Choo Choo Playday

smdad

This Saturday East Ridge and Red Bank will host the Choo Choo playday, and there will be a number of really good teams participating. While I don't have access to the schedule for both facilities, maybe DS4Life can post all of the teams that will be there. I do know that Signal Mountain will play Bradley County, Karns (AAA State Tournament participant), Chattanooga Christian (AA 3rd place), Baylor (Div II-AA 3rd place)and Boyd Buchanan (A State Champion). In addition to those teams, Red Bank (AA State Champion), East Ridge and GPS will definitely be participating, and I imagine Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy and Cleveland will be there as well. In years past some of the better teams from Knoxville usually play, so it is likely Farragut, Anderson County and Oak Ridge will be there.

It should be a great day of volleyball (except for the hot box gyms at East Ridge and Red Bank) and will be a lot of fun to see how the different teams look.

On a side note, a buddy of mine asked why its called a "play day" - he said it sounds like a bunch of kids at recess. He thinks the football term "jamboree" should be used, because he knows the girls are working really hard and not just playing around.

Smdad, yours was a very good post. It looks to be a great Playday. Jamboree does sound like a better term only if it is not related to the oblong sphere that does not know how to bounce and drives those players nuts trying to keep up with it. The other day a post came in wondering why a Team Camp was called that. Now I'm not the one to change what things are called although I've been accused of it :blush:.

DS4Life needs to either cut and paste the schedule or at least put the Schools playing.

I haven't heard of anyone making the trek across the mountain from MT but I wouldn't put it passed them. The main thing the rest of the State hopes that someone will use their best Volleyball wisdom and recap play after its over giving us an idea how things are doing and how good the play was. Pageman still talks about the months he would spend in that hot gym over a weekend and he thought he might never get out. It had nothing to do about wins and losses(I can't believe I posted that) it was the length of time Page was in the gym.

We await the Sage from the Southeast for his post and await the always astute commentary when it is finished. :popcorneater::popcorneater: UMMM, Syncronized popcorn eaters. Could be an Olympic event. Like those crazy stone throwers.

Edited by PHargis

Teams at East Ridge:

Anderson Co

Cookeville

East Hamilton

East Ridge

GPS

Grace

Karns (original schedule had them playing at ER, however I think a change was made and they will be at Red Bank)

Knoxville Catholic

Lookout Valley

Ooltewah

Sullivan South

Ooltewah

Sullivan South

Tyner

Walker Valley

Teams at Red Bank:

Baylor

Boyd Buchanan

Bradley

CCS

CSAS

Hixson

Red Bank

Richard Hardy

Sale Creek

Signal Mountain

Soddy Daisy

Warren Co.

• Upvote 1

East Ridge

TIME CT. 1 CT. 2 CT. 3 CT. 4

9-9:55 ER/WV TYNER/LV OOLT./GPS EH/GRACE

10-10:55 SOUTH/OOLT. K.CATH/GPS AND. CO/KARNS GRACE/COOKE.

11-11:55 ER/EH SOUTH/WV LV/GRACE OOLT./COOKE.

12-12:55 K.CATH/KARNS EH/TYNER AND.CO./WV SOUTH/GPS

1-1:55 ER/LV OOLT./AND.CO. KARNS/COOKE. TYNER/GRACE

2-2:55 K.CATH./WV GPS/AND.C O ER/TYNER EH/LV

3-3:55 ER/GRACE OOLT./KARNS GPS/COOKE. LV/SOUTH

4-4:55 WV/COOKE. SOUTH/KARNS K.CATH./AND.CO. *********

5-5:55 EH/AND. CO. GPS/KARNS OOLT./K. CATH. *********

Red Bank

TIME CT. 1 CT. 2 CT. 3 CT. 4

9-9:55 HIXSON/CSAS BB/CCS SIG. MT/BRAD. R.HARDY/SC

10-10:55 RB/BAYLOR SIG. MT./SD HIX./WARREN CO CSAS/BRAD.

11-11:55 RB/BB R. HARDY/WARREN BAYLOR/SD CCS/SIG. MT

12-12:55 SC/WARREN SD/BRAD. CO. HIX./R.HARDY BAYLOR/CCS

1-1:55 RB/SC CSAS/BB SIG. MT./BAYLOR HIX./BRAD.

2-2:55 RB/CCS R.HARDY/BRAD. SC/CSAS WARREN/SD

3-3:55 R.HARDY/CSAS SC/HIXSON WARREN/CCS SIG.MT./BAY.

4-4:55 RB/SD SIG. MT./BB ************ ***********

For those of you anywhere in the State who would like to see this great Playday, its in Chattanooga and ds4life thought enough about it to give you the times and who was playing. There is no doubt, Chattanooga is passionate about the play of its schools. there is also no doubt a lot of fans will see this event. As you enter the arenas, you can get your hand marked so you can enter either arena any time you want. have fun, you are going to see some great players.

This Saturday East Ridge and Red Bank will host the Choo Choo playday, and there will be a number of really good teams participating. While I don't have access to the schedule for both facilities, maybe DS4Life can post all of the teams that will be there. I do know that Signal Mountain will play Bradley County, Karns (AAA State Tournament participant), Chattanooga Christian (AA 3rd place), Baylor (Div II-AA 3rd place)and Boyd Buchanan (A State Champion). In addition to those teams, Red Bank (AA State Champion), East Ridge and GPS will definitely be participating, and I imagine Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy and Cleveland will be there as well. In years past some of the better teams from Knoxville usually play, so it is likely Farragut, Anderson County and Oak Ridge will be there.

It should be a great day of volleyball (except for the hot box gyms at East Ridge and Red Bank) and will be a lot of fun to see how the different teams look.

On a side note, a buddy of mine asked why its called a "play day" - he said it sounds like a bunch of kids at recess. He thinks the football term "jamboree" should be used, because he knows the girls are working really hard and not just playing around.

The East Ridge "hot box" (middle school gym) is now air conditioned and feels great.

Some of the schedule for Saturday has changed. Soddy Daisy will be playing all their games at East Ridge. Soddy will have the following schedule:

10:00 - Anderson County, 12:00 - Knox Catholic, 1:00 - Cookeville, 3:00 - Ooltewah, 4:00 - Sullivan South

Soddy Daisy will be playing without, at least 4 starters.

I can confirm changes as to location and times for some teams. Just show up and check the schedule, there's a lot of great V-Ball to be watched. We all look forward to obervations from the gallery. Exciting news about the new air conditioning! Playing in that gym would border on cruel otherwise.

I guess tht means that all schools would need to show up at the schools at 9:00 EST to find out when they play but I would also suggest that an email would have been sent out telling schools of their play times. Certainly we don't have to know that, the schools are getting the communications from the Tournament directors. but it would be good to know in any other commucications to the Tournamnet, hwo wound up playing who and some acessment on how they did. good luck to all. We'll be listening for some info. After going thru the tournaments for some time, the last 12-24 hours are always like this and it can't be helped. the results tell the story if we can find them out. I am in the same situation with the Indy and the franklin and Pageman the same with the Page Playday. We'll all do the best we can. Right.

Edited by PHargis

Spent the day at the Red Bank gym and can report there still is no A/C in gyms 3 and 4. Signal Mountain had a pretty good day, opening in the morning with a 25-12, 25 -16 win over Bradley County. Next we were beaten soundly by Karns (more on them later) 10-25, 18-25. We beat CCS (who was missing one of its best players) 25-18, 25-23, and lost to Baylor 15-25, 20-25. We closed out the day by beating Boyd Buchanan 25-14, 25-20.

Karns looked good, and the two middles I have read about looked really good. We didn't have the size to really match up with them, and they also do a really good job of attacking from the back row. I had read on here that a new O/H was supposed to make the difference for them. I watched a couple of their games, and the players that stood out are the middles. There were no other upper echelon AAA teams at Red Bank besides Karns, so I don't know how they would have matched up with Ooltewah, DB or a team like that. Karns only managed a split with Baylor, winning the first 25-16, but losing the second 23-25. Baylor has a very good 6'2" junior MH, and the extra size at the net certainly slowed Karns down a little. Karns was dominant against Red Bank, but I noticed Coach Helton and her daughters were not there for the last game, and was told they had to go to a funeral.

Baylor played well, beating Red Bank early in the morning 25-17, 25-23, and I know they beat CCS (don't have any scores) but I heard Baylor split with Boyd Buchanan.

Look forward to hearing a report from East Ridge, as well as other playdays.

I shuffled back and forth between the 2 gyms. (East Ridge had the better teams; facility and FOOD)

If Soddy Daisy had 4 starters out they should be state champions! I heard from a guy named junior? talking loud, who seemed to know alot about the team, that they had a big hitter not there. Junior seemed like a good guy, and seemed to know alot about volleyball, so I took him at his word.

I thought ooltewah would be really good this year but Anderson County out played them both offensively and defensively. I liked AC, and thought they were the best all around team I saw, but they missed too many serves.

At RB I really wanted to see Karns (only because the people from Knoxville who post on here make them sound like they are the team to beat) and I thought they were ok? I did not see an impressive OH. Did she play in the Baylor game (the one I saw)? The middles were good, but the Baylor middle was better than either of the Karns middles. Karns seemed really slow. It was obvious that the middles were 100% of the offense. In the second game, which Baylor won, they took the middles out of the game and it was over? Did Karns have all of there players? Did not think Karns was as good as ooltewah, AC or Sullivan South.

All in all, the games at ER were at a higher level.

I think GPS will beat Baylor this year, and I think ER will beat Red Bank. Ooltewah will be the best area AAA. Any of those 5 could make the state tournament. I talked to some Sullivan South fans (maybe the nicest fans I have ever met at a playday) and they think DB is not nearly as tough as last year. They think it will be them and DB, but that they have a shot. They were all over watching Anderson County, and think they are the best team in the Knoxville region.

Biggest disappointment was Catholic. If they are the best team in their district it must really be week. Not impressed at all.

As always Coach Neely ran the best playday around!!!

Announcements