Running up the Score part IV?

siegelsoccer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this on Chattanoogan. Terrible.Can someone tell me more about the NAIA? Lee's oppponents must be extremely weak. This is not the only lopsided score I see on their website.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_186979.asp

I don't know about this one. Coach Yelton has developed one of the best NAIA programs in the nation. The difference between the top naia teams and the bottom is quite significant. I'd say college coaches have a bit more pressure on them than high school coaches. post season is around the corner for them and Coach may have to turn to the reserves at any moment. To his credit, he did pull the starters...what are you going to tell the reserves? "I know you haven't been able to play all year but take it easy on them...?"

I don't know about this one. Coach Yelton has developed one of the best NAIA programs in the nation. The difference between the top naia teams and the bottom is quite significant. I'd say college coaches have a bit more pressure on them than high school coaches. post season is around the corner for them and Coach may have to turn to the reserves at any moment. To his credit, he did pull the starters...what are you going to tell the reserves? "I know you haven't been able to play all year but take it easy on them...?"

Apparently a big fish in a small pond ( actually more like a puddle). Likely most high schools could ring up similar scores on these nameless college programs. Perhaps he should start challenging the players with competition. NAIA Champions? Chile please.........

Edited by Canesoverhere

Apparently a big fish in a small pond ( actually more like a puddle). Likely most high schools could ring up similar scores on these nameless college programs. Perhaps he should start challenging the players with competition. NAIA Champions? Chile please.........

You are right Canes. I looked up the opponents of Lee this season. Lee is a BIG fish in this group. I was talking to some friends in the soccer world and also learned that the NAIA has little or no restriction on recruiting and offering $. Apparently Lee has the highest endowment of the group too. Seems the score is not the only thing that is lop-sided.

Enough on the subject though. Just wanted to comment that the "running up the score" sickness is not limited to high school.

Edited by noIinTeam4

Saw a good example of a high-scoring game tonight, but done about as gracefully as possible for the situation.

In a Region Semifinal, Team-A defeated Team-B 11-0. (This was team-A's first double-digit win this season)

- At the 3-0 mark, about 18 minutes into the game, Team-A pulled 8 starters out, leaving the goalie, 1 forward, and 1 midfielder.

- 2nd string added 4 more goals by halftime.

- At beginning of the 2nd half, the starters returned, but only played for 10 minutes, and scored one additional goal.

- When the starters left this half, Team-A didn't refill their side, and played down 2 players.

- 15 minutes into the half, the scoreboard 'malfunctioned' and was turned off. The announcer said that the Ref would keep the official time on the field.

- 10 minutes after that, the Ref called the game. (about 15 minutes early)

- Of the 11 goals, they were all scored by 11 different players, two of them being defenders, and 5 of them being from the subs.

In this lopsided game, about as much sportsmanship that could be given from Team-A to Team-B was shown. Team-B played with much heart throughout, and their Keeper had many excellent saves, as well as many back-line blocks and clears. There were no fouls, and no parent, player, or coach dissent on any plays.

Saw this on Chattanoogan. Terrible.Can someone tell me more about the NAIA? Lee's oppponents must be extremely weak. This is not the only lopsided score I see on their website.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_186979.asp

Lee is a top NAIA school, with the rest of their conference fairly week. They tend to blow out the teams in the conference that they have to play, but they balance it out by scheduling other top 10 NAIA schools.

NAIA is another level of conference, just like NCAA Div 1, D2, or D3. I've heard as a whole it compares to D2 level wise, though the top NAIA schools would be very competitive with mid D1 programs. NAIA doesn't follow NCAA rules as far a recruiting goes. Most of the schools are private, and they can offer more soccer scholarship than D2, but less than D1.

Saw a good example of a high-scoring game tonight, but done about as gracefully as possible for the situation.

- Of the 11 goals, they were all scored by 11 different players, two of them being defenders, and 5 of them being from the subs.

I understand what your trying to share, but let's look at that another way.

Your out hunting and you shoot a deer. After you take out the animal with two shots, you then hand your gun over to eight different people, some who have never fired a gun, to finish the deer off with ten more shots (one person decided to shoot the deer twice in the head).

That's how I see an 11-0 match.

Edited by Canesoverhere

Your out hunting and you shoot a deer. After you take out the animal with two shots, you then hand your gun over to eight different people, some who have never fired a gun, to finish the deer off with ten more shots (one person decided to shoot the deer twice in the head).

Quite possibly the post of the year. :roflol:

You're right.

At the 2-0 mark, everyone should have gathered around one another inside the center circle, sat down on the ground, held hands, and sang kumb-ba-ya while the refs passed out chocolate bon-bons to eat for the 75 minutes remaining. :)

Edited by 95GSoccer