DII-A West 2010

Trojan Fan

It's very early but a good early barometer is a West 1/West 2 battle tonight between ECS and St. George's. ECS lost a good bit of size though they're still bigger than most of the DII-A in the West. They didn't lose the Jamison cousins, though, and that athleticism is leading them this year under the new coaching staff. They're spreading it out and getting to the edge running and throwing and still clearly look to be the class of West 1.

My guess, at this point, is that SBEC and Bishop Byrne will battle for the cellar. Byrne lost their top weapon from last year and so far hasn't inspired. SBEC lost a huge senior class and went from having average to above average size to being downright tiny for their class....lost some skill weapons as well giving their new coach and handful of seniors a real challenge this year. I'm not sure that Harding is that much better than last year but they appear to be somewhat improved. As green as they were last year it was bound to happen. I think they'll fight FACS for 2nd place. The Crusaders lost some good ones, too, and also have a new coach (good grief, fruit basket turnover with the coaches)but I think they might be in a little better shape than SBEC/Byrne.

St. George's is throwing the ball this year. Holy cow, what's up with Ken Netherland?! From all indications their personnel seems to suit that more this year and perhaps isn't suited specifically to the power running game. They have a good bit of personnel back this year. The game tonight should give us a good idea of where they stand even though the two teams are in separate districts.

University School of Jackson came into the season as the favorite in West 2. Nothing I've seen or heard so far would sway me from that opinion though a great showing tonight by SGIS could do that. They seem to be a little bit down from last year (kind of like ECS) but relative to everybody else they still seem to be the class of their division.

Right now, I'd say Jackson Christian will battle SGIS for 2nd place behind USJ. They had a solid squad last year that sputtered here and there but had some really good stretches w/ a season that ended in ingloriously in a mud bath at Fayette Academy. I think they pass Fayette this year for 3rd place and possibly 2nd. Fayette and SBEC go at it tonight in a West 1/2 matchup that should give us a little bit more of an indicator of what Fayette's got.

TRA gave SBEC a good game in week 1 but in a down year for SBEC that doesn't bode well for TRA's chances this year. I'd say they battle Rossville Christian for the cellar in West 2 again this year. Those 2 schools have played some very entertaining ball the last few years and particularly against each other. Hoping to see a breakthrough for one or the other at some point the next few years. Size and resources makes it tough for these guys though TRA's complex that was put in a place a couple of years ago should really help them sustain and grow. They did a fantastic job out there. Reinforce those visitor's bleachers and we're all set. :)

Alright folks, tell me where I'm wrong. Anybody care to take a stab at East/Middle? I'll be happy to change the thread title.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good start to the thread - I always look forward to your posts, Trojan.

Lots of questions will be answered starting next week. USJ plays St. George's, ECS, and Jackson Christian in a 3 week stretch. Lots of young guys that are going to have to step up. After tough win at Trinity in week 1, convincing win at Fayette last week, and what should be an easy win tonight against Jackson Central Merry, they will have 3 games under their belt - it should be fun.

Until I am proved differently, if ECS is anywhere near as big as they were last year, I would say they are the favorites, followed by USJ, and then JCS/St. George.

I think the general consensus here is pretty accurate. ECS seems to be the best team this year with USJ ahead of everyone else as well. St. George's looks strong too though and could potentially upset USJ. USJ has better depth and a better running game from last year but is inexperienced. I think JCS might actually be down from last year based on early scores. Tonight against TCA will be a good indicator IMO.

Edited by KublahKD

Until I am proved differently, if ECS is anywhere near as big as they were last year, I would say they are the favorites, followed by USJ, and then JCS/St. George.

I think Webb proved last season in the semi-finals that size isn't always what makes the difference. ECS probably outweighed Webb by 50-60 lbs. per man in both lines. The difference in that game was desire and speed. Webb wanted it more which was supported by how hard they went each and every play and didn't back down. As for speed, I don't think ECS saw the kind of speed Webb had their entire season. I believe they really weren't prepared for it at all. Not only were all of Webb's RBs very quick and fast, their entire defense, especially LBs and DBs, were fast too.

To some extent the same thing (desire & speed) happened in the championship game against USJ where Webb's DBs completely shut down the USJ passing attack while handling their run game as well. Pressure by Webb's DEs caused the USJ QB problems too.

As for the Middle/East... the 3 best teams are Davidson Academy, DCA and Webb. Going to be a war between those 3 teams the last 2 weeks of the season. Looking forward to see how the season shakes out!

Looks like St. George proved differently tonight. Scoreboard shows they beat ECS by 1 point tonight. Sets up a big one next week. Last I heard JCS was beating a good Trinity team tonight so they may be someone to deal with before the year is over.

To some extent the same thing (desire & speed) happened in the championship game against USJ where Webb's DBs completely shut down the USJ passing attack while handling their run game as well. Pressure by Webb's DEs caused the USJ QB problems too.

As for the Middle/East... the 3 best teams are Davidson Academy, DCA and Webb. Going to be a war between those 3 teams the last 2 weeks of the season. Looking forward to see how the season shakes out!

Good post. Now that Justin is back, DA has a lot of hope. Blaine Bishop on the D does not hurt any at all. We are thankful for his dedication to the kids. Beating DCA like that was big for the team to return after losing so many seniors.

So happy to see St George coming back. Miss those battles a lot. DA and SG have a history of great ball. Need SBEC FACS and HARDING to step up. We miss that great atmosphere as well. We miss Memphis.

DII

Edited by DIVISIONII

Webb is the obvious favorite in the East/Middle this year. I heard they even beat Maryville in a scrimmige is there any truth to that? I'd say DCA is the 2nd best team in the East/Middle even though they lost to Davidson. They played at Davidson and dug their own grave turning the ball over 4 times and fumbling the game winning field goal on Davidson's 10 yard line. Also they held Williams to 150 yards. Davidson is still a contender though for the region championship, they are playing good ball since the win and Williams is back and looks impressive. FRA might be able to pull off a couple of upsets but i don't see them being near as good and the big 3 listed above. As stated earlier the last 2 weeks of the season is going to be very exciting.

Fayette Academy is now 0-3 on the year but the team is not giving up at all. I saw where they played University of Jackson last week and lost 28-0 but they probubly played the best quarterback they will see all year. Tonight they traveled to SBEC and lost a tough one 17-6. Looks like fayette academy gave up 2 big runs and that was the difference of the game. Brandon Tucker Fayette Academy football coach will have his team not giving up and playing all 4 quarters on this young football season. Division 2 west is tough.

St. Georges edges ECS tonight 27-26.

Good post. Now that Justin is back, DA has a lot of hope. Blaine Bishop on the D does not hurt any at all. We are thankful for his dedication to the kids. Beating DCA like that was big for the team to return after losing so many seniors.

Completely agree... DA is going to be tough to beat and will have a lot to say about who advances out of the Middle/East. Really looking forward to seeing DA at Webb later this year.

Webb is the obvious favorite in the East/Middle this year. I heard they even beat Maryville in a scrimmige is there any truth to that?...

You can say Webb would be the favorite in the East/Middle but DA, DCA and possibly FRA are right there too. It's true Webb beat Maryville in a scrimmage 4 scores to 2 but it was a scrimmage. Obviously impressive but not a real indication of how a real game would end up. Webb is dressing 40 players after graduating a huge senior class from last year and their depth is razor thin so injuries to key positions would really change things for them. They had an impressive win last night invoking the mercy rule on 5A Knox Halls early in the 3rd quarter. They have FRA this week at Webb which will be a tough game based on what I'm hearing about FRA's team this year.