Big Games in Memphis

kwc

That's a fair enough point in general. However, the Briarcrest/Kingsbury game showed a lot from both teams. That game tells quite a bit...

My post was a response to a post by GoChiefs, a Craigmont fan, and pertained to Craigmont only, more specifically, their defense; Kingsbury scored only 14 against Craigmont whereas they scored 38 and 36 pts

respectively against BA and BHS. Go back and read the entire thread and it should be clear. I didn't see much insight to be gained by this particular comparison, as the BA game was not close and that changed the game mechanics enormously. Was this an implication that Craigmont's defense is better than BA's? I hope not. However you could ARGUE that it's better than BHS' since that game was NOT a blowout. Fortunately, in a very rare situation, these 2 teams actually get to settle it on the playing field on October 1st.

When you read all of GoChiefs' posts, I sense that he is subtly lobbying for Craigmont to replace Melrose in the Dandy Dozen. That may happen if Melrose loses this week.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very impressed with Baker's punting. I was curious as to why #23 didn't run the ball more against SP. He seems to have decent speed and much more size and strength than the other RB, which could have been better. However, I will say that most any team will have trouble running the ball vs SP.

MUS only tried 10 or so running plays against S Panola. They obviously thought (correctly so) that they couldn't run the ball so they TRIED speed over size/strength. #23 is Landon Finney, son of an MUS football coach, who does have decent size (6'2" 200 lbs) and speed. I believe he was a receiver last year. The other 2 backs (Baty 5'8" 160 and VanHook 5'10" 155) do get most of the carries perhaps because they do have better quickness and speed. In 2008 and 2009 McBride was 6'0" 215 lbs and one of top sprinters in the state. MUS has 2 current track team sprinters (Luttell and Rantzow) on the ROSTER but not playing (injured).

This will be a defining game for MUS. They are really quite "down" compared to the last 2 years. Anybody with a decent running game potentially can make hay. On the other hand, MUS' running game, despite the big line, has not shown well so far. MUS' passing game might have a slight edge. Turnovers as usual will be critical. Also, which OB team shows up - the one that lost to Cocoa FL by 7 or the one BA trashed last weekend in Nashville. I don't think OB wants to go 1-3....By the way, does anybody know anything about the rumor that OB trashed the visitor's locker room at BA???

MUS 14 OB 25 4th quarter. Turnovers have been critical and OB is winning that battle. MUS gave up a 35 yd TD pass on the last play of the 1st half and fumbled the ball away with 1st and goal at the 7. OB as expected is running the ball well against the porous MUS defense. Owls look like "pretenders not contenders" in 2010.

The Melrose Golden wildcats roared back from a 36-19 halftime deficit to defeat Mitchell 48-42. The reported demise of the 2010 Golden Wildcats has been exaggerated. We're not dead yet!

Big Props to Melrose for not quitting @ halftime, as Mitchell sliced and diced Melrose's porous secondary, en route to a dominating performance and convincing lead. Melrose looked 100% incapable of slowing down Mitchell, let alone climbing back from the brink of "death" and pulling out a rousing come-back victory.

Wow. That was one very entertaining and very, very LONG game (ended well after 10 pm) !!

-----------------------------

OMW (and Visionaire),

While I'm still not completely sold on Melrose, I will concede that they have improved markedly since I saw them earlier. Kudos the the Golden Wildcats. :thumb:

Here is how I'd grade Melrose:

--------------------------------------------

Run offense: B+ (old grade D)

Pass offense: B- (old grade C-)

Run defense: B- (old grade D)

Pass defense: D- (old grade C)

Kicking game: C (old grade F)

Discipline: D (old grade F)

Melrose's offense has improved immensely. They seem to have made a lot of key personnel changes, offensively (noteably, MUCH greater use of #2 and #4 and #8), since the beginning of the season. Heck, they even kicked several extra-points!!!! Defensively, however, they still have a long ways to go--particularly versus the pass.... They are still too penalty prone. Nontheless, I will give Melrose credit for having improved versus the run.

While Melrose's overall performance vs Mitchell was remarkable, its performance (next week) vs unbeaten Ridgeway will provide the definitive gauge of the true depth of Melrose's improvement, IMHO.

----------------------------------------------

Sad Note: Mitchell's RB, Artaves Gibson, re-injured his knee during 1st or 2nd qtr.

Artaves' injury appeared to have occurred just as he got bumped while making a simple, innocent-looking cut-back. It really did not look good, at all! He was hobbling pretty badly and never returned to the game.... Hopefully Mr. Gibson will be alright and that his injury merely looked worse than actuality.

Edited by TraderB

What happend to Trent Johnson at CBHS ? I heard he tore his acl and is out for the season ? Did he tear it in practice?

Does it matter? Either way he Is out for the year. I hope he has a complete recovery and is able to use his scholly to southern miss. The injury bug has made a home at cbhs this year. Lots of injuries to a team Many thought could win a state title this year. I am sure Coach Locastro will continue to make adjustments and his team will be ready when they visit MIllington next week.

Go Trojans!

Not true. I could care less about being in the DD. Only number I am concerned about is the one in the loss column.

OK. Then your post in the "Dandy Dozen" thread taking a "dig" at Melrose is a little puzzling. I quote you:

"I find it strange that Melrose wins one game and all of a sudden they are #10....one or two teams in every

poll that gets ranked by their name and not how good they actually are"

What you say about polls is true, but usually only early in the season. As far as that "number" in the loss

column, to be fair you must consider it in the context of whom you have played. By the way, there's nothing wrong with wanting your team to be in the DD or any other poll....

Craigmont put up 33 and 56 on very bad teams. They put up only 21 against Kingsbury (Brentwood, MUS, and Briaircrest scored 30+ on Kingsbury). Craigmont still has a lot to prove. Cordova is always at least well coached...

A bad Houston (though they have a solid o-line) put up 17 on Ridgeway. A solid Corrieville can score a little more...

Ridgeway 35 ... Collierville ... 0

Whitehaven 19 ... CBHS ... 10

Like I said before the games were played. Those predictions of CBHS and Collierville putting up 20 something or 30 something points against the Ridegway or Whitehaven defenses were W A Y too high.