TSSAA---Need to Address Open Enrollment

mrbigster

I would like to see the TSSAA address the open enrollment.I have nothing against a player going to another school sytem as a freshman but would like for the students to at least go to schools in the same county.For instance,if a kid from Melrose wants to go to Central as a freshman..that would be fine.If a kid from Milan wants to go to Humboldt..fine..just as an incoming freshman..If a kid wants to go from Dyersburg to Milan to play football..that shouldn't be allowed.In the same county,I have no problem.if a student wants to go to another county.have a rule like the colleges do..sit a year ..let that be a penalty to pay for living in a county but going to another county to play sports.If it's not about playing sports.then these kids would have no problem sitting out a year.With all the AAU travel teams,open gyms.etc.kids are playing pickup games and tournaments with players from other schools and a lot of times ,decide to go to school there due to the influence of those players and other students.Throughout the years Lake Co has lost about 6 players to Dyersburg and Dyer Co.Several years ago,Lake Co lost Andre flowers to Dyer Co while he still lived in Lake Co.Lake Co lost a brother and sister to Dyersburg several years ago that starred in basketball for the Trojans.Losing those players have cost Lake Co a chance at a couple State Championships possibly.Lake Co has lost two players to Dyer Co this year already,one of them being Andre Flowers brother..Not blaming Dyer Co or saying Dyer Co is cheating or recruiting.I've also talked to a couple parents and friends and know pretty well for a fact,Lake Co is losing 3 middle school baseball players to Dyer Co next year as they become freshmen.This is killing the small schools and hurting the communities.I know it's happening at other places.Seems like York lost about 6 girl basketball players a couple years ago.Not sure if they went to a school in the same county or out of county.If they went out of county,the TSSAA needs to do something.If a family moves,I have no problem with that..if a kid goes to a school in the same county..can live with that..but I don't think it's right for a kid to live in Lake Co and be able to drive 25 miles each way to go to school.Find out if it's about sports or not.If it's not about sports,they'll still go to Dyer Co and sit out that year since they aren't moving.If it's about sports.More than likely there's a chance that they'll stay at Lake Co or their home schools.Not going to stop a lot of the transfers because some families are going to move to please little Johhny and Mary.. At least a move was made ..But stop all this stupid stuff of letting kids go to another county.!Just my opinion.Nothing against Dyer Co as I live in Dyer Co.A lot of my friends think Dyer Co is recruiting or cheating.I don't.They're just taking advantage of what the TSSAA is allowing.And with open gym and all the AAU.Going to keep happening.I know several people that have written to the TSSAA from Lake Co to Childress,the head guy with no resonse to any of them.I heard the only way they will reply is it has to be a coach or an administrator from another school before they will look into anything.Maybe someone from some of these smaller schools will try to get them to look at this problem.At least take a look.!

Again..This is just some of the Lake Co fans opinion.We've lost players to other schools without complaining but they moved.Cody Gross,a starter on the Dyer Co basketball team the past couple seasons is originally from Lake Co.He moved to Dyer Co.Nobody has complained.A lot of people may not agree and think that players should be allowed to play for any school.That's fine.I respect their opinion.I'd like to get the opinion from a lot of people that are from the small schools and have lost players to other schools .!

Edited by mrbigster

I have a touch of ADD and it's 5 in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, so you lost my complete attention pretty early...But...

Let's look at this example...I live in Union City...Both my son's went to Ridgemont Elm/Jr High (county system)...My oldest son went to Obion Central all four years of high school...My youngest son went to Union City until Thanksgiving week of his freshman year then transferred to Obion Central....He played freshman football for the Tornadoes and was on the basketball team and played in two JV games....When he transferred to OC he joined the basketball team....Even though he attended the county school system for 9 years (including Kindergarten)he had to sit out 1 whole calender year (because of the bona fide change of residence thing) before he could play in a varsity game with the Rebel basketball team....I'm pretty sure had I moved to Troy everything would have been fine and he could have played immediately (I think there is a mileage stipulation, not sure)....

As a junior high kid going into high school, I don't have a problem where you attend if you are in the same county....It's a free country and I think you have the right to send your kid wherever you want to send them...I have a little bit of a problem with a kid from Lake County going to Dyer County but again, it's a free country...I guess you could slap a pretty hefty out-of-county tuition on those students...If you want your kid to play (and let's face it, playing sports is probably 95% the reason for this) bad enough with a team outside your home county, you could move into that county...

A very steep tuition or a deal where you have to sit out a year if you live in one county and attend school in another county would deter some of this I guess....

I have a touch of ADD and it's 5 in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, so you lost my complete attention pretty early...But...

Let's look at this example...I live in Union City...Both my son's went to Ridgemont Elm/Jr High (county system)...My oldest son went to Obion Central all four years of high school...My youngest son went to Union City until Thanksgiving week of his freshman year then transferred to Obion Central....He played freshman football for the Tornadoes and was on the basketball team and played in two JV games....When he transferred to OC he joined the basketball team....Even though he attended the county school system for 9 years (including Kindergarten)he had to sit out 1 whole calender year (because of the bona fide change of residence thing) before he could play in a varsity game with the Rebel basketball team....I'm pretty sure had I moved to Troy everything would have been fine and he could have played immediately (I think there is a mileage stipulation, not sure)....

As a junior high kid going into high school, I don't have a problem where you attend if you are in the same county....It's a free country and I think you have the right to send your kid wherever you want to send them...I have a little bit of a problem with a kid from Lake County going to Dyer County but again, it's a free country...I guess you could slap a pretty hefty out-of-county tuition on those students...If you want your kid to play (and let's face it, playing sports is probably 95% the reason for this) bad enough with a team outside your home county, you could move into that county...

A very steep tuition or a deal where you have to sit out a year if you live in one county and attend school in another county would deter some of this I guess....

I said the same thing as you.I have no problem with a kid from Ridgemont,Black Oak going to Union City or Obion Central.Like in my post..if a kid wants to go to Milan from Humboldt or Gibson Co..fine..at least it's the same county.But I don't think it's right for a kid from Lake Co..that actually lives in Lake Co to go play for Dyer Co or another county.Like you said..maybe pay a large out of county tuition or sit a year.Lake Co has 4 students that enrolled at Dyer Co as freshmen this year.Three play football and 1 plays baseball.I know for a fact that 3 more are comming next year to play baseball.Something else I wonder about..If Dyer Co ever turns ant students from out of county away.Looks like they will have to take anyone .Maybe about 300 of Dyersburg students need to go to Dyer Co.What is the limit?I thought Dyer Co had an agreement with Dyersburg to not let any city kids come to Dyer Co.But yet they allow students to come from another county.I'm pretty sure both schools have an agreement.So..if it is true..I believe I would have a meeting with someone if I lived in the city of Dyerburg and my kid wanted to go to Dyer Co.I'm curious to know if that's true,Seems like a few years ago I read about a student wanting to do this but was told that was a policy between both schools to not let students transfer.?But yet they can admit kids from other counties.!?Just wondering?Like you said 95 percent of parents do move to let junior play for a certain program.But at least make them move.Don't let them just be able to drive 30 miles.It's especially hurting the small schools.I don't think the baseball parents moved..he's a sophomore.So since he played at Lake Co last year.he wouldn't be eligible to play at Dyer Co this year anyway..unless his parents did make a move.Two of the others are freshmen.Doubt either of them sees any playing time for at least 2 years.One of the players is the brother of standout football player,Andre Flowers.He's a very good player but nowhere near the palyer his brother was.But now..if they don't get any playing time at Dyer Co..can't come back to Lake Co without sitting a year.So even in that scenario..the small school will be punished..The other player started at Lake Co last year but his family moved.I have no problem with that.!I think the TSSAA should do something.!

Edited by mrbigster

I just now found something that I find fascinating..I'm going to post a couple of posts from a couple different parents.

QUOTE who="Worried Mother"]I was informed today that my son can no longer attend Newbern School because we live outside the zone. My child has attended this school since he was in preschool. They never had a problem with him going there until I try to sign my daughter up for pre-school. They told me she could not go to the school, but I did not understand why. So I called the school board and made a fuss. Today on my son's first day at Newbern they tell me he can not be enrolled there any longer. The board of education is trying to force me to send my son to a school with no cultural diversity. I feel at Newbern he will get the best education he needs. I take them and pick them up. I don't understand what the problem is? I know what best for my children better than anyone. What is so hard for these people to understand I just want my son to get a good education and cultural development.

Judged:

The county schools are really cracking down on kids attending that don't live in zone because the county schools are overcrowded and can only hold a certain amount of students based on the number stated by the fire marshall. They are giving kids that actually live there the opportunity to attend the school instead of turning them away just because those who do not live in zone can attend. Its simple. If you do not live in zone of that school you may not attend. Go to the school that you are zoned for. That is why schools have/the zoning rules.

I thought these posts were funny..Or is Dyer Co only admitting athletes?

These two posts are on Dyerburg Topix..Then look for the post that says Dyer Co school system.So far there are about a hundrend replies.!

Edited by mrbigster

Can't blame kids for leaving Lake County. You did.

I did?.I still go to all the Lake Co games.Not Dyer Co.We live in Newbern but my son actually drives to Lake Co every day.I'll say again.the TSSAA should do something.Even in my case.The TSSAA should not have allowed my son to drive out of county to play ball without sitting out a year.People are on;y doing what the TSSAA allows.

If a kid does not want to go to your school , do you really want to keep him / her there?

It's not that the kid don't want to go to school there but his parents think it's betetr for him.I've talked to a couple of these parents and it's all about the team and the coaches.The only reason thses kids are going is because they are going to a loaded team.!

Dyersburg and Dyer Co have decided to not play at all in any sports.Just a few miles from each other.It's a shame.But I live in Dyer Co and I know the real reason.The paper tomorrow is going to come out and say that there are a lot of things happening with peiople taking things too far .I don't see that happening between Alcoa and Maryville..South Pittsburg and Marion Co..The real reason is that people in Dyersburg know that Dyer Co has become the Beast in the County.Most everyone in Dyersburg and all the surrounding areas feel like Dyer Co is recruiting with players coming from several counties to play ball.I feel like the TSSAA has a lot to do with this decision for letting a lot of this go on as far as letting kids go to other counties as freshmen.Dyersburg people are unhappy.Lake Co people are unhappy.Halls people are unhappy.Now with Dyersburg and Dyer Co not playing,a lot of money lost.Which means less for the TSSAA.So now.I believe the TSSAA is unhappy also..Good..Join the party.!

Edited by mrbigster