6A Playoff Standings

randymc

First off, I know it's a little premature, but it will be interesting to keep up with this throughout the next 6 weeks. 1 of the 2-2 teams would be left out, but I will list everyone with the last qualifying record until we get a few weeks closer to the playoffs.

Automatic Qualifiers (1st or 2nd in their District) Listed Alphabetically

Arlington

Bearden

Brentwood

Coffee Co

Cookeville

Dickson Co

Dobyns-Bennett

Franklin

Hardin Valley

John Overton

McGavock

Oakland

Smyrna

Soddy Daisy

Whitehaven

Wooddale

Wildcards (Listed by overall record)

Bradley Central (4-1)

Riverdale (4-1)

Science Hill (4-1)

Blackman (4-1)

Brighton (4-1)

Maryville (3-1)

Franklin Co (3-1)

Mt. Juliet (3-1)

Millington (3-1)

Sevier Co (3-2)

Heritage (3-2)

Southwind (2-2)

Oak Ridge (2-2)

Collierville (2-2)

Farragut (2-2)

Ooltewah (2-2)

Germantown (2-2)

Let's hear your thoughts.

Edited by randymc

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The system is broke. Should 6A teams be permitted to pad their schedules with "weak sisters" and teams from lower classes? The good teams are having to play each other (it is great to see Brentwood v Oakland, Riverdale v Farragut, or Smyrna v Ensworth), but give me a break when that win counts as much as Blackman playing the Station Camp Cupcakes or Siegel playing Hillsboro. They need to not count wins against lower division teams. Regions should only have teams from the same classification. I know sometimes you cannot know for sure how strong a team may be two years down the road but some teams really had cakewalks into the playoffs (I don't think Blackman had two wins over winning teams last year, their schedule this year is maybe even weaker).

The system is broke. Should 6A teams be permitted to pad their schedules with "weak sisters" and teams from lower classes? The good teams are having to play each other (it is great to see Brentwood v Oakland, Riverdale v Farragut, or Smyrna v Ensworth), but give me a break when that win counts as much as Blackman playing the Station Camp Cupcakes or Siegel playing Hillsboro. They need to not count wins against lower division teams. Regions should only have teams from the same classification. I know sometimes you cannot know for sure how strong a team may be two years down the road but some teams really had cakewalks into the playoffs (I don't think Blackman had two wins over winning teams last year, their schedule this year is maybe even weaker).

You know I agree with you....Last year OHS lost 2 overtime games, and was playing an 9-1 team in the 1st round. I wish they would seed the top 8 teams somehow, to separate them, regardless of travel, but for regular season I think it will be a long time before you see regions spread out that much. I actually would like a 4 class system in all sports....but we know that will never happen.

i do agree that blackman's schedule is not as strong as oaklands, riverdale, or smyrna...but in NO WAY agree that blackman had a cake walk into the playoffs last year ...we were 9-1 in the regular season with wins over riverdale, brentwood and smyrna...only loss in regular season vs. oakland! this year blackman will play blackman vs symrna (# 1 team in state), blackman vs. oakland-# 2 or #3, blackman vs riverdale-# 6 and blackman vs brentwood # 8 or so...it will all work out in the wash but even if we end up 6-4...we still deserve playoff spot because of the district we play in and we could be district champions in many other 6A districts...we could say that oakland's schedule is not as tough as last year too...ensworth is not very strong this year...independence is terrible...siegel pretty weak...lincoln county is weak...lavergne is terrible...that 5 pretty weak teams on your schedule this year...so we have 6 weak teams and you have 5 weak teams...your post is sort of like the pot calling the kettle black...just let it play out and enjoy the ride!

What happens when a 6A team's biggest money making game is against a team from 5A, 4A or lower, do they drop that if it doesn't count (or even hurts) relating to playoff qualifying?

The teams are playing teams within their own classifications, A, AA, AAA, they're just divided for playoffs. It's definitely true some have easier paths to get into the postseason but those non qualifiers likely would not have gone too far anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if some other method is used next year, or at least after this latest four-year period ends. Going to 4 classes I also think would be a good idea, I wish they'd go to that in basketball, baseball, softball too.

i do agree that blackman's schedule is not as strong as oaklands, riverdale, or smyrna...but in NO WAY agree that blackman had a cake walk into the playoffs last year ...we were 9-1 in the regular season with wins over riverdale, brentwood and smyrna...only loss in regular season vs. oakland! this year blackman will play blackman vs symrna (# 1 team in state), blackman vs. oakland-# 2 or #3, blackman vs riverdale-# 6 and blackman vs brentwood # 8 or so...it will all work out in the wash but even if we end up 6-4...we still deserve playoff spot because of the district we play in and we could be district champions in many other 6A districts...we could say that oakland's schedule is not as tough as last year too...ensworth is not very strong this year...independence is terrible...siegel pretty weak...lincoln county is weak...lavergne is terrible...that 5 pretty weak teams on your schedule this year...so we have 6 weak teams and you have 5 weak teams...your post is sort of like the pot calling the kettle black...just let it play out and enjoy the ride!

you can't count Siegel and LaVergne as a weak team on Oakland's schedule and not as one on Blackmans. You have to compare non district schedules. Oakland plays, Ensworth, Independence, Brentwood, Lincoln Co, and Christian Co, KY. Blackman plays Tullahoma, Lincoln Co, Station Camp, Cane Ridge, Brentwood. So 2 common opponents. Ensworth (1-2)+Independence(1-4)+Christian Co (5-0) (win over 3-2 Clarksville High) > Station Camp (1-3)+Cane Ridge (0-4)+Tullahoma (4-1)

Not every team is "padding" their schedules. Just looks at Brentwood. Two of their non-district games are Smyrna and Oakland. Last time I checked, that was pretty good competition this year.

Not every team is "padding" their schedules. Just looks at Brentwood. Two of their non-district games are Smyrna and Oakland. Last time I checked, that was pretty good competition this year.

I don't think he meant every team is padding their schedules, BUT when the 1st tie breaker is overall record, and not head to head record for these at large playoff spots, logic dictates you SHOULD pad your schedule, which is contrary to making your team better by playing better competition. Nobody is doubting Brentwood's schedule is pretty tough this year, heck they had the same teams on last years schedule too. What we are saying is that teams that play down a class are going to get in ahead of teams like Brentwood if they don't finish 1st or 2nd in their district, and it's just not fair.

They need to go back to the way things were, top teams get playoff spots, with 1 exception if a district has a team in top 4 with a losing record it does not qualify, if a district has top 4 that qualify but have 1 or 2 teams with winning record they could get a wild card, plus it would have the regions set up for "close games" unlike the new system that saw Shelbyville travel to Clinton and such.

First off, I know it's a little premature, but it will be interesting to keep up with this throughout the next 6 weeks. 1 of the 2-2 teams would be left out, but I will list everyone with the last qualifying record until we get a few weeks closer to the playoffs.

Automatic Qualifiers (1st or 2nd in their District) Listed Alphabetically

Arlington

Bearden

Brentwood

Coffee Co

Cookeville

Dickson Co

Dobyns-Bennett

Franklin

Hardin Valley

John Overton

McGavock

Oakland

Smyrna

Soddy Daisy

Whitehaven

Wooddale

Wildcards (Listed by overall record)

Bradley Central (4-1)

Riverdale (4-1)

Science Hill (4-1)

Blackman (4-1)

Brighton (4-1)

Maryville (3-1)

Franklin Co (3-1)

Mt. Juliet (3-1)

Millington (3-1)

Sevier Co (3-2)

Heritage (3-2)

Southwind (2-2)

Oak Ridge (2-2)

Collierville (2-2)

Farragut (2-2)

Ooltewah (2-2)

Germantown (2-2)

Let's hear your thoughts.

Didn't see Cumberland Co. on the list. They are 2-2 as well and played Cookeville last week and looked solid.

i wish every team had the desire for competition that Brentwood does. They scheduled 3 top 10 teams in Oakland, Smyrna, and Gallatin. unlike Ravenwood goin against goodpasture and frikin page

I don't think he meant every team is padding their schedules, BUT when the 1st tie breaker is overall record, and not head to head record for these at large playoff spots, logic dictates you SHOULD pad your schedule, which is contrary to making your team better by playing better competition. Nobody is doubting Brentwood's schedule is pretty tough this year, heck they had the same teams on last years schedule too. What we are saying is that teams that play down a class are going to get in ahead of teams like Brentwood if they don't finish 1st or 2nd in their district, and it's just not fair.

if they do it wont matter cuz in the playoffs once they face a team like Brentwood they will not have been prepared for their level of competition and BHS will be and will beat those teams that dont want real competition and decide to pad their schedules