Good bye coach Powell

doorbell

10 members have voted

1. 1. If this was your school, would it be alright with you

• Yes
    • no
    • it's alright Girls play this sport.

This whole post was enough to make my head explode, but the baseball/softball comparison necessitates a response since I can't find my roll of duct tape. I gave your questions letters to assist those following along at home. The one thing I have learned in 30+ years of coaching softball and baseball is that if one doesn't correct incorrect information and/or myths, that false knowledge will simply replicate and perpetuate. Given the information in your post, you may be too far gone, but other readers may benefit from the knowledge.

A. While it's not worth arguing, although baseball and softball are different sports, they certainly are not "night and day" or anything close. I don't know anybody who has successfully coached both who would tell you differently.

B. No they don't "slap bunt" in baseball. But "they" don't "slap bunt" in softball either. They slap [hit] in softball. They bunt in softball. But they don't "slap bunt." By the rules of the game, a "slap bunt" would be an oxymoron. Let me guess, you also think that the player positioned just behind home plate and in front of the umpire is the "hind-catcher" too, don't you? I digress. Just for the record, slapping originated in baseball and was adapted into fastpitch, and there are still slappers in baseball today. Ichiro slaps. Furcal slaps.

C. What the crap is "bait and switch?" That's an unethical and potentially illegal marketing ploy. Just think, my teams have been able to win all those championships over the years without even knowing what this phrase means, much less how to use it. Just for kicks, I texted 3 very successful and very experienced softball coaches to see if I was missing something. They hadn't heard of it either. We apparently don't have a copy of the book "Screwed up Softball Terminology: Incorrect, Obscure Phrases Used only by the Untrained." (See slap-bunt, hind-catcher, etc)

D. Do they have a courtesy runner in baseball? Sure they do. Many rule books governing travel teams specically allow for courtesy runners and have had the provision for years. I haven't coached travel baseball since 90s and we were using courtesy runners in 18U then. The NFHS baseball rulebook (that is the rulebook that governs high school play) has a provision (2-33-1) allowing courtesy runners to be used, and the majority of states do so.

E. Did you think stealing was illegal in fastpitch? Perhaps you mean the whole leading off thing. Ever watched 12U baseball where the smaller field with shorter basepaths are used? Depending upon the organization, the baseball runners can't leave the base until the ball crosses the plate or leaves the pitchers hand... just like softball. Where did you think softball got the rule? Using your logic, 12U baseball is night and day different than 13U baseball too and a coach moving from 12U to 13U would be completely unqualified to make the move.

F. If the coaching staff hasn't heard of these questions, they are in good company... right along with virtually every knowledgeable and experienced travel, college, and high school softball coach. Oh my gosh, how have we survived without hearing these ridculous questions?

G. Strange you mention a book. I am actually in the middle of writing a book on softball. From your post, my guess is that it would be of great benefit to you.

I thought that would help me a bit, but I still need some duct tape to keep my head from exploding.

C. Bait and Switch: Coach this is when a parent tells you to come watch his daughter pitch. You get to the game and she is 6ft, Lefty, throwing mid 60's so you agree to let her pitch on your Travel Team. Then when she shows up she is 5ft, righty, throws 40 with a strong wind behind her!!!! Turns out she pitched for the "Other Team" you watched!!! Bait and Switch!!!!!! :flower:

B. No they don't "slap bunt" in baseball. But "they" don't "slap bunt" in softball either. They slap [hit] in softball. They bunt in softball. But they don't "slap bunt." By the rules of the game, a "slap bunt" would be an oxymoron. Let me guess, you also think that the player positioned just behind home plate and in front of the umpire is the "hind-catcher" too, don't you? I digress. Just for the record, slapping originated in baseball and was adapted into fastpitch, and there are still slappers in baseball today. Ichiro slaps. Furcal slaps.

No they don't SLAP BUNT, It is called a Drag Bunt, It is a running bunt done from the left side.