TSSAA false start rule!

OldJacketFan

Should TSSAA change the false start rule?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. The rule should be changed to stop the clock!

I learned the TSSAA rule that a team can false start in a game with 3 minutes or more left and be granted a full 25 seconds for their next play last Friday night at the Henry County vs Springfield game. Now that we have seen this rule in action, I hope a team in the state championship game false starts 10 times with a 1 point lead in the championship game this December. To be honest, a team with no times outs is in a pickle if the team is winning by 1 point at at the 30 yard line on 3rd down with 4 minutes remaining in the game and understands the ruling by TSSAA. A FASLE START BY THE OFFENSE GRANTS A FULL 25 SECONDS AND CLOCK WILL RUN! All A team has to do is wait for 1 second remaining on the play and false start then be granted a full 25 seconds to run another play with the game clock running. How can the TSSAA allow this to happen? How can you reward a team for an offensive false start penality by giving them a full 25 seconds and not stop the clock? From what I understand this has happened twice to Springfield this year, and one was a JV game along with last friday nights game. Also it is funny that both games were losses to the Jackets! The JV's only loss was by 4 to West Creek who false started 4 times to run a 3 minute clock down to 30 seconds, and the other was the Varsity's loss by 7 to Henry County which false started 3 times to run a 2 minute clock down to 18 seconds. I know I am harping on everyone, but someone please explain this rule to me!

If the rule is changed as you describe it I would jump offsides on purpose when I was in a two minute situation in order to stop the clock.

Example:

down by 5 with 1 minute no time outs and the ball on the 50

1:00 to go 1st and 10 on the fifty run a pass play gain 11 but still in bounds. Clock stops while chains are moved

0:51 1st and 10 on 39 we jump off sides as soon as the ref starts the clock

0:49 still 1st down 15 ball on the 44 we run another pass play gain 9 yards out of bounds

0:40 2nd and 6 run the ball up the middle on a draw play tackled on the 20 Clock stops while chains are moved

0:30 1st and 10 on 19 we jump off sides as soon as the ref starts the clock

0:28 1st and 15 on the 24 we throw another pass get out of bounds on the 12

0:22 2nd down and three on the 12 we take a shot at the endzone incomplete

0:18 3rd down and three on the 12 we run an off tackle play and gain 6 clock stops while chains are moved

0:12 1st and 6 on the 6 we jump off sides as soon as the ref starts the clock

0:10 1st and 11 on the 11 we pass out the back of the endzone incomplete

0:06 2nd and 11 on the 11 we pass incomplete

0:02 3rd and 11 on the 11 we throw touchdown

Now how many plays do we get off if we can not jump offsides and stop the clock?

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. Who needs time outs then?

true, but TSSAA doesn't have to use NFHS rules.I believe Texas and one other state uses NCAA rules.

Correct, the other state is Massachusetts.

And on the original point, there is actually an NFHS rule that allows the referee to have the clock stopped in this situation if he judges that the foul was intentional to manipulate the clock.

Correct, the other state is Massachusetts.

And on the original point, there is actually an NFHS rule that allows the referee to have the clock stopped in this situation if he judges that the foul was intentional to manipulate the clock.

I spoke with an official and he confirmed this. The White Hat has the ability to flag a team if he feels that they are abusing this rule. He told me three times is his limit them he would flag the abusing team for unsportmanlike conduct, mark off 15, stop the clock, and make them run a play. The main problem I had with this play with SHS and HC was how HC was jumping. Instead of someone on the line backing up or the wide out jumping they would have a lineman fire off into our defensive lineman and knock him to the ground. They could have hurt someone very early in the season.