Oak Ridge Update

orcat

I am starting to have doubts about our programs direction. Some of our girls play with the girls on Morristown West. West beat us early and then played again in our early bird tourney where they lost to Anderson County in the finals of the silver bracket.

They played AC yesterday at the Pick of Dixie and the West girls said AC was a different team. Aggressive, they attacked every ball, and cut down on the rookie errors. They did not think we could beat AC.

I say that because we have more talent and experience that AC who starts 4 sophs as hitters. They are getting better each week, alot better, and we are not. We are getting worse.

The high school schedule is alot harder than club, and the individual games mean more. Coach Smith (our old coach) now at AC came from AC. She talked all of the time about "pride" and "tradition" and "the importance of respecting the game and the program" none of that gets talked about now.

Every year we think that this is our break through year and every year AC finishes at the top of the pack. Every year 3 or 4 of their girls go on to play college, then become coaches. Ours don't. What are they doing?

When Harshbarger left we thought they would step back. Coach Wade took them back to the state finals. Now that she is gone we thought they would take a step back but they are right back in the mix with coach Smith.

Look at how they influence Karns. Karns never won anything until Coach Seviers came. Where did she play, AC. Where did the setter's mom play, AC.

I am still frustrated because this is not club. These games matter. It is more than doing a drill to learn a skill.

This was a championship year, and now I have my doubts.

Orcat -- your assumptions and guesses are wrong again! Coach Severs is an excellent addition to the Karns coaching staff, but I think Linda would be the first to tell you that Coach Williams is the leader of this team. Since Coach Williams took over at Karns in 2002, she has recorded 6 District Championships, 4 Regional Championships, and just surpassed the 400 win mark. She was also named Coach of the Year for District 3-AAA in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2009.

Before Coach Williams there was Coach Terri Gilbert (who played at Karns and ETSU) who also led Karns to a number of District and Regional Champions and one state appearance.

And by the way, I didn't play at Anderson County! I played for Norris High School under Coach Rita Hackler and UTK under Coach Bob Bertucci.

Karns MOM of Twins -- SETTER (#6) and OUTSIDE HITTER (#12) and a future Lady Beaver!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what they don't say is that she has a LOSING record against the areas powere programs, ie.. Anderson County, Farragut, Oak Ridge and Catholic.

Karns better live the dream now, cause the ride ends after this season.

Orcat -- If she's won six District titles in 8 years, that means that Oak Ridge DIDN'T win 6 of the last 8 years.

With 4 Region titles, in 8 years -- that means she beat Farragut and Oak Ridge for that title four of the last 8 years. I've personally witnessed 2 District titles and 2 Regional titles -- oh yeah, and a trip to state last year.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the AC vs. Karns record or Catholic vs. Karns -- since they were playing in a different division. In the last four years, I've only seen Karns play Catholic once (a loss), and AC just moved to District 3-AAA last year.

I am enjoying this season. Karns has a great bunch of girls; a wonderful, caring coach; and a great group of parents and fans supporting the team.

ORCAT, If you think you have it bad then you should be at Farragut this year. We are taking our hits! Keep your head up! Karns and AC are the best ive seen this year. Both teams are great kids and are looking forward to the next few weeks!

I give Farragut a lot of credit- watching them during the Tandem- those gals were having so much fun! Brentwood got frustrated and made mistakes. We really got a kick out of their being excited about 'luck' shots. They nearly beat Brentwood- by just fluke hits and wild dives. They were relaxed and it showed. They will come back with hard work and family support.

Announcements