Rocky Top League

BigOllie

Depends on how you measure "head and shoulders" - in the 2 dates I have watched so far, there have been alot of "me first" play, especially from those same Knoxville teams. It is a showcase though, so some of that is to be expected as players look to impress visiting coaches. Problem is, alot of those same coaches value "team" ball as much (and in many cases more) as pure athletic talent.

BTW, Fulton led team lost to Anderson Co led team and Sevier Co team took their game against the West/Bearden led team . . . things might be a little more even than first thought.

i think they have done a better job splitting teams up evenly this year than they did last season. this is only the 2nd year of the league and there are still some kinks that need to be worked out. this league will continue to get better and more competitive.

MMcCroskey, these leagues will always be ME, ME, ME. i wish this wasnt the case, but the same thing is happening with AAU.

i think they have done a better job splitting teams up evenly this year than they did last season. this is only the 2nd year of the league and there are still some kinks that need to be worked out. this league will continue to get better and more competitive.

MMcCroskey, these leagues will always be ME, ME, ME. i wish this wasnt the case, but the same thing is happening with AAU.

Nothing but thank you's all the way around for what they are doing to get these kid's added exposure!

It is just a fact of life that "scoring" will always lead the headlines - when's the last time a headline read "Smith wins the game with smart play" or the article reported that "Smith led all players with 4 charges". lol

That said, I know first hand that not all college coaches are looking for top scorers; some need defenders, rebounders, "head for the game" players, etc. Rocky Top and AAU are just GREAT additional outlets for that exposure, especially for those players that aren't top scorers, because players like that are only noticed over time (ya can't miss the guy scoring 30 points lol).

Things have a habit of working out as they should, and RTL is a BIG part of helping that happen for alot of kids.

They should be very proud of what they are accomplishing.

Edited by MMcCroskey

Team Pierson 87, Union County 68: Team Pierson -- Lester Wilson (Carter) 24pts,

Marcus Stanford (Knoxville Central) 16pts, Otis Littlejohn (Knoxville West) 12pts; Union County -- Chase Buckner (Union County) 17pts, Brad Baker (Union County) 12pts, Stetson Moore (Knoxville Halls) 11pts

Team Nabors 57, Team Lee 55: Team Nabors -- Zach Stinnett (Maryville) 13pts, Burton Sampson (Knoxville Webb) 10pts; Team Lee -- Lucas Branch (Knoxville Catholic) 12pts, Matt Cox (Knoxville Catholic) 11pts, Dalton Keck (CAK) 10pts.

Team Kimber 61, Blount County 47: Team Kimber: -- Brandon Lopez (Austin East) 23pts, Jaylen Allen (Science Hill) 19pts; Blount County -- Matt Shown (Alcoa) 13pts

Tri-Cities 75, Cumberland/Roane County 56: Tri-Cities -- Dustin Clarke (Avery County) 15pts, Zach Garland (David Crockett) 15pts; Cumberland/Roane -- Cory Billingsley (Sweetwater) 20pts, Blake Rowan (Stone Memorial) 14pts, Jethro Griffin (Sequoyah) 10pts.

Anderson County 62, Team Naler 57: Anderson County -- Ross Cannon (Anderso County) 12pts, Jon McCroskey (Gatlinburg-Pittman) 10pts; Team Naler -- Galen Campbell (Fulton) 30pts, Jaeland Lawson (Fulton) 10pts.

Sevier County 63, Team Johnson 57: Sevier County -- Morrease Barber (Gatlinburg-Pittman) 20pts, Jose Agosto (Gatlinburg-Pittman) 14pts; Team Johnson -- Phillip Stanford (Knoxville West) 17pts, DeQuan Wright (Bearden) 15pts, Carson Brooks (Knoxville West) 12pts.

Players will be off this weekend but will resume action Sept. 11.

SCHEDULE

Sept. 11 at Alcoa

9 a.m. -- Team Nabors vs. Sevier County

10 a.m. -- Anderson County vs. Union County

11 a.m. -- Cumberland County vs. Team Smith

Noon -- Blount County vs. Team Naler

1 -- Tri-Cities vs. Team Johnson

2 -- Team Kimber vs. Team Pierson

• 2 weeks later...

Week 3 Results at Alcoa HS:

Sevier County 85

Team Nabors 79

Jose Agosto (Gatlinburg-Pittman) bagged 24 points and Skylar Brown (Seymour) added 20 as Sevier County scored their second consecutive victory with a 85-79 win over Team Nabors. JuJuan Williams (Knoxville West) led five players in double digits for Team Nabors with 25 points. Oteriah Lee (CAK) and Dion Fair (Bearden) notched 12 apiece and Tucker Parkerson (Lenoir City) ands Tres Palmer (Powell) both added 10. Morrease "The Butcher" Barber (Gatlinburg-Pittman) and Kurt Brooks (Cocke County) added 10 points each in the win.

Anderson County 85

Union County 78

Alan Holt (Anderson County) and Ross Cannon (Anderson County) scored 19 and 18 respectively leading Anderson County to a hard fought 85-78 victory over Union County. Anderson County held a substantial lead before Stetson Moore (Knoxville Halls) started bombing away from all corners of the Alcoa High School gym, the slender sophomore finished with a game high 26 points, including six three's. Jon McCroskey (Gatlinburg-Pittman) finished with 12 points for the winners. Ethan Abner (Clinton) added 10. Phillip Cox (Union County) added 17 points in the loss, while Chase Buckner (Union County) and Nick Litton (Campbell County) each added 11 points.

Team Lee 64

Cumberland/Roane County 58

Emery Naler (Cak) got hot early and continued his torrid pace finishing with a game high 22 points and leading Team Lee to a 64-58 victory over a scrappy Cumberland/Roane County squad. Naler was assisted in the scoring column by rising junior Aaron Wheeler (Morristown East) who finished with 11 points. Cory Billingsley (Sweetwater) led Cumberland/Roane with 14 points, Brock Rowan (Stone Memorial) added 13.

Team Naler 89

Blount County 68

Galen Campbell (Fulton) obliterated the Pilot Rocky Top High School Fall League scoring record draining 45 points and leading Team Naler to an 89-68 win over Blount County. Campbell came out "en fuego" hitting his first three shots, all of them threes, and never let up. Jaeland Lawson (Fulton) chipped in with 16 points in his best game in the league thus far. Kaseem Davidson (Oak Ridge) and Phillip Stephens (Knoxville Catholic) added 11 and 10 respectively. Cody Malicotte (Jellico) led Blount County with 15 points. Matt Shown (Alcoa) and Landon Hilton (Lenoir City) added 13 points each and Ryan Rice (William Blount) pitched in with 11 in the tough loss.

Team Johnson 77

Tri-Cities 68

Five players dropped double digits, led by Calvin Walker (Knoxville West) with 15, as Team Johnson knocked off Tri-Cities 77-68. Spencer Peake (Bearden) added 13, while Will Winton (Bearden) and Phillip "Tookie" Stanford (Knoxville West) each finished with 12 points in the win. Carson Brooks (Knoxville West) added 10 points and snatched numerous offensive caroms in the crucial ending moments of the contest. Logan Lyle (Unicoi County) finished with 19 points for Tri-Cities, while Dustin Clarke (North Carolina) added 18 points in the loss. Zach Garland (David Crockett) chipped in with 10 in the loss.

Team Kimber 59

Team Pierson 53

Jaylen Allen (Science Hill) finished with 28 points and a gaggle of offensive rebounds and put backs helping keep Team Kimber on the unbeaten path as they slipped past Team Pierson 59-53. Allen was always the man in the right place as Team Pierson held an early double digit lead behind some sterling inside/outside play of rising junior Drew Standifer (Bearden). The 6-5 combo forward was devastating dropping short jumpers, grabbing tough boards and finishing with a two-handed yoke as Team Pierson clung to their lead. Standifer would finish with 14 points. Allen imposed his will late coming up with crucial offensive boards and helping take the lead late and controlling the game from that point. Brandon Lopez (Austin East) finished with 11 points and Shannon Hale (Science Hill) added 10 points in the close victory. Dre Mattheiu (Knoxville Central) added 11 points for Team Pierson.

Week #4 saw a little movement in the scoring race, with some new additions welcoming themselves into the fold.

Galen Campbell (Fulton) 34.8

Lester Wilson (Carter) 29.0

Jaylen Allen (Science Hill) 22.5

Dustin Clarke (North Carolina) 16.8

Logan Lyle (Unicoi County) 16.8

Phillip Cox (Union County) 16.7

Jose Agosto (Gatlinburg-Pittman) 16.5

Brandon Lopez (Austin East) 16.5

Alan Holt (Anderson County) 15.3

Rico White (Bearden) 15.0

Chase Buckner (Union County) 14.8

Jaeland Lawson (Fulton) 14.0

Ross Cannon (Anderson County) 13.8

Stetson Moore (Knoxville Halls) 13.8

Cody Malicotte (Blount County) 13.3

Morrease Barber (Gatlinburg-Pittman) 13.0

JuJuan Williams (Knoxville West) 13.0

Cory Billingsley (Sweetwater) 12.8

Phillip Stanford (Knoxville West) 12.8

Brock Rowan (Stone Memorial) 12.5

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday's games were awesome. I want to say a BIG Thank You to Andre and all of his family and helpers for the high school Rocky Top league. People always want to throw rocks at the "unapproved website" but tell me someone that spends as much time watching,studying,promoting, and getting to know these kids. As a parent I want to say what you do is appreciated by alot of us.

Please keep your love of high school basketball and continue to help these young men kind their way through not only high school but college also.To get to college you have to get your name out there,and you do that for so many kids that could not do it on their own.

Thanks for a great league!!

• Upvote 1

Saturday's games were awesome. I want to say a BIG Thank You to Andre and all of his family and helpers for the high school Rocky Top league. People always want to throw rocks at the "unapproved website" but tell me someone that spends as much time watching,studying,promoting, and getting to know these kids. As a parent I want to say what you do is appreciated by alot of us.

Please keep your love of high school basketball and continue to help these young men kind their way through not only high school but college also.To get to college you have to get your name out there,and you do that for so many kids that could not do it on their own.

Thanks for a great league!!

I want to throw in bigtime with BigOllie . . . both this site AND Andre Whitehead's site are the best resources in TN for men's basketball coverage! In my opinion they compliment each other perfectly, with very little overlap.

It would be nice to see both sites cooperate, all things considered, but since the thread discussing the state rankings was pulled from this site, I must assume there is not a "spirit of cooperation." If true, that is regrettable.

Still, a BIG thank you to both Coach T and Andre Whitehead for ALL you both do to help these kids get exposure!