risking player injury-and their jobs-by purposely allowing illegal bats. Maybe you're saying they sneak them in during a game. What exactly are you trying to say, just put it all out.

Loaded bats come from the manufacturer with the weight distributed either at the handle or at barrel per design specifications. The bats Soddy Daisy players use come from mainly Rocket Tech or Easton factories meeting all TSSAA requirements. This means they (the bats) are not illegal; the bats meet the standards set forth by the states governing body. I apologies for not writing clearly for you to understand my last post where I meant the players not the bats are the reason for Soddy Daisy’s success at the plate.

Please elaborate, Batman. If you can't, you're just making yourself look jealous, petty and foolish. I've seen SD get plenty of favorable calls on balls and strikes in their own tournament, but I can't see even "Clifford's Umps" (whoever they are) risking player injury-and their jobs-by purposely allowing illegal bats. Maybe you're saying they sneak them in during a game. What exactly are you trying to say, just put it all out.

All of us here know all of these players, just like you, we see them play in the summer time and this is the onlyh high school program I have heard of that didn't kill most summer ball players batting averages, kids hitting 200 higher here than in summerball...if it is only the coach that is doing that then he needs a college job making the real money....as for pitchers...summerball era's and Ws & Ls vs. these era's and Ws & Ls.....not even close happening more than in tournaments knowing what we know

So Cliff is concerned about his player's safety? I watched a SD game earlier this year when a foul ball hit the SD catcher hard in the thigh. She was a tough kid however went down crying with an obvious injury. Well after an eternity of 'non-reaction' from the Soddy coaches, the trainer for the other school went out to check on the injury. She was obviously hurt however stayed in the game. Well just before the game resumed, the SD coach finally came out of the duggout...not to check on his catcher, but only to argue the foul ball! What a jackass. If that was my daughter..... Other than that, I think he really cares for "his" girls. :lol::lol:

I think it's time to name the new field for Clifford and usher him out.

Wow, there sure are a lot of critics out here! I am a Soddy Daisy resident and played softball 29 years back when Sam Mills was coach. A lot of things have changed since those days. I don't remember seeing all the negativity about girls who work hard, make good grades and try their very best. Something is wrong with parents and students who try to see the bad things rather than focus on the good.

I have been a Lady Trojans fan for a very long time and I have seen some of the good and bad teams pass through this school. I have no connection with any of the players/parents on this team other than I am a Soddy Daisy Lady Trojans fan. I believe Clifford Kirk to be one of the best coaches in the area. All you have to do is look at his record, and quite frankly my friends that stands for itself. As far as these girls not saving him if he were drowning, I believe if you were to take a poll, NOT ONE of the girls on his team would throw him under the boat. That I can promise you.

You have 3 seniors who signed with Tennessee Wesleyen this year. They have played ball from what I understand since they were very young girls. If they want to carry that talent to a school within an hour of their hometown, then that is their choice. I don't blame them. Going to college is a big step and an education so important. Look at the Wesleyen statistics, merit not gossip my friends.

You have Brooke Ward, who I think has a 4.0 grade point average. She is obviously a top notch student who was also crowned Miss Soddy Daisy this year. Obviously she has a great personality and her peers think very highly of her.

You have Brandi Lasley. This kid is nothing short of amazing. She has a high grade point average dont quote me but I think it is in the 3.8 range and scored amazing on her ACT test. She is friendly, always has a smile on her face and is another great role model to the girls on her team.

You have Taylor Wilson. She is the catcher for Soddy Daisy. She also has had an amazing year even after the loss of her father in December. This was something that has to be hard for her since she understands how her dad loved to watch her play ball. Taylor also has diabetes and sometimes has difficulty with her levels as I have watched her mother scramble to make sure she is okay. She is a wonderful young girl and also a great role model.

I would suggest before posting negatives about these kids you take a look into your own mirror and decide what you would want other people posting about your kids. Can they stand up to the scrutiny these young girls have? Probably not, look at what their parents have posted in a negative way about children they know absolutely nothing about.

I wish the Lady Trojans a continued wonderful season and I hope to see you in the state championship!

Wow, there sure are a lot of critics out here! I am a Soddy Daisy resident and played softball 29 years back when Sam Mills was coach. A lot of things have changed since those days. I don't remember seeing all the negativity about girls who work hard, make good grades and try their very best. Something is wrong with parents and students who try to see the bad things rather than focus on the good.

I have been a Lady Trojans fan for a very long time and I have seen some of the good and bad teams pass through this school. I have no connection with any of the players/parents on this team other than I am a Soddy Daisy Lady Trojans fan. I believe Clifford Kirk to be one of the best coaches in the area. All you have to do is look at his record, and quite frankly my friends that stands for itself. As far as these girls not saving him if he were drowning, I believe if you were to take a poll, NOT ONE of the girls on his team would throw him under the boat. That I can promise you.

You have 3 seniors who signed with Tennessee Wesleyen this year. They have played ball from what I understand since they were very young girls. If they want to carry that talent to a school within an hour of their hometown, then that is their choice. I don't blame them. Going to college is a big step and an education so important. Look at the Wesleyen statistics, merit not gossip my friends.

You have Brooke Ward, who I think has a 4.0 grade point average. She is obviously a top notch student who was also crowned Miss Soddy Daisy this year. Obviously she has a great personality and her peers think very highly of her.

You have Brandi Lasley. This kid is nothing short of amazing. She has a high grade point average dont quote me but I think it is in the 3.8 range and scored amazing on her ACT test. She is friendly, always has a smile on her face and is another great role model to the girls on her team.

You have Taylor Wilson. She is the catcher for Soddy Daisy. She also has had an amazing year even after the loss of her father in December. This was something that has to be hard for her since she understands how her dad loved to watch her play ball. Taylor also has diabetes and sometimes has difficulty with her levels as I have watched her mother scramble to make sure she is okay. She is a wonderful young girl and also a great role model.

I would suggest before posting negatives about these kids you take a look into your own mirror and decide what you would want other people posting about your kids. Can they stand up to the scrutiny these young girls have? Probably not, look at what their parents have posted in a negative way about children they know absolutely nothing about.

I wish the Lady Trojans a continued wonderful season and I hope to see you in the state championship!

WELL SAID good luck SD