Seymour Girls Job

smokeybears55

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw their last game against Morristown East. They only started one senior. That was the toughest district around and while they did lose in the first round, it was the 4-5 game on the road and they lost in the last few seconds. They were 18-10 this year counting two HOF wins. Whether it's 3 or 4 starters, they still should be better.

Hey I hope they win every game! But the fact remains they lost around 40% of their scoring and 3 seniors that played a lot, 2 starting 95% of the games. They still don't have a player over 5'7". They beat Catholic twice, South Doyle twice, and Cherokee twice. That's a third of their wins. Mo East and West will be down from last year but everyone else on their schedule will probably be better than last year.

They also beat William Blount, Halls, Cocke County, Jefferson County, Morristown East, Pigeon Forge, Sevier County, Powell, Heritage, Alcoa, Gibbs, and Anderson County...they beat every team in their conference except west at least once and were 8-6 in their district, which was one of the best around last year. If they have three starters back from that team, they should be better.

First of all I would like to start by thanking all the whining parents who created all this drama by insisting Andy be let go. I understand some were not happy with his performance but no one seemed to stop and consider the big picture... the "then what?". So while other teams have been working out, planning summer camps, practices etc., we have been left hanging. The saddest part to all this is there is an amazing group of rising freshman who have played together for over 5 years and have a proven track record that are now having to suffer due to the selfish motives of others. Whats even sadder for Seymour is some of these girls are not beyond moving schools at this point which would serve Seymour right. Let them lose some of their better players to Pigeon Forge, Sevierville or Knox. This new group has worked way too hard to get to this point in their game to be thrown into an unknown situation. It makes me sick to see the political control that certain parents in the community have. Seymour has always been all about the politics.

I am not taking anything away from Brandi, dont know her personally but I can tell you there will be people that wont like her too. You'll never find a coach that makes everyone happy. Welcome to the world of competitive basketball people.... you're gonna have to get thicker skin about your kids and be happy they are even part of a team where they can work out and get better. There are alot of girls who would love to have the chance to sit on that bench!

Its all just a sad thing... the drama in basketball never ceases to amaze me.

It is pretty sad if it's true he was let go. If my numbers are right, they won 39-40 games in two years and won a region championship, and he is still there is a teacher as far as I know so there is obviously nothing bad going on.

I haven't talked to him personally, but one of my friends has and between what he is doing with AAU and with the Travelers in the new Nike league, he could care less.

I don't know what happened down there, but I just know how all the other coaches in this area think really highly of him. If he left on his own, good for him. If he didn't, that's pretty sad.

It was no secret in Seymour that there were two or three parents that complained on him. The rumors were he was given an ultimatum that he could either step down from the coaching position or lose both the coaching and his teaching position. I can also tell you that one of the parents went as far as to slash his tires. Whats concerning to me is the school system chose to listen to parents that would slash someone's tires. I am a parent of one of the rising freshman. I dont know Andy personally but what I do know is he showed up to watch numerous games of the girls he would be getting in the fall. He was very supportive, had a great interest and looking very forward to the rising freshman. I have also seen him in numerous practices on the court being a very active participant in scrimmages. I was quite impressed and have heard nothing but good from other people in the basketball community. Most all liked him.

I heard about the tire slashing and everyone I've talked to confirms that's true. Sad state of affairs there. From others in the basketball community, he's very well-respected professionally and everybody likes him personally. If they would listen to parents like that he's better off anyway.

Seymour is getting an excellant coach. She has a ton of experience, both as a player and as an assistant coach. She does a excellant job of coaching up her talent, and has done a great job in AAU. But be prepared, she is firm, but fair. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is her way or the highway, but she won't take much stuff from a player or a parent. She played for a coach who wouldn't take advice form parents, so I doubt she will.

With her contacts, she will quickly catch up on the "camps" and practices situation. Good luck Brandi!