Henry County @ Liberty, Week 0

Drewcephus

Thats his style...dont pass till you have to / need to..defense rules in his book..best players will be on defense unless extremely offensively talented....he'll take blame for loss no matter whos mistake it may be,then straighten it out following week..I loved Counce at D'burg,you always knew when game in balance defense was core to winning..believes in hard-core displicine that unites any team to play as ONE!

Go Big Red !

Yes, I played under Counce many moons ago and that is definitely his style. One of the things I was really excited about him coming back. We haven't had a really hard-nosed D in a while. Our Defense will be ready for this Friday's game. Our inexperience may show on the offensive side, but I think all will be ok.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counce has already said in the paper that he feels terrible that the team lost, but that he felt it necessary to get some pass reps in before the end of the scrimmage, he said they hadn't passed the ball much throughout the scrimmage and felt that a few attempts were needed seeing as how this was the last preseason action before the real games start. But he did say that in a real game situation, he kills the clock in that position. So i wouldn't look for that to happen again.

I like what I see under Counce, just like I liked what I saw under Gaddis. But I can tell you from the viewpoint of a former coach, what you say is absurd. Counce was NOT working on anything on the pass play that was picked off. He would NOT take a chance on "losing" the Jamboree to Huntingdon, just to throw a pass route at the end. If you believe that, then you are not very smart. My guess is that Counce didn't know the play call, and wouldn't have approved it had he known. You are right about one thing however, it will not happen again.

I like what I see under Counce, just like I liked what I saw under Gaddis. But I can tell you from the viewpoint of a former coach, what you say is absurd. Counce was NOT working on anything on the pass play that was picked off. He would NOT take a chance on "losing" the Jamboree to Huntingdon, just to throw a pass route at the end. If you believe that, then you are not very smart. My guess is that Counce didn't know the play call, and wouldn't have approved it had he known. You are right about one thing however, it will not happen again.

Uh, these are quotes directly from Counce himself. Read yesterday's paper and you'll see that. So I'M not saying anything absurd, apparently Counce is. And just because you're a former coach doesn't exactly make you a guru. How would you know what he was working on? Are you on the coaching staff or calling plays? If not, then I don't think I'm ready to lable Counce a liar.

Maybe you're right, maybe he didn't know the play was called. But idk if he would blatantly lie about it when asked. If I was a coach in that situation, and what you say is true, then i probably would've admitted there was a miscommunication. And there's nothing wrong with a miscommunication during a scrimmage, it happens all the time. But please, don't lable what I said as "absurd" when i got the quotes directly from Counce.

Edited by RedSwarm10

Uh, these are quotes directly from Counce himself. Read yesterday's paper and you'll see that. So I'M not saying anything absurd, apparently Counce is. And just because you're a former coach doesn't exactly make you a guru. How would you know what he was working on? Are you on the coaching staff or calling plays? If not, then I don't think I'm ready to lable Counce a liar.

Maybe you're right, maybe he didn't know the play was called. But idk if he would blatantly lie about it when asked. If I was a coach in that situation, and what you say is true, then i probably would've admitted there was a miscommunication. And there's nothing wrong with a miscommunication during a scrimmage, it happens all the time. But please, don't lable what I said as "absurd" when i got the quotes directly from Counce.

A guru : any person who counsels or advises; mentor: a leading authority in a particular field. So being a former coach would qualify one as being a guru. just saying. Ever heard of "Coach Talk". Looking for big things Friday night!

I'll have to agree with Red Warrior on the topic of the newspaper article. I also do not believe that Counce knew the play. You could tell from his reaction on the sidelines that he was upset at a little more than the interception. Word is Counce hasn't governed play calling much to this point. I am willing to bet that he will have a little more hand in it from now on. Anyway, what's done is done, let's just not let it happen again.

I sure hope to see #7 on the field against Liberty. That young man has too much talent to be standing next to the Coaches. If he isn't playing QB, fine, but put him somewhere where he can make an impact.

The Patriots' D has looked good up until this point. However, I don't think Huntingdon and Obion Central are much of a test. Liberty will have a stable of athletes and will be sound offensively. They will be one of the top offenses that HC will face this season, and just so happens that they get it Week 0. Tough test for the D this week. I think we will find out exactly what we are made of Defensively.

If the Patriots make the same mistakes they made against Huntingdon (failed redzone attempts, bonehead play calls, missed tackles, etc.), they will be in for a long night and could be a rough start to a new season. If the coaches have worked to correct the mistakes (which I'm sure they have) then we will be in for a close game with a VERY good Liberty team.

I will return later with this Week's Keys to Success for the Patriots.

I'll have to agree with Red Warrior on the topic of the newspaper article. I also do not believe that Counce knew the play. You could tell from his reaction on the sidelines that he was upset at a little more than the interception. Word is Counce hasn't governed play calling much to this point. I am willing to bet that he will have a little more hand in it from now on. Anyway, what's done is done, let's just not let it happen again.

I sure hope to see #7 on the field against Liberty. That young man has too much talent to be standing next to the Coaches. If he isn't playing QB, fine, but put him somewhere where he can make an impact.

The Patriots' D has looked good up until this point. However, I don't think Huntingdon and Obion Central are much of a test. Liberty will have a stable of athletes and will be sound offensively. They will be one of the top offenses that HC will face this season, and just so happens that they get it Week 0. Tough test for the D this week. I think we will find out exactly what we are made of Defensively.

If the Patriots make the same mistakes they made against Huntingdon (failed redzone attempts, bonehead play calls, missed tackles, etc.), they will be in for a long night and could be a rough start to a new season. If the coaches have worked to correct the mistakes (which I'm sure they have) then we will be in for a close game with a VERY good Liberty team.

I will return later with this Week's Keys to Success for the Patriots.

Don't worry about who wins Jamborees. South Panola Tigers out of Batesville, MS have probably lost more Jamborees then they have won. It is just like any exhibition game. The record does not mean anything until the Real Season starts which will be Friday. Go Pats!!!!

First of all I am flattered to be copied, but the Red Warrior a few posts ago is not me. Secondly, I continue to lable what you said as absurd. Counce may have said it, but he didn't mean it. He is not a liar, but obviously covering for the mistake of someone else. It is ultimately his fault, because he is the head coach. He will not allow that to happen again. The idea that a pass was thrown in that situation is absurd and the fact that you believe what Counce said is even more amazing. I can assure you that Counce himself doesn't even believe what he said in that regard. Let's get ready for Liberty.

Don't worry about who wins Jamborees. South Panola Tigers out of Batesville, MS have probably lost more Jamborees then they have won. It is just like any exhibition game. The record does not mean anything until the Real Season starts which will be Friday. Go Pats!!!!

i agree sir but most people just don't get it! They don't mean squat!

i agree sir but most people just don't get it! They don't mean squat!

Exactly. Someone reminded me that the last time we "lost" to Huntingdon in a Jamboree was '92 (Semi-Final vs. Gallatin year).

But now, its time for Liberty to see how good our Defense really is. I think we will be ready for them. Liberty will be quick and loaded with atheletes, but they'll also be inexperienced in the skill positions just as we are. Its going to be a great game and I am anxious for Friday to arrive!

Go Big Red!!!