Coach Reese of Red Bank resigns!

pigpen874

Best Post I've EVER read on Coacht.com!

Man, I get on here every once in a while and read some of the stupid comments made by parents. I read their ignorant comments, laugh about it, and go on. However, I felt compelled to make my first post on coacht in about four years. Let me fill you guys in on a little secret: high school coaches want to WIN! This ol mess about "politics, connections, who's kin to who" is sickening to read. I have coached baseball for several years in this state and have been accused of the same mess, and I can promise you it never had any merit. I have been accused of playing certain kids because they go to church with me when I have actually CUT more kids that I go to church with than have made the team - let alone started. Think it is easy walking into church on sunday morning knowing that "Billy Bob's" mom and dad aren't even going to look at you because you "cheated" their kid. It's not easy, but doing the right thing is better than keeping a kid on the team because you go to church with them. I have also been accused of only starting players who parents worked with me at the high school while I have actually (once again) cut fellow co-workers kids. Think that is easy? It's not....it stinks because you are face to face with that person quite a bit. Once again, you cut the kid because it is the right thing to do.

Here is something for some of you critical parents or fans to think about. If you are one of these that is complaining that your kid SHOULD be playing, he is not very good to start with! If he was a legit ball player, he would be on the field. Now, there are some elite programs in this state where they have an extremely deep talent pool, but the majority of schools don't have more than nine guys who can legitimately play - I promise. Most have 2-4 guys who can play, 3-4 who are very average, and most are even playing a couple below average kids because they have to. I understand that everything is relative and your actual knowledge of the game and/or your ability to evaluate a kid is not very good. Having played four years of quality college baseball gives someone like me and many of my fellow coaches quite a bit of an advantage as to who can "PLAY". My advice is to trust the coach's decision because 999 out of 1000, he has a much better idea of what's best for his team than you do.

Last point....if I am a parent of a kid that wants to be on the field, I tell him that the only way to consistently be on the field is to be a "no doubter". Leave no doubt in everyone's mind (coaches, teammates, opposing coaches, college coaches, parents, etc.) as to the fact that he should always be on the field every day! I realize that not every kid can be that guy, so if he is not, then you as a parent should be supportive and tell him to keep working hard. Face it -- not everyone can be the best!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broadbat, You ever taught Economics? When I was in high school, we called it "Sleepenomics." If Bumper makes the topic interesting, what is wrong with that?

Back to Baseball, who is the best coach in the history of Red Bank High? All due respect to the late Joel Brewster and to the former coaches Bobby Milam, Bill Price, and Jack Coppinger, but ... It's a 'no brainer' in the last 25-30 years ... Bumper Reese is the best RB Coach in that time span (I'm not old enough to go prior to the late '70's/early '80's). He is also one of the best in the area in that same time span.

="broadbat"]Now that Bumper's officially been named baseball coach at Signal, it is, like the Chatta. paper said, a "win win."

Bumper is going, and taking his sons to an all-white school, and will coach against smaller, less powerful schools than he had to at RB. So he gets everything he wants. And the kids at Signal will get an easy economics "teacher" who will talk sports in class. They will love that. Signal has some tough teachers, so those students will need an easy class once a day.

And Red Bank will have a chance to hire a coach who will clean up its baseball program, and maybe finally go to the state. Congrats to all !

Now that Bumper's officially been named baseball coach at Signal, it is, like the Chatta. paper said, a "win win."

Bumper is going, and taking his sons to an all-white school, and will coach against smaller, less powerful schools than he had to at RB. So he gets everything he wants. And the kids at Signal will get an easy economics "teacher" who will talk sports in class. They will love that. Signal has some tough teachers, so those students will need an easy class once a day.

And Red Bank will have a chance to hire a coach who will clean up its baseball program, and maybe finally go to the state. Congrats to all !

There's a good chance they'll be Class AA the year after this upcoming season. You can jump after two years of a classification period, if the school has grown 20 percent from the original submitted enrollment. That's if SM doesn't "cook the books" to stay Class A. :roflol:

I'd say they would be in the district with Grundy, Bledsoe, CCS, Sequatchie, Notre Dame since in Class A they were placed with South Pittsburg, Whitwell, etc.