Running up the Score part IV?

siegelsoccer

You're right.

At the 2-0 mark, everyone should have gathered around one another inside the center circle, sat down on the grown, held hands, and sang kumb-ba-ya while the refs passed out chocolate bond-bonds to eat for the 75 minutes remaining. :)

I don't think that Socref1 likes Chocolate :ph34r::roflolk:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what your trying to share, but let's look at that another way.

Your out hunting and you shoot a deer. After you take out the animal with two shots, you then hand your gun over to eight different people, some who have never fired a gun, to finish the deer off with ten more shots (one person decided to shoot the deer twice in the head).

That's how I see an 11-0 match.

No real hunter needs the 2 extra shots. :rolleyes:

One shot One kill!

Saw a good example of a high-scoring game tonight, but done about as gracefully as possible for the situation.

In this lopsided game, about as much sportsmanship that could be given from Team-A to Team-B was shown. Team-B played with much heart throughout, and their Keeper had many excellent saves, as well as many back-line blocks and clears. There were no fouls, and no parent, player, or coach dissent on any plays.

Being very near the middle of this game :thumb: I appreciated the actions of all participants. TSSAA rules adaptation allows for a lopsided game to terminate with the agreement of both coaches and the referee. Team B's coach at half time said he wanted to play ~30 minutes of the 2nd half, Team A's coach agreed.

Team B played as hard as they could the entire game. Team A played a two touch restriction but continued to play, instead of playing keep away, with only 8 field players. There were only 2 fouls committed the entire game. Team A did not say or do anything to demean their opponents, no player was "showing off" they just worked the ball around attempting to get each player a goal. The clock "failure" was pre-planned to not show double digit goals.

Anybody who would say anything to demean the actions of anyone associated with this game is off base.

... the scoreboard 'malfunctioned' and was turned off. The announcer said that the Ref would keep the official time on the field.

The other Regional semi-final was much the same.

4-0 after 18 minutes and all the starters came out.

The game finished 8-0 and seven minutes early after their stadium clock mysteriously ran fast. Very odd.....

Congrats to all the young ladies involved. The match never got "chippy" as these things often can. The winning team played with grace and just kept moving the ball around.

The losing team never gave up, defended until the very end, their keeper making some great saves.

Just curious, what is the consensus best way to handle the disparity in talent which is so apparent in many HS matches. When you pull your starters 10 minutes in, do you put restrictions on the 2nd & 3rd strings?

What about keepers? Do you put them on an island with 3rd stringers and potentially subject them to injury on 1v1's. Or do you pull them too?

Isn't it almost as demeaning to pass the ball around looking like Spain and passing up obvious opportunities.

Thoughts? I mean you really can't make a huddle and sing Kumbaya....

Just curious, what is the consensus best way to handle the disparity in talent which is so apparent in many HS matches. When you pull your starters 10 minutes in, do you put restrictions on the 2nd & 3rd strings?

What about keepers? Do you put them on an island with 3rd stringers and potentially subject them to injury on 1v1's. Or do you pull them too?

Isn't it almost as demeaning to pass the ball around looking like Spain and passing up obvious opportunities.

Thoughts? I mean you really can't make a huddle and sing Kumbaya....

Just for fun, let's add this into the equation: Let's say that in the last month, Team A has played three games because three games were forfeited. One game every 10 days. It's now state tournament time. The girls need to play live. Does that factor into a coaches decision making on PT, running the offense, etc?

Just for fun, let's add this into the equation: Let's say that in the last month, Team A has played three games because three games were forfeited. One game every 10 days. It's now state tournament time. The girls need to play live. Does that factor into a coaches decision making on PT, running the offense, etc?

The deer is dead after the first shot. There are a lot of words you could use to describe what you are doing thereafter

Edited by Canesoverhere

The deer is dead after the first shot. There are a lot of words you could use to describe what you are doing thereafter

Alrighty then.

Change the sporting world rule books...we're all going to 'golden goal' games.

First goal wins, everyone go home early. Whoop, Whoop, what fun that will be for all!!

Alrighty then.

Change the sporting world rule books...we're all going to 'golden goal' games.

First goal wins, everyone go home early. Whoop, Whoop, what fun that will be for all!!

Actually no. You see, personally, I don't hunt. I don't consider that sport. Man with a rifle vs a deer.

similarly, I don't see any sport in running a score up on a team without a defense or a goalie so that other teams can pound their chest with stats. Yes, this game was over a 1-0. You knew it, they knew it. The rest was just.....fun for you at the expense of another group of young ladies who don't have the years of club soccer other teams have.

Perhaps that should be the new high school soccer division. FCPO, for club players only. That way, all schools could compete with each other as long as they had like teams. Crazy thought? Yes, but it the cocktails people have been putting together to justify a double-digit win over a less privileged program certainly haven't impressed us either.

Actually no. You see, personally, I don't hunt. I don't consider that sport. Man with a rifle vs a deer.

similarly, I don't see any sport in running a score up on a team without a defense or a goalie so that other teams can pound their chest with stats. Yes, this game was over a 1-0. You knew it, they knew it. The rest was just.....fun for you at the expense of another group of young ladies who don't have the years of club soccer other teams have.

In the example I gave, their was no stat-padding. As you suggested, only 1 goal was added to any player's stats, and this was the only game of the season the particular winning team was anywhere close to a double-digit outcome vs an opponent...so there was no intent whatsoever to 'run up the score', and as explained by several earlier, much was done to limit the score, while still continuing the game.

There was no rifle nor no deer, and there was certainly no team "without a defense and without a goalie" as you claim. Team-B's defense and goalie worked very hard and very likely learned much and improved themselves for the next season. Interestingly, all of the players on the field for both teams were about the same age, and have had about the same number of years soccer experience since U-5. It's not like Team-B started playing soccer yesterday.

You really shouldn't patronize their hard work, effort or talent. They had a 16-2-2 record going into that Regional game (better than their opponent), so they had had a very successful season themselves, in their own right. Hardly a team of inexperienced players unaccustomed to winning games as you make them out to be in your deer scenerio.

Perhaps that should be the new high school soccer division. FCPO, for club players only. That way, all schools could compete with each other as long as they had like teams. Crazy thought? Yes, but it the cocktails people have been putting together to justify a double-digit win over a less privileged program certainly haven't impressed us either.

Since Team-B is the largest AAA school in the state, from the largest metro area in the state, it's kinda difficult for you to persuade folks to buy off on your notion they don't have the opportunity to compete or that they are somehow less privileged.

Nice try though.

Had Team-A been a large AAA School playing a small single-A school from somewhere extremely rural like Jamestown or Darden, then there might be a significant disparity in opportunity. But remember, the TSSAA sets the Regional alignments, and match the teams, so it's not like Team-A went out hunting a weak school to play in the post-season anyway.

If you seriously dislike games with scoring disparities, better stick with your 'golden goal' idea....at least it is consistent.

It would have worked nicely for the Miami Hurricanes last season verses Virginia...they could have stopped the game and been declared the winner after their first field goal, and prevented them from running the score up to 57 on the poor underprivileged players from Virginia. :}