Who is the freshman coach @ Lavergne?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I misread the post (which is possible), the poster I quoted suggested that coaching throws is not as challenging as coaching the offensive line. I can't say whether one is more challenging than the other, but I can tell you that it's probably a lot easier to find a quality line coach, since there are many of those, than it is to find a quality throws coach, of which there are few.

(The Laverne throws coach had athletes go 1-2 in AAA at the state track meet, and the winner was a freshman, who threw 156'. That ain't half bad. I'm guessing that a guy who can coach that can become a very good OL coach.)

Just my opinion, but you really have to have a different mindset to be a line coach, especially an o line coach. It all starts in the trenches and teaching proper technique, blocking, and footwork is huge. It helps if one has prior experience playing on the line too. I think your o line coach is probably the most important coach on the field b/c every play revolves around what he does with his lineman. There is a big difference in coaching throwing a discus than in coaching football......I don't see how you don't realize that. I am not downplaying what the guy did with track, but it is much easier to coach individuals than to coach groups that have to work together. Now maybe if he was coaching QB's or Recs maybe just maybe something about coaching state champions that throw in track would help him.

Is it possible the guy was a lineman when he played football and the track&field part is the icing on the cake? It would seem improbable to have a line coach that didn't know about line play.

-------------------------------------------------

LEAD...FOLLOW...or GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

The NEW/IMPROVED LaVergne High is on it's way. :roflolk:

There is a big difference in coaching throwing a discus than in coaching football......I don't see how you don't realize that.

My point: there are plenty of qualified OL coaches out there; head coaches tend to hire men who know how to do that. There are not so many qualified throws coaches; people tend to think that any old person can do that, so they put any old person in the position.

Is it possible the guy was a lineman when he played football and the track&field part is the icing on the cake? It would seem improbable to have a line coach that didn't know about line play.

-------------------------------------------------

LEAD...FOLLOW...or GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

The NEW/IMPROVED LaVergne High is on it's way. :roflol:

I’ve meet and spoken with (The New Line Coach) Coach Stephens or Coach Mark as the kids call him at a few of the Track meets in the spring and he did play D1 football in the MAC Conference. He was recruited as a Tackle/TE and moved to DE his sophomore year. I’m sure he knows the game of football; I mean he did play football at a high level. With him coaching the throwing events and the improvement they have shown in the short time he has been there, tells me the man can coach the little things and technique and footwork. Add in his playing experience and the familiarity with the kids and it makes sense. Well see if this was a good heir or not but I feel pretty good about it.

There is a big difference in coaching throwing a discus than in coaching football......I don't see how you don't realize that.

My point: there are plenty of qualified OL coaches out there; head coaches tend to hire men who know how to do that. There are not so many qualified throws coaches; people tend to think that any old person can do that, so they put any old person in the position.

IanMackaye: help me understand here; are you saying they brought him on to keep him as a throws coach?

Unless I misread the post (which is possible), the poster I quoted suggested that coaching throws is not as challenging as coaching the offensive line. I can't say whether one is more challenging than the other, but I can tell you that it's probably a lot easier to find a quality line coach, since there are many of those, than it is to find a quality throws coach, of which there are few.

(The Laverne throws coach had athletes go 1-2 in AAA at the state track meet, and the winner was a freshman, who threw 156'. That ain't half bad. I'm guessing that a guy who can coach that can become a very good OL coach.)

You did miss read my post........I did not say one was more difficult then the other........I said it is different and for someone with no FOOTBALL COACHING background to jump into an OL coaching position is going to be a challenge. Now, he did play college football however I still come back to my point, where he has never coached football at any level. I wish him and the new staff at LaVergne the best of luck. Welcome to the toughest region it the state!!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been to a Lavergne practice yet this year? I was at last night's session and the intensity level was very high. Now yea, I was watching from the school parking lot but wow; it’s like night and day from last year. The speed of the drills, the expectation of the staff and the buy in from the kids in what they are telling them was impressive. I was also impressed with the cleanliness of the facilities. The stadium was cleaned and painted the grass looked to be in good shape, it just looked like someone is taking pride in the appearance of there facilities for once. I can't wait to see them get the pads on and see what they can do; in any event, I'm impressed with what I saw last night. First scrimmage is 2 weeks away, at Goodpasture.

Edited by ilovehsfootball