Who's next? Macon Co. Head Football Coach

The Wing T is a great offense and it's greatest attribute is probably the fact that it is so simple and easy to learn for kids at the high school level. You can run the trap, lead iso, jet sweep, rocket sweep, and of course good ole sally. I know that it's a lot simpler to run than that A-11 nonsense that the Tigers were running a couple of years ago or that spread stuff that they've been running. If Pemberton is bringing 2 coaches with him (I am sure Smith is 1 of the 2 and will be the DC) then the Tigers are going to have good all around coaching at every position. I know that while at Knoxville Catholic the defense was always fast to the football and physical once they got there.

Macon County fans have a lot to look forward to this upcoming season. Playing Trousdale County & Goodpasture early will get them experience against quality foes but around the midway point I suspect them to be vastly improved and maybe even challenge for the postseason in the second half of the season. They play Greenbrier, White House, & Westmoreland later in the season which means that in the first half of the season, excluding Godpasture, the only key game on the entire schedule as far as the district goes is the matchup with Sycamore. If memory serves me correctly that was a one-point contest last year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to admit...when I heard a couple of weeks ago that Macon County was going to hire Mark Pemberton, I horse-laughed at the guy that told me that. For two reasons 1) hard to see Pemberton coaching at a place like Macon County where they have so many political issues and 2) because he could probably take a better job (because of his reputation, resume and coaching abilities) where he could win more frequently at rather than in Lafayette. However, on the other hand, it is cool to see those kids get the opportunity that they are about to get, and that is to be coached up by a very good coach.

I know Coach Pemberton very well. I played for him for two years my junior and senior years where he was the offensive coordinator and was also my position coach. He is a great coach to say the least. He is stern but fair. He can teach the game of football, as well as lessons used in life. He is a winner.

If the people in Macon County let his guy run their football program like he knows how, they will be a contender right away and will stay that way as long as the kids can handle his style. I know I hope he wins when he doesn't play the team I watch, and I have never wanted Macon County to win.

Fact: Macon County very well may lose the title "one year wonders" after a couple of seasons under Pemberton.

I heard that Macon is going to the wing-t, which has to be better than throwing every play. Will that be hard for the boys to learn in one year? Im just curious on peoples thoughts on that... :huh:

the wing t is easy to learn, but hard to perfect. the blocking scheme is relativly simple. one of the reasons we (tc) ran it so well in the 90's was do to the fact that we began learning it in jr. high. we'd start with roughly 4 to 5 plays and by the time we got to highschool they were as natural as walking.

It was actually easier than that when I was playing jr. high in the 80's because we only had two plays we always called. Monkey left and monkey right. I ain't joking. Man we did not win one game when I was in seventh grade. :huh:

I got to admit...when I heard a couple of weeks ago that Macon County was going to hire Mark Pemberton, I horse-laughed at the guy that told me that. For two reasons 1) hard to see Pemberton coaching at a place like Macon County where they have so many political issues and 2) because he could probably take a better job (because of his reputation, resume and coaching abilities) where he could win more frequently at rather than in Lafayette. However, on the other hand, it is cool to see those kids get the opportunity that they are about to get, and that is to be coached up by a very good coach.

I know Coach Pemberton very well. I played for him for two years my junior and senior years where he was the offensive coordinator and was also my position coach. He is a great coach to say the least. He is stern but fair. He can teach the game of football, as well as lessons used in life. He is a winner.

If the people in Macon County let his guy run their football program like he knows how, they will be a contender right away and will stay that way as long as the kids can handle his style. I know I hope he wins when he doesn't play the team I watch, and I have never wanted Macon County to win.

Fact: Macon County very well may lose the title "one year wonders" after a couple of seasons under Pemberton.

Yes!!! Then we can bestow upon them the moniker of "Two Year Wonders". :huh: Just kidding. :huh: But hey, It's a start. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
I heard that Macon is going to the wing-t, which has to be better than throwing every play. Will that be hard for the boys to learn in one year? Im just curious on peoples thoughts on that... :lol:

Geo, how is the wing t workin' out? Ya seen them practice any? :roflolk:

no but should hear something soon.... :lol: