ALL District AAA In Mid TN

flyer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asking about this the other day I heard that in district 8 aaa that the coaches choose the all district girls by their batting averages.I know hitting is what you must do to score, or you could walk or you could be hit, but if that is all they are looking for then why don't they just let everyone line up and give them three pitches and see who hits the best. Surely there is a little bit more to the game than a batting average. The thing that is the funniest to me is that I also heard that the coaches won't announce these players at the end of the tournament. I guess they are scared of parents. If they chose those truely deserving nothing sould be said. They should look at their skills ofensively and defensively. I do remember that the Childress kid didn't even get it the year they were state runners up. She and her catcher were the top two on the team and I don't think she got it either. The pitcher is in every play and unless she is giving up a lot of runs how do you leave them out. This is all I'm saying about it . Maybe they shouldn't even have these honors if they don't know how to choose them and then don't even regonize them. The other districts do not seem to have these problems but I may be talking to the wrong people. I know of their girls who were chosen and they did a good job in selecting them.

Maybe they shouldn't even have these honors if they don't know how to choose them and then don't even regonize them. The other districts do not seem to have these problems but I may be talking to the wrong people. I know of their girls who were chosen and they did a good job in selecting them.

I don't know who you have been talking to, but I can assure you that at least some other districts have similar problems. I know of one team that had 9 all-district players, and yet the pitcher who gave them their only district loss, had a 7-0 district W/L record and batting average over .500 was not selected. I suspect there are many other similar examples from this district, as well as other districts. I agree that batting average alone is a pretty weak criteria, especially considering how some teams pad their statistics by creative scorekeeping, but at least there was a criteria. As this thread clearly indicates, very few people know who was selected, the criteria used, or how to find out this information. "Maybe they shouldn't even have these honors if they don't know how to choose them..." I couldn't agree more!

Posted by flyer:

Asking about this the other day I heard that in district 8 aaa that the coaches choose the all district girls by their batting averages.I know hitting is what you must do to score, or you could walk or you could be hit, but if that is all they are looking for then why don't they just let everyone line up and give them three pitches and see who hits the best. Surely there is a little bit more to the game than a batting average. The thing that is the funniest to me is that I also heard that the coaches won't announce these players at the end of the tournament. I guess they are scared of parents. If they chose those truely deserving nothing sould be said. They should look at their skills ofensively and defensively. I do remember that the Childress kid didn't even get it the year they were state runners up. She and her catcher were the top two on the team and I don't think she got it either. The pitcher is in every play and unless she is giving up a lot of runs how do you leave them out. This is all I'm saying about it . Maybe they shouldn't even have these honors if they don't know how to choose them and then don't even regonize them. The other districts do not seem to have these problems but I may be talking to the wrong people. I know of their girls who were chosen and they did a good job in selecting them.

I know of at least one girl in 8AAA that was not chosen last year for her batting average. She made all district and did not break 200 for average. She had other attributes.

What is up with one team having 9 all district players? Boy that sure seems wrong. Are there not many teams in that district?

District 8-AAA has 7 teams and all are competetive. Some of these districts only have 1 or 2 good teams. This could make it much easier to make all-district.

What is up with one team having 9 all district players? Boy that sure seems wrong. Are there not many teams in that district?

The district has 8 teams, 6 of which are pretty competitive. The team with 9 all district players won the district, but the team which won in 2001 only had 3 all districts in 2001. The selections are kept very quiet. I did not know about the nine players until it was posted earlier in this thread, but I know who posted it and he is certainly someone who should know, so I feel like that should be accurate.

FPjunkie> One of the reason teams have so many that make the all-district is that the district in advance guarantee the district winner 6 all district players. In addition, all district awards are given in this district to MVP for defensive players, offensive players & pitchers. The year before, the district was split in 2 divisions & they gave 3 awards to each division winners plus the MVP's. The district is very quiet, I know of several players that were not told by their coaches that they had won the award. The district probably gives at least 20 all-district players, so there are quiet a few awards given, but it is kept quiet.

I know the player that was undefeated in the regular season as a pitcher & she definately deserved to be one of the best players in the league. I didn't know she didn't make it and has been one of the top players in this area for some time.

That district does a bad job of honoring these girls for their play & does not give them anything such as trophy, certificate,etc. like they do in other sports. Hope "TITLE IX" doesn't ever find out-

[Edited by sbcoach on 10-14-02 8:01A]

Posted by flyer:

You wasted a pretty good tirade there, at least partially. The District 8-AAA team is not chosen by batting average. I do think the coaches have kind of messed it up, though. They announce it a little bit at a time as each team is eliminated. That does allow each girl's teammates and fans to be on hand when she gets the honor, but it doesn't allow the girls to gather on the field together and be honored as a group. I'm a pretty close follower of District 8-AAA softball but I have no idea who made the All-District team last year and I dare say very few people know.

[Edited by mikemcgee on 10-14-02 9:55A]

Posted by sbcoach:

FPjunkie> One of the reason teams have so many that make the all-district is that the district in advance guarantee the district winner 6 all district players.

Is this guarantee for this district only or for all districts? The team that won this district in 2001 only had 3 all district players. Several other districts have posted their lists on this thread, and I don't recall any other team with 6 players. And if there is indeed a six player guarantee, how did they get from 6 to 9? I do know that on MVP, Offensive Player of the Year, and Pitcher of the Year, there have occasionally been 2 selections (co-MVP, etc.), but not on a regular basis and I can recall only once in recent years that the two selections came from the two different divisions of the district and in many cases there was only one player selected.

Is this guarantee for this district only or for all districts? The team that won this district in 2001 only had 3 all district players. Several other districts have posted their lists on this thread, and I don't recall any other team with 6 players. And if there is indeed a six player guarantee, how did they get from 6 to 9? I do know that on MVP, Offensive Player of the Year, and Pitcher of the Year, there have occasionally been 2 selections (co-MVP, etc.), but not on a regular basis and I can recall only once in recent years that the two selections came from the two different divisions of the district and in many cases there was only one player selected.

FPjunkie- I understand what you are saying. The way I understand it is each district sets up its on by-laws how it is to select the all-district teams. This particular district instead of the coaches voting for everyone, got so many based on their finish. In 2001 when the district was split in two division, each division winner got 3 which means they gave 6 in all for 1st place. What happened this year was that the MVP's was done separate, the winner got 3 MVP's by vote of coaches(not for winning the district, includes Co-MVP's), and 5 or 6 by winning the district. Not saying it was the best way of doing things, but is what I heard happened.

[Edited by sbcoach on 10-14-02 1:12P]

Posted by fpjunkie:

Maybe they shouldn't even have these honors if they don't know how to choose them and then don't even regonize them. The other districts do not seem to have these problems but I may be talking to the wrong people. I know of their girls who were chosen and they did a good job in selecting them.

I don't know who you have been talking to, but I can assure you that at least some other districts have similar problems. I know of one team that had 9 all-district players, and yet the pitcher who gave them their only district loss, had a 7-0 district W/L record and batting average over .500 was not selected. I suspect there are many other similar examples from this district, as well as other districts. I agree that batting average alone is a pretty weak criteria, especially considering how some teams pad their statistics by creative scorekeeping, but at least there was a criteria. As this thread clearly indicates, very few people know who was selected, the criteria used, or how to find out this information. "Maybe they shouldn't even have these honors if they don't know how to choose them..." I couldn't agree more!

[Edited by ruby27 on 10-17-02 6:11P]