Covington 14 Frayser 8

Covington held on to beat a Frayser team that IMO should have won the game if it were not for costly penalties and turnovers. I understand those intangibles are part of football but Frayser really shot themselves in the foot a couple of times. Covington still has a long way to go to be able to compete with the Milan's and other top teams. I was really expecting more from Covington tonite after their promising play against Briarcrest in the jamboree last week. But a win is a win...I guess. Covington's pass defense was very weak against Frayser's short yardage passing game and their scrambling QB.

I don't have any official stats from the game, hopefully the local paper will post them soon, but Frayser spent much of the game marching towards Covington end zone only to fumble, intercept, or be penalized for delay of game, offsides etc. Covington on the other hand had one good scoring drive in the first quarter only to be shut down by Frayser's defense until the mid 4th quarter when Covington scored again. Covington also lost a couple of fumbles as they were driving. Take out the penalties and turnovers and Frayser probably wins the ballgame.

Well, 1-0 beats the heck out of 0-1, so I am overjoyed to get the win over Frayser. The Wing-T is the proper offense for our talent pool, IMHO. I'm glad that Coach Wheeler has chosen to return to our roots, so to speak, by running it. We were able to complete some passes out of this formation, including one TD pass, so that tells me we are not just one-dimensional.

I am encouraged by the depth at running back that Covington showed. Several backs showed me some talent last night, and Frayser definitely had some big hosses on the D-line. Concerns include:

1. the durability of Carlos Williams. Carlos was unable to finish the jamboree because of cramps, and was out most of the second half last night for the same reason. He is definitely the most talented Covington player on both sides of the ball, and the team will suffer if he has to sit.

2. Defense - Our defense gets pushed around a lot. We are going to have to improve a lot in this category to have a chance at a winning season.Too much arm tackling, and not enough solid hitting, in my eyes. I did see some nice interceptions by the defensive secondary though, so that was a bright spot.

3. Place kicking - Our place kicker is giong to have to make those PAT's or eventually we will lose a game because of that. If this continues to be a problem, the coach may opt to go for 2 a lot more.

People always ask me how good our team is going to be,and I always tell them "I'll be able to let you know after 3 games". Same this year. The jury is still out.

Edited by CHARGERFAN