BIG 8 IN 2010/2011

wkktnvolsfan

NAIA and DII schools cost between 26K and 40K. Let's take 33K as a medium. Let's say you get a whopping 20K which is unheard of...then mom and dad are left to pay 13K. That would be 13K x 4 years. Somebody want to add that up. And you won't get your degree in 4 years. And you ain't gonna get 20K. Some scholarship...at the great academia institution of Pikeville. Oh, and pray you don't get hurt. ETSU costs 8.5K. Before the HOPE. Before academic money. You don't go DI and get a full ride...maybe you should save mom and dad some cash and be realistic and get a good education at home. The Express, on the other hand, in the past 4 years has only put one girl in DII. That would be Whitney Moody/Sullivan Central/Carson Newman. The rest have gone DI. With full rides...by the way. I have heard good things about Myers though. And I wish the best for Lindholm and her teammates. Truly, I wish the best for all the girls. But I would like to be clear on one thing...The Express has a reputation...and that reputation is built on results. VI or no VI, the Express will continue to roll.

I will speak for Gilliam from Volunteer, since I am her mom and know the facts.

No, Coach Myers did not help her one bit to receive a basketball scholarship, she did it all on her own by playing travel ball and exposure tournaments. It really comes down to the player and what they want to do. Some, like my daughter really wanted to play in NAIA and no shame to any girl that wants to go that route. She knew in Div I that she would only be a practice dummy and she also looked at herself and knew where her level would be. She did bring in 5 college coaches this past season to the gym at VHS and one Kentucky recruiter for various schools. These coaches saw her in exposure events and the biggest from last summer in Louisville, KY at the Blue Chip where she made the All-Star team. And like Hoopallday states, there were over 150+ in attendance. She received many letters this past year from D1, D2, D3, and NAIA, which anyone will tell you doesn't mean jack, because chances are they sent the same letter to 50 other girls. It is constantly working to improve your game. I do believe that a girl does need to be in travel ball and at exposure events to be seen in this era.

Now, why she chose Pikeville, truly the best offer. She narrowed it down to Pikeville, UVA-Wise, and Union in Ky. Loved all 3 schools, but had a gut feeling about UVA-Wise coach that he would leave by her Freshman year (and he resigned last week), loved Union because she could tell the coach was all disciplined, but it was pricey. It came down to the money $'s with Pikeville giving her the best scholarship of all with basketball and academic money and it is the cheapest private school at only $20,000 total a year. Now, the government thinks we're rich, so no financial aid for her, but if she was eligible then she probably would be able to go totally paid, but what minimum it is turning out to be, it will not be a hardship. Also, a big thanks to former coach Todd Whittemore who made the call to the Pikeville coach when he found out she was going for a visit and he truly got her the $'s.

Comp, you might be happy when the times comes that your daughter might have to go NAIA, no shame in it at all. VI is getting in my opinion one of the best guards in the state with Fanney. She and my daughter along with another VI player in Orrick played travel together and are outstanding players and show how hard it is out there when it comes down to it. Heck, Fanney was even All-State tournament team. But, Laiken is very proud to become a Lady Bear and she is also looking forward to play in the first team of the Rocky Top League that starts next week in Knoxville and having a Lady Vol on her team too.

Hoop, she really appreciated you checking on her a few months ago too, she has a lot of respect for you too.

Thanks for your side of the facts. Good to hear people that have gone through this first hand. It is very hard in this area to get any type of looks. D1 or other wise so I will say once again congrats to your daughter. I also have much respect for her!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a girl that just signed a full tuition scholarship to an NAIA school. She only pays books and access fee.

You can get a full tuition scholoarship with all of the Fed money out there but a school can only give 11 scholarship in NAIA D1 and 6 in NAIA D2. It can only average 60% of total money through out the team. That means if they gave your girl a full ride then the next girl they sign has to pay full price to even out. More than likely she still has to pay room and board. For example Montreat College cost 32,000 to go. Mary Jane gets the offer of this break down: 32000-10,000 for baskeball=22,000-6,000 for grades=16,000-5000 for Pell Grant=11,000-3200 hope=7800 and some schools give dorm free for first year so -3200 for dome=4600' 4000 for student loan=600 out of pocket per year not including books.. that is how you can get a free ride at an NAIA school... and the coach can up the basketball money also. But the money that comes from the school basketball and academics combined cannot be more than 60% of the total cost....

Look forward to playing you on the 28th.. I hear you have some new girls.. should be a blast.. the other team is a beast also...

The coach I work with gives 3 or full "full rides" and splits the rest up. The girls that get the "full rides" pay for books and access fee which amounts to around $1500/year. This is an NAIA in middle TN.

Anyway, we are also looking forward to June 28th. I will actually be bringing 5 2013 girls but a couple of them are pretty decent players.

Volunteer, South, Nautilus Express, and Knoxville Lady Panthers. All we need now is some Boone or Crockett crowing and this thread will be complete.

Hey, Kennedy, please rescue us with some SH trash talk or something. Even some TN High drama would be better than this.

Science Hill will be badd- hey accordong to comp hensley can't play any d, all ebarb is is a money taker, mmm when have they been in the gym while the girls were practicing?? At camp last week the hill had 3 seniors, i jr, 6 sophs, and 1 freshman playing- we must be too young. Volunteer will kill everyone ive heard. South has the D-1 Commit and comps girl- we cant play with that. I guess i will tell the girls not to even show up next year.

Science Hill will be badd- hey accordong to comp hensley can't play any d, all ebarb is is a money taker, mmm when have they been in the gym while the girls were practicing?? At camp last week the hill had 3 seniors, i jr, 6 sophs, and 1 freshman playing- we must be too young. Volunteer will kill everyone ive heard. South has the D-1 Commit and comps girl- we cant play with that. I guess i will tell the girls not to even show up next year.

Wk, in all due respect, it has been said that JC and Bristol are the front runners. The 'Toppers were bad A last year and will repeat this year. We know this. There was no mention of any South player except Mac. Everyone else in the conference will have to play up to the top two. The rest you can keep.

Falcon Mom...he was being sarcastic. South has issues that 5 Macs couldn't fix. Actually, we were all wondering why Lindholm didn't play with the Express this summer. I understand she had a personal invitation and passed it by.

I will respond to this, since I am Ashley's mom.

She did not receive a personal invitation to play for the Express. Not sure where you get your information, but maybe you need to check it out first before you post.

Falcon Mom...he was being sarcastic. South has issues that 5 Macs couldn't fix. Actually, we were all wondering why Lindholm didn't play with the Express this summer. I understand she had a personal invitation and passed it by.

I will respond to this, since I am Ashley's mom.

She did not receive a personal invitation to play for the Express. Not sure where you get your information, but maybe you need to check it out first before you post.

I have seen volunteer teams (boys/girls/football) have GREAT potential in the off season. Next years team may as well. I hope I am wrong, but mark my words...some parent or staff member of the school or community will get jealous and SCREW it up before Volunteer has TRUE success in sports. To be honest, the only sport that has had true success (long term) is softball. Jealousy runs rampid in Church Hill and Mt Carmel.

With my experience with basketball, I agree with playing AAU is the best way to get looks from colleges. You can't bypass playing AAU and not get a DI scholarship anymore. You can't be that arrogant and closed minded about it.

Anyway, I hope I am wrong about the falcons this year. I will believe it when I see it. Meyer may be a great coach, but who in their right mind would let the ex coach come on staff to help? craziness. However, kuddos for him for having enough gall to play freshman and sophomores instead of seniors with the same or less ability! I dont care how you slice it...that is how you build programs.

Actually, the consensous from the team was that she stated she didn't want to play basketball 4/5 days a week and lose her summer. Normally, first year Express players don't see the floor much due to the quality of the roster. But after losing two key players early in the AAU season, Lindholm would most definately have seen the floor. Hopefully she will reconsider next summer. I'm sure she would be welcomed. In retrospect, moms and dads don't always get the skinny of crutial situations...especially when we are the focal point. I think the best thing about this team is it is represented by most (not all) of the best teams in NET/SWVA and their coresponding best talent making for an ALL STAR team if you will. And their comaraderie gives them so much more respect and support for each other in the regular season. They learn to love one another deeply yet fight to the bitter end when they go back home. And yes, our coach is a task master and unrelentless devotion is required. But the benefit is a special experience. One that I'm sure would be a treasure to Lindholm or any number of other superior athletes in our area that would benefit greatly from the association. That said, my pre season picks for POY in the Big 8 are: Haley Hensley/SHHS, Blakely Burleson/THS, and possibly Mackenzie Campbell/SSHS. I understand that the Island has a couplle of Sophs, and a Frosh that will make headlines. Anyone want to add to the list?

I have seen volunteer teams (boys/girls/football) have GREAT potential in the off season. Next years team may as well. I hope I am wrong, but mark my words...some parent or staff member of the school or community will get jealous and SCREW it up before Volunteer has TRUE success in sports. To be honest, the only sport that has had true success (long term) is softball. Jealousy runs rampid in Church Hill and Mt Carmel.

With my experience with basketball, I agree with playing AAU is the best way to get looks from colleges. You can't bypass playing AAU and not get a DI scholarship anymore. You can't be that arrogant and closed minded about it.

Anyway, I hope I am wrong about the falcons this year. I will believe it when I see it. Meyer may be a great coach, but who in their right mind would let the ex coach come on staff to help? craziness. However, kuddos for him for having enough gall to play freshman and sophomores instead of seniors with the same or less ability! I dont care how you slice it...that is how you build programs.

easttnboy

During Myers’ first season he played 3 freshmen so everyone thought change was on the way. Last season he played 2 freshmen just to have nine on varsity. Not for sure but I don’t think anyone on previous years’ freshmen / JV moved up. I heard lot of girls have quit last 2 years, maybe this is why Anderson is back as assistant. Looks to me like one of 2 things, either the above is true or they’ve found one great middle school coach last couple of years that is doing better than their freshmen/jv coach.