DII-A West 2010

Trojan Fan

Trojan - always enjoy your posts and your insights.

What happens in the West if JCS happens to get by St. George's and a three way tie ?

Non-district Div II games only or all non district games? That would seem to penalize JCS by playing the big boys - Milan and Crockett.

You are most kind. This is a great division with great kids, coaches, and schools and some great life instruction happening....and I can assure you it's not just the kids who are learning. I feel blessed to get to enjoy it.

Here's what the TSSAA says in their handbook (see below). It appears that overall record (after head to head record) is the first tiebreak regardless of who you played. I know SBEC is about to play Pillow Academy from the MAIS on Thursday and I wonder if that's going to bite them at playoff time. Pillow is awfully tough. Playing those two tough squads could bite JCS as well in a potential tiebreak. Who knows, though?....could put them in a matchup that sets them up perfectly to succeed.

For the purpose of district/region standings, the following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular season games, both district/region and non-district/non-region, shall count. If at any point when the following tiebreaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others. After any position in the district/region standings has been determined, the tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again to determine the next position. This procedure shall be repeated to determine all places in the district/region.

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.

2. The team who plays the greatest number of team who win 50 percent or more of their games.

3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.

4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.

6. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in its own class.

7. Ten yard-line overtime procedure at neutral site Monday night at 7:30 P.M.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayers going out this morning to ECS and the tragic death of their student who was on the golf team, and for the 3 kids on the football team that were injured in the wreck. This really hits home that football (or any sport) is a game and it is just devastating to lose one of ours, and when it comes down to it, they are ALL ours if they attend our school or not. God's peace.

Prayers going out this morning to ECS and the tragic death of their student who was on the golf team, and for the 3 kids on the football team that were injured in the wreck. This really hits home that football (or any sport) is a game and it is just devastating to lose one of ours, and when it comes down to it, they are ALL ours if they attend our school or not. God's peace.

Prayers sent.

Tough, tough week for ECS. After the death of golfer Luke Pruett, they came in missing OL starter Hunter Cooper and starting WR Grayson McComb both injured in the car accident that took Pruett's life. On top of that, QB Will Jamison and LB/TB Davis Childers were already out of the starting lineup due to injury. They stepped up into DII-AA to play CBHS and came out on the bad end of a tough 14-6 loss to the Brothers. Salute to the Eagles for playing through a lot of pain (both physical and emotional) and giving the Purple Wave a great game. They'll move back into district play next week against FACS in a big West 1 game for both squads.

The Crusaders lost a tough one to Fayette Academy, 13-10, in a non-district game that both gives FACS concern heading into next week's big district game against ECS and major encouragement for the Vikings as they head into a must-win West 2 game against district rival Tipton Rosemark. That has the makings of a good one and it could well eliminate the loser from playoff competition. I love this matchup. It should be a hard-nosed physical battle in the trenches. High drama just off Hwy 64 on Friday night.

SBEC headed to the Mississippi Delta to play Greenwood's Pillow Academy, ranked #3 in Mississippi's top private school division. Generally speaking that class school is equivalent to the size of the bigger DII-A schools in Tennessee. SBEC nearly pulled off the upset losing 31-28 in a heartbreaker on a 4th and 1 controversial incompletion at the Pillow 40 with about 1:30 left. It was a big offensive show for the Trojans who have begun to light it up through the air in recent weeks. An off week looms.

Bishop Byrne will face Harding in a West 1 district battle next week as the Lions took the week off. The Red Knights faced a USJ onslaught giving up 41 in the 1st quarter in an eventual 55-0 Bruin win. It's a tough year for a proud Byrne program but we've not seen much dropoff from a talented USJ squad that lost some key players from lsat year's squad.

University School of Jackson will celebrate homecoming hosting West 2 opponent Rossville Christian next week who took the week off this week. USJ looks to hold on to 2nd place in West 2 w/ a win.

St. George's also comes off an off week this week and will host also rested Jackson Christian in the spotlight game of the week which doubles as a big West 2 district matchup. SGIS looks to remain undefeated and a game up on USJ while the Eagles look to vault themselves into contention for a top 2 spot in West 2 with an upset of the division leading Gryphons. Fireworks through the air in store for this one?...or will we see SGIS go to the ground like USJ did against JCS?

Edited by Trojan Fan

West 2

St. George's 4-0 (TRA,USJ,Fayette,JCS)

USJ 3-1 (Fayette,JCS,Rossville)

Jackson Christian 2-2(Rossville,TRA)

Fayette Academy 2-2 (Rossville,TRA)

Tipton Rosemark 1-3 (Rossville)

Rossville Christian 0-4

St. George’s took the 35-21 win over JCS to clinch the West 2 crown and first round playoff bye regardless of what happens in their last division game vs. Rossville Christian. St. George’s stopped a last gasp Eagles drive and then converted one last TD to nail down the victory. The Gryphons are no strangers to tight wins picking up close victories over ECS, SBEC, USJ, and now JCS to remain undefeated. The Rossville Wolves were eliminated from playoff contention as USJ took them down convincingly on Friday night. The Bruins nail down a playoff spot and a first round home game that comes with the #2 division spot. They’ve beaten the only 2 teams that could tie them in the standings.

Who are those 2? Fayette Academy and Jackson Christian will once again battle the last Friday of the regular season for the final playoff spot from West 2. Last year’s Mud Bowl (West TN was nasty last year on that last Friday…lots of mud games that week) went Fayette’s way. Looks like we’ll get to see the JCS aerial attack vs. the Fayette ground game that accounted for over 300 yds in their win over TRA this week. The Rebels have been eliminated from playoff contention. We’ll just have to wait another week for the Viking/Eagle matchup.

West 1

ECS 3-0 (SBEC,Byrne,FACS)

SBEC 2-1 (Byrne,Harding)

Harding 2-1 (FACS,Byrne)

FACS 1-2 (Byrne)

Bishop Byrne (0-4)

ECS rolled FACS convincingly on Friday. It appears that we’re seeing a good passing game develop for the Eagles to complement their speedy running game. Not good news for everybody else especially if they get completely healthy by season’s end. The Eagles are definitely a playoff team now but still need a win over the Harding Lions the last week of the season to clinch the #1 seed and the playoff bye. A Harding upset could give the Lions the division crown w/ an accompanying SBEC loss to FACS or it could leave a 3 way tie b/w ECS, SBEC, and Harding with overall record becoming the tiebreaker.

Nothing we’ve seen so far would lead you to believe Harding would beat ECS but that’s why they play the games.

SBEC and FACS will be playing the last weekend for a playoff spot as well. After next week, we’ll revisit the standings with overall records, etc. involved to give some what-if scenarios. One thing is for sure. FACS must beat SBEC to make the playoffs. SBEC might have to beat FACS to get in as well if they lose to USJ next Friday. A loss there and to FACS would cost them based on overall record in a 3 way tie vs. Harding and FACS.

Trojan Fan: Who do you think is playing the best ball in the West right now? It looks like both ECS and USJ have improved from earlier this year, and St. George's probably has also.

Before last night, I'd have said either ECS or USJ and given ECS a little "potential" boost based on injuries (see my post in the other thread). St. George's, while undefeated, has played multiple tight games and just doesn't seem physically imposing yet they're awfully tough at every position. Last night they obviously blew the doors off FACS. That was an attention getter. If they head into the playoffs with confidence and clicking then it goes back to more or less a wash....and while all 3 are well coached I make no secret of admiring what Ken Netherland has done in his career and particularly spreading his offense out a bit this year to take advantage of his strengths.

I say all that to come back to the conclusion that they're all 3 good clubs and so, so close...too close to say at this point. Truly, the draws they get and how they matchup against other teams will play a big role in how far they progress in the playoffs. I think all 3 can beat anybody in DII-A yet none of the 3 are so dominant in every phase of the game that they can't be upset by a team that's less accomplished.

One upset in the West last night. Harding got a big win over Jackson Christian 33-20 that, while not a division game, gave the Lions a boost to their overall record that clinched a playoff berth for them based on potential tiebreakers. The JCS Eagles lost a tough one but they find themselves no worse off with their playoff hopes. The winner of the JCS/Fayette game in Jackson next Friday will be the 3rd place team from West 2 and earn a playoff berth to go on the road somewhere to the east. Fayette took their lumps against ECS 42-7 in a dominating Eagles win w/ 5 more TD passes from their soph QB.

West 2 is pretty much done. St. George’s has clinched the #1 seed and will have a playoff bye. University School of Jackson has the #2 slot sewed up and the Bruins will be at home hosting a lower seeded East/Middle team in the 1st round. As noted above, Fayette and JCS will decide the #3 slot and the last playoff spot on Friday in Jackson.

West 1 is up in the air. The 4 teams still in it play one of the other 4 on Friday. ECS and Harding go at it. The winner will be the division champ and get a bye in the playoffs. Harding lost earlier to SBEC but the Lions would have the tiebreaker over ECS with a win over the Eagles. Let’s see, we’ve got Eagles vs. Lions while St. George’s is the Gryphons, a mythical Eagle/Lion mix. Do they get creativity points or can we call them double mascot thiefs??! :)

Back to West 1. ECS and Harding are in for sure based on tiebreaker scenarios as best I can determine. I welcome corrections. SBEC/FACS is for a playoff spot.

Here are the scenarios:

ECS and SBEC win:

1.ECS 2. SBEC 3. Harding

ECS and FACS win:

1.ECS 2. Harding (hth winner over FACS after Hardin and FACS win best overall tiebreaker) 3. FACS

Harding and FACS win:

1.Harding (would have hth over ECS) 2. ECS 3. FACS (would have hth over SBEC)

Harding and SBEC win:

1. Harding (would have best overall record b/w the 3) 2. ECS (hth over SBEC) 3. SBEC

Edited by Trojan Fan